Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Old Feb 15, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Of course, it's possible Marriott wants to keep these matched Platinums for another year to offset "regular" elites who are booking elsewhere because of the merger and Bonvoy.
If true, I wish theyíd tell us. I donít want to make bookings unless Iím sure Iíll keep on getting Plat benefits.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Of course, it's possible Marriott wants to keep these matched Platinums for another year to offset "regular" elites who are booking elsewhere because of the merger and Bonvoy.
Personally, I'd bet on IT delays vs a planned strategy
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post

If true, I wish theyíd tell us. I donít want to make bookings unless Iím sure Iíll keep on getting Plat benefits.
I made a bunch of bookings yesterday after I found out I MIGHT still be Platinum. But Iím keeping my alternates just in case. I hate to do that, but I have no reason to stay at Marriotts with no real benifits.
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:55 am

I doubt they would ever tell us.
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
Nope maybe 3 nights. Guessing this is a Global Services 'gift'?
Interest; seems probably related to GS. Had you been gifted the 75-night level ('Platinum Premier Elite') before the Bonvoy change?
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I doubt they would ever tell us.
I just made a booking for a Courtyard at the end of March, because the stakes are low if my Platinum doesn't stick.

On the other hand, I made a Radisson Blu booking for mid-March because it was 100 Euros cheaper per night than the Marriott rate. I would have booked the Marriott if I knew for sure that 1K's would keep Platinum. Talk about irrational behavior!
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: NonePass
Because this uncertainty, I just made 8 nights of reservation (at 3 different properties) with breakfast included rate

I wish I could be cheap, but had to play safe

My plan is to get a platinum challenge started before my travel if I drop to gold. Plus some pillow runs, hopefully I can get platinum at least until 2021/2.
Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Can anyone confirm if UA matched gold can do such platinum challenges?

Also, it looks like Marriott is running a targeted promotion. It will be swell if I can get the 2 elite nights per one paid night promotion. Then with the 15 elite nights credit from credit card, it probably won't be too hard to get platinum by actually staying
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ry-2019-a.html

However, I got nothing under the promotion tab does any of you UA-matched-platinum got any targeted promotions?

Last edited by tetrahydrofuran; Feb 15, 19 at 10:45 am
Old Feb 15, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...

I also continue to have Plat status.
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Iím currently at the JWM Sahar at BOM and my Platinum Elite was recognized at check in. Good news as I have another 3 nights at JWM/ITCs this week.

Looking good so far for those of us that had the Gold matching and merged our MR and SPG accounts at the ďrightĒ time. Indeed thereís a good chance Iíll hit 50 nights this year and earn PlatElite outright anyway, so if the status continues thereís a good incentive for me.
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Maybe this has something to do with it? They’re losing customers so now they want us back?

Interesting Bloomberg Report/Theory on Marriott Woes Driving HHonors Enrollments
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Me too!
Old Feb 15, 19, 2:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Maybe this has something to do with it? Theyíre losing customers so now they want us back?

Interesting Bloomberg Report/Theory on Marriott Woes Driving HHonors Enrollments
If it's a conscious decision to staunch the flow of lost business, then the approach is puzzling. Why not tell people about a real enhancement to BonVoY so that customers on the fence (like me) would actually make more Marriott bookings as a result?
Old Feb 15, 19, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA*G life-qualifier
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Interest; seems probably related to GS. Had you been gifted the 75-night level ('Platinum Premier Elite') before the Bonvoy change?
I dunno I got no official communication from them. I spend a lot when I stay but literally only 3 nights in 2018. Guess I got lucky!!!
Old Feb 15, 19, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
historically Marriott has downgraded towards the end of February ... don't get your hopes up. If it is March 10 and Plat is still there ... that's a different story.
tryathlete and terryversay like this.
Old Feb 16, 19, 1:24 am

Programs: UA*G life-qualifier
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
historically Marriott has downgraded towards the end of February ... don't get your hopes up. If it is March 10 and Plat is still there ... that's a different story.
Thanks for the tip. I don't really care if I get downgraded to general member as the cities I visit most have better hotels than the Marriott family. Also, I have found the room 'upgrades' in the past turn out to be less desirable than the one I booked. I am loyal to United where status really counts for me. I'd rather stay at a Mandarin or SLH if possible, and Soho House is expanding rapidly in international markets. Finally, I don'y understand why they make me a Titanium Elite if I rarely patronize Marriott. I don't deserve it!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: