Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Yet, in communications from Marriott, that's exactly what they claim will happen.
You are mixing SPG with Marriott.

Marriott comms (MARRIOTT website) show MR Gold transfers to Plat in August. No asterisks or caveats

https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/

scroll down to see the planned transitions. MARRIOTT Gold Elite becomes Plat

Everybody please ignore SPG - it is a big red herring

UNITED and MARRIOTT RewardsPlus only concerns MP and MR. SPG is a different program and in August SPG is dead.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Jul 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

That is in dispute. I expect Marriott Gold acquired by any means to become Plat on Aug 1 through end of year or Feb 1 or whenever their new year reset begins. Converting some MR Gold to Plat but not others in August is ripe for blowback.
They closest thing to a statement is that nights accumulated in both programs that will apply August. They haven't explicit come out and said matched gold from United gold will convert to platinum. I've seen explicit statements that matched Marriott gold from Starwood gold would stay gold in the new program. At this point if I had to put money on what matched status in August from United gold will be it would be gold, but it's up in the air. There will be blowback from Starwood golds if they give UA golds platinum for sure.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
They closest thing to a statement is that nights accumulated in both programs that will apply August. They haven't explicit come out and said matched gold from United gold will convert to Platinum.
They have done one better and said MR Gold converts to MR Platinum on Aug 1. Full stop and no caveats.

they didn’t say that folks that got to Gold courtesy of a free 15 credit head start to Gold by having a Marriott CC would convert to Platinum. But they will be Platinum come Aug is there any doubt?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have done one better and said MR Gold converts to MR Platinum on Aug 1. Full stop and no caveats.
Except, very much not “full stop and no caveats.”

Members who are MR Gold due to a match from SPG Gold will not be MR New Platinum.

They haven’t said one way or the other whether members who are MR Gold due to a promotional match from UA will be MR New Platinum.

You’re welcome to assume whatever you want — lots of people are assuming they’ll be New Gold, and lots are assuming they’ll be New Platinum. But it’s disingenuous to claim that MR has already settled it. They haven’t.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Except, very much not “full stop and no caveats.”

Members who are MR Gold due to a match from SPG Gold will not be MR New Platinum.

They haven’t said one way or the other whether members who are MR Gold due to a promotional match from UA will be MR New Platinum.

You’re welcome to assume whatever you want — lots of people are assuming they’ll be New Gold, and lots are assuming they’ll be New Platinum. But it’s disingenuous to claim that MR has already settled it. They haven’t.
Calling out the SPG exception makes it even more clear They didn't call out anything wrt to RewardsPlus, or credit card holders etc etc. The plain language on the web page i linked above is very clear - MR Gold --> Platfinum in August. Now if you're saying MR may turn out to be disingenuous and shaft UA:MR RewardsPlus folks blindly, well then I'd wonder if Smisek is on their staff.. But the plain English language is very precise. No assumptions needed.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
There will be blowback from Starwood golds if they give UA golds platinum for sure.
There should already be blowback from SPGers regardless. I'm surprised MR was so catty. Easiest to extend the benefits of "old" MR Gold through end of the membership year (Feb 1 or whatever), inclusive of the transition to Plat.

However SPG is irrelevant as far as UA:MR RewardsPlus is concerned.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But the plain English language is very precise. No assumptions needed.
lol I'm not sure Marriott has figured out what they're doing yet with RewardsPlus. They can't even get their stories straight on a date for the program switchover. And they've already changed their minds on multiple program terms from what was originally announced.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:36 pm

LOL - good point Kacee. And now I wonder if UA will give Silver for folks that got drifted up to "new" MR Platinum from "old" MR Gold. I doubt UA's crack staff has spent a lot of time noodling over that...or even if they would be able to tell how a customer attained "new" Platinum
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

You are mixing SPG with Marriott.
No, I'm not. I have e-mails from Marriott which I've pasted the contents of here or one of the related threads before. I have no SPG account and get no SPG communications.

The e-mails from Marriott say that the chart is for earned status, not matched or linked status. What's unclear is whether or not RewardsPlus counts as earned or matched... Honestly, the easiest interpretation is that RewardsPlus is linked status and thus will not be upgraded in the new program (e.g. MR Gold -> MR Gold), but I am hoping that is not the case.

Last edited by exerda; Jul 11, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by exerda
No, I'm not.
You are. Linking and status matching can be only occurred with SPG.

1. You can't really match an airline status with a hotel status. So RewardsPlus is merely linking without status match.

2. You can status match from other programs. But your account will not be linked.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:20 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's pretty clear (to me) that Starwood Gold level is currently inferior to Marriott's Gold. So keeping them as MR Gold in August does make sense, and really no room for complaints. Starwood has excellent higher status levels than lowly Gold.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Zip
It's pretty clear (to me) that Starwood Gold level is currently inferior to Marriott's Gold.
That has always been true. SPG Gold is closer to MR Silver.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:31 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
I posted because many in this thread seem puzzled that SPG will "only be given MR Gold."
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:37 pm

I got the Marriott Gold match through UA (and then the SPG Gold from that). I'm currently at 9 Marriott nights and 42 SPG nights in 2018. I assume that, come August, I am definitely Platinum Premier (both from being Marriott Gold and from having a combined 51 nights). And, I just keep that through 2019, no matter what happens with the UA matching, right?

I'm UA 1K, but I suspect that Platinum Premier would be the highest match, even if they do a tiered matching as some are suggesting; however, if 1K matches to higher (say, Platinum Elite), I'd get that even if I don't hit 75 nights. Right? I've got a few more stays in 2018, but unlikely to hit 75 nights.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by frontenac551
I got the Marriott Gold match through UA (and then the SPG Gold from that). I'm currently at 9 Marriott nights and 42 SPG nights in 2018. I assume that, come August, I am definitely Platinum Premier (both from being Marriott Gold and from having a combined 51 nights). And, I just keep that through 2019, no matter what happens with the UA matching, right?

I'm UA 1K, but I suspect that Platinum Premier would be the highest match, even if they do a tiered matching as some are suggesting; however, if 1K matches to higher (say, Platinum Elite), I'd get that even if I don't hit 75 nights. Right? I've got a few more stays in 2018, but unlikely to hit 75 nights.
Platinum Premier is 75 nights.
Platinum is 50 nights.

The merge takes place in August. So you'll have 51 nights in 2018. That makes you Platinum Marriott. If you were Marriott Platinum prior to August, then you'd be bumped to Platinum Premier.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Platinum Premier is 75 nights.
Platinum is 50 nights.

The merge takes place in August. So you'll have 51 nights in 2018. That makes you Platinum Marriott. If you were Marriott Platinum prior to August, then you'd be bumped to Platinum Premier.
Looks like I accidentally swapped Elite versus Premier (still getting used to the new terms).

With 52 nights and coming from Marriott Gold, I'll be the new Platinum Elite (both from the nights and from the old Marriott status) which I'll keep through 2019 no matter what happens with the UA matching. If I make to to 75 nights (or there is improved tiered matching from UA - which seems unlikely), I'd make it to Platinum Premier for 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.