Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But how do I know how I got MR Gold? I had it for a few years via UA/MR RewardsPlus program. Then at some point I used my Amex Plat benefit to get SPG Gold. Then Marriott bought SPG and I linked the accounts. So essentially I have two avenues to MR Gold, but I don't know for the current year which road Marriott used to award me MR Gold.
I have the same problem. I initially got MR Gold from the SPG status match which would match to Gold, but this year I got the Ritz card which bestows MR Gold for the first year which since it's native MR Gold and I think should match to Platinum. I think we're just going to have to wait and see.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jun 27, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Airbnb here I come!!

i have started using Airbnb more and more and it just doesn’t make sense to use these dinosaurs of hotel chains anymore.

Devaluing benefits just puts the nail in the coffin that much sooner. Let’s see, free breakfast, free coffee, flexible cancellation policy‘s, flexible in and out check in and out, local knowledge, and knowing that I am helping someone Instead of a nameless chain , priceless!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bballdad175
and knowing that I am helping someone Instead of a nameless chain , priceless!
Nameless chain is a little harsh, no? Are United and Delta nameless chains?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bballdad175
Airbnb here I come!!

i have started using Airbnb more and more and it just doesn’t make sense to use these dinosaurs of hotel chains anymore.

Devaluing benefits just puts the nail in the coffin that much sooner. Let’s see, free breakfast, free coffee, flexible cancellation policy‘s, flexible in and out check in and out, local knowledge, and knowing that I am helping someone Instead of a nameless chain , priceless!
My first experience with Airbnb was my last.

The nail in the coffin was that they would not give us two keys. We are two adults that need flexibility of coming in and out. Our flight got delayed so it nearly caused a problem getting the key (we arrived at 8:30 PM instead of 7:00 PM). Good that the cleaning lady was available to wait for us. And good for us that even though the airbnb was in MUC, my wife realized after trying to communicate with signs that she spoke Spanish. So, here it got easier because after rapid talk in Spanish, the cleaning lady called the manager (yes, that property was not managed by an individual owner but by a manager) who refused to give us a second key. More rapid talk and my wife obtained the cleaning lady's key.

The manager had requested by email that we would be quiet so that we would not bother the neighbors. Bad luck, the neighbor had a party until 3:00 AM and we could do nothing to have the party move somewhere else. In a hotel, I call the reception and immediately they send a guard to calm things down.

There was no local knowledge to be obtained.

Yes, I felt that I was helping a manager who could not care less and misrepresented the property. Good that the next location we were moving to let us move some days ahead of our reservation.

I like these dinosaurs hotel chains because I know what I'm getting.

But to come back to the subject of this thread. I started trying Marriotts because of the status match with United. Lucky that my last Marriott reservation is in July. I then have time to see how things continue forward. Usually, I stay in Hiltons and I have to say that they have treated me very well. I even got upgrades to suites when it's not a benefit for Golds.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jun 27, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I will add that I started staying at Marriotts largely due to the matched Gold status via UA, and liked the program enough to switch over when Hyatt kicked me out with the 60 night requirement for "Globalist." I'll easily clear 75 combined Marriott and SPG nights this year, and of course believe the door should be closed behind me
I always find the hotel status game an interesting color

For contrast, I'm SPG "loyal" on business travel because I have consistently found the Westin brand to be significantly superior to any other [comparable] chain I've stayed at. On personal travel I'm usually in an Airbnb or foreign business hotel as US hotels are crazy expensive.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My first experience with Airbnb was my last.

Yes, I felt that I was helping a manager who could not care less and misrepresented the property. Good that the next location we were moving to let us move some days ahead of our reservation.

I like these dinosaurs hotel chains because I know what I'm getting.
My sentiments exactly.
Airbnb sounds likes a fantastic idea, in practice it is horribly inconsistent, and there are too many layers of bureaucracy to go through to resolve a problem. One of the reasons that I like Hampton Inns is because of consistency. Are there minor service failures and quality shortfalls with Hampton? Certainly, but there are far less than the abysmal failures I've had with some Airbnb stays.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 27, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The biggest thing I value from Marriott/SPG Plat is the guaranteed 4pm late checkout. So much so that about half of my room nights last year with SPG were on my own dime. My company’s corporate program moved all to Hilton this year so I won’t qualify for new Starriott platinum next year which makes me sad.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I am GS with United and only stayed 15 nights at Starwood properties in 2017 and I am still platnimum with Starwood and Marriott. I did spend a lot of money on a few stays and used my Ritz Reward Visa from JP Morgan a lot so maybe their is a spend requirement on hotels and credit card that is not published?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambrau
I am GS with United and only stayed 15 nights at Starwood properties in 2017 and I am still platnimum with Starwood and Marriott. I did spend a lot of money on a few stays and used my Ritz Reward Visa from JP Morgan a lot so maybe their is a spend requirement on hotels and credit card that is not published?
I thought Marriott Platinum was designated for GS enrolled in RewardsPlus? Although I'm not sure that was formally published.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by fumje
I thought Marriott Platinum was designated for GS enrolled in RewardsPlus? Although I'm not sure that was formally published.
I think that was a one time event last year
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
no longer.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
For contrast, I'm SPG "loyal" on business travel because I have consistently found the Westin brand to be significantly superior to any other [comparable] chain I've stayed at. On personal travel I'm usually in an Airbnb or foreign business hotel as US hotels are crazy expensive.
Westin is the favorite brand of my wife. She joined when it was independent of Sheraton. On a trip to Japan in 1996, she stayed in Tokyo in a hotel that was not a Westin but was affiliated with it. On the check-in counter, she saw a Westin membership application. She completed it, then told the check-in agent: this is my Westin number. Result: she got free breakfast for every day of her stay.

We still stay in Westins once or twice a year even though we don't get any benefits. Just enjoying the brand.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
this will finally relieve the insane crowding in lounges ... it's about time.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
this will finally relieve the insane crowding in lounges ... it's about time.
I agree - "about time". The lounges have gotten way too crowded. Too many people are eligible. Some hotels seem like 1/2 the guests are eligible. Marriott has created M Lounges at some properties on the 1st or 2nd floor to handle the crowd, but I am not a big fan of the M Lounge.

Marriott gave too much to United. UA only gave Silver MR - which does not get Lounge access. Seemed like Marriott was getting the short end of the stick by giving the old MR Gold with lounge access. The new MR Gold (without lounge) is more matched to UA Silver.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by cova
I agree - "about time". The lounges have gotten way too crowded. Too many people are eligible. Some hotels seem like 1/2 the guests are eligible. Marriott has created M Lounges at some properties on the 1st or 2nd floor to handle the crowd, but I am not a big fan of the M Lounge.

Marriott gave too much to United. UA only gave Silver MR - which does not get Lounge access. Seemed like Marriott was getting the short end of the stick by giving the old MR Gold with lounge access. The new MR Gold (without lounge) is more matched to UA Silver.
And, some M lounges, like the one at IAH, are small. I will admit that, as both a lifetime Marriott Platinum and a 1K, I have little use for the so-called matching, and as mentioned, the Marriott lounges can be ridiculously overcrowded because of the Starwood elites who have been matched.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to use Marriott lounges, stay at Marriott/Starwood, buy the credit card, etc. After all, how would we UA elites feel about Marriott elites who don't generally fly UA getting group 1 just because of a deal between UA and Marriott?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.