Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is not at all difficult as even a moderately frequent traveler to attain Marriott Platinum. All it takes is either the Chase or AMEX card and 35 nights. If you're not willing to do 35 Marriott nights per year, I don't see how the word "loyalty" can credibly apply.
Personally I would love to see the end of attaining status on one program and being given some level of status in a different program due to these partnership relationships. I guess I am from the old school where we should earn our status based on the loyalty of that particular brand. Of course I can say this since I am a lifetime Platinum Elite member with all points earned by staying at Marriott properties. I am now working on lifetime Diamond at Hilton properties. Three more years as a Diamond and I will qualify.

Now on the flip side of my personal beliefs, it is nice to be offered some level of premium status based on the loyalty of another program. In these cases I don't believe the upper tier status levels should be offered gratis. In terms of Marriott, maybe Silver status should be offered gratis and certainly no higher than Gold. This would diminish those who really are loyal to Marriott properties and that would probably not be wise in the long run for any frequent traveler program. A better program with worthy amenities earned based on status is, and always will be, the way to attain loyalty.
UA_Flyer likes this.

Last edited by RobotDoctor; Dec 27, 2018 at 9:06 am Reason: grammar and punctuation
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
wondering if the RewardsPlus program will continue into 2019?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caseminole
wondering if the RewardsPlus program will continue into 2019?
I haven't noticed a clearer statement that it will, but the text on the page
https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...rogram-changes
seems to imply that it will
In February 2019, all registered MileagePlus members who requalify for RewardsPlus for the next program year will receive the updated Gold Elite status benefits for a full calendar year with Rewards and SPG.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:31 pm

Any experience with Marriott Rewards when a booking is made as a Platinum Elite( by UA status match) and by time the hotel stay occurs , the OP has ceased being that and dropped to a lower level.
As a last hurrah , I am thinking about booking for a week in Asia mid february this year.
The Marriott's Rewards site still recognises me as plat elite .
If I made the booking now but not stay til Feb, will the new status apply at the hotel - ie no lounge access?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozflier
Any experience with Marriott Rewards when a booking is made as a Platinum Elite( by UA status match) and by time the hotel stay occurs , the OP has ceased being that and dropped to a lower level.
As a last hurrah , I am thinking about booking for a week in Asia mid february this year.
The Marriott's Rewards site still recognises me as plat elite .
If I made the booking now but not stay til Feb, will the new status apply at the hotel - ie no lounge access?
I think the consensus is that status will change at some undetermined time in February. So you can gamble on lounge access, but I don't believe there is a definite answer.

Although I very much appreciate the lounge benefit of MR, I can't think of any that feel 'hurrah'.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fumje
I think the consensus is that status will change at some undetermined time in February.
But I wouldn't count on anything past 31 January. That's one reason I moved a mid-February stay from the Westin SFO to Fairfield.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:44 pm

has it been confirmed that GS won't get plat next year?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
has it been confirmed that GS won't get plat next year?
There has been no statement by Marriott or United to the contrary.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
But I wouldn't count on anything past 31 January. That's one reason I moved a mid-February stay from the Westin SFO to Fairfield.
Thank you all .
I was wondering if the important issue was the status at the time of booking was the winning issue rather than that at the time of the stay.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I was wondering if the important issue was the status at the time of booking was the winning issue rather than that at the time of the stay.
It's definitely at the time of the stay, so if your status goes up, it's to your advantage.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Thank you all .
I think it is the time of stay as most of the time they give me the upgrade at time of checkin. It is space available so again that to me sounds like time of stay. My last Marriott stay is tonight at Rensissance LHR - love the runway views from the lounge. Rooms are not great but just use it to sleep but the lounge has made it my go to LHR hotel

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jan 7, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's definitely at the time of the stay, so if your status goes up, it's to your advantage.
Ta,
My status is going lower so no advantage.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:49 pm

Lack of lounge access/free breakfast ends booking Marriott for me.

Now it's back to booking the best hotel I can get for $BUDGET that has free breakfast included in the rate.
cranky1K and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by sincx
Lack of lounge access/free breakfast ends booking Marriott for me.

Now it's back to booking the best hotel I can get for $BUDGET that has free breakfast included in the rate.
How I choose my hotels, but Marriott generally got the nod due to lounge (including breakfast).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
How I choose my hotels, but Marriott generally got the nod due to lounge (including breakfast).
Same with me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.