Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Marriott Plat Status for Matched UA Elites staring Aug 18,2018 until Jan 2019, after?

Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by frontenac551
Looks like I accidentally swapped Elite versus Premier (still getting used to the new terms).

With 52 nights and coming from Marriott Gold, I'll be the new Platinum Elite (both from the nights and from the old Marriott status) which I'll keep through 2019 no matter what happens with the UA matching. If I make to to 75 nights (or there is improved tiered matching from UA - which seems unlikely), I'd make it to Platinum Premier for 2019.
"If" (and I think that's a big 'if') we get enhanced matching from RewardsPlus I think it'll be 1K & GS to MR Platinum. I don't expect them to bump us to the 75 night tier, though have heard that they did for GS before. They could possibly leave GS at the 75 night tier, Plat & 1K at the 50 night tier, and the lower tier for all others qualifying, but I don't see that happening as there has already been a significant degradation of MileagePlus Platinum benefits after RewardsPlus was launched.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung
You are. Linking and status matching can be only occurred with SPG.

1. You can't really match an airline status with a hotel status. So RewardsPlus is merely linking without status match.

2. You can status match from other programs. But your account will not be linked.
I hope you are correct. But to date, I have received no communications from Marriott or United stating definitively that RewardsPlus-granted status will be upgraded this year (Gold -> Platinum, for example) on 8/1, and hanging everything on whether or not RewardsPlus meets the "linking & matching" language seems rather optimistic in light of that.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
I hope you are correct. But to date, I have received no communications from Marriott or United stating definitively that RewardsPlus-granted status will be upgraded this year (Gold -> Platinum, for example) on 8/1, and hanging everything on whether or not RewardsPlus meets the "linking & matching" language seems rather optimistic in light of that.
Old Gold to new Platinum is closer to par. Not really an upgrade.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I am a Marriott Platinum, and was granted United Silver back in March.

Will this change?

Sorry, there seems to be so much information on this, I'm just wondering what will happen to my United status
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
New Plat is an upgrade over old Gold because you get more points (50% bonus rather than 25%) and a welcome gift. There's also the "Annual Choice Benefit' (SNAs), although it's unclear whether that would be applicable to gifted status.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
New Plat is an upgrade over old Gold because you get more points (50% bonus rather than 25%) and a welcome gift. There's also the "Annual Choice Benefit' (SNAs), although it's unclear whether that would be applicable to gifted status.
Plat will also in theory at least get breakfast at resorts, which old Gold never got. SNA's will be triggered by nights.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Plat will also in theory at least get breakfast at resorts, which old Gold never got.
No one got breakfast at resorts (unless they paid)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
I am a Marriott Platinum, and was granted United Silver back in March.

Will this change?

Sorry, there seems to be so much information on this, I'm just wondering what will happen to my United status
Doubt anything will change this year (as it present states on your account), next year is an open question
As normal, this has been an year to year agreement and with the merger and Marriott elite structure changes, suspect this is going to be an interesting UA/Marriott discussion for next year.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Right. But old Gold -> new Gold is definitely a downgrade.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by exerda
Let me put it this way for you.

The purpose of excluding "linking & matching" is to avoid link-and-match SPG Gold to obtain a more superior status than earned. From those of us getting Marriott Gold via UA, the purported new Marriott Platinum is not really an upgrade, but a re-alignment. Because all of us have been comped a status that is more superior than SPG Gold, I see no point where Marriott will downgrade us. At least for now.

(Note - before the merger, it is relatively difficult to earn Marriott Gold than SPG Gold. Also, Marriott Gold offers more benefits than SPG Gold.)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What many of us had predicted is now confirmed by Marriott spokesperson: In August UA Golds matched to Marriott Gold will go to Plat, but will drop back to Gold in January 2019. End speculation, deal with the new reality. Personally I'm going to book a couple more Rewarding Meetings...

Loyalty Lobby is fairly reliable: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/07/12/...e-august-2018/
escapefromphl likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jul 12, 2018 at 11:22 pm
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
, deal with the new reality.
Downgrade to what is now SPG Gold (ie. useless with zero benefits) = byebye Marriott. Plenty of other better non-chain hotels around the world for less money.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
What many of us had predicted is now confirmed by Marriott spokesperson: In August UA Golds matched to Marriott Gold will go to Plat, but will drop back to Gold in January 2018. End speculation, deal with the new reality. Personally I'm going to book a couple more Rewarding Meetings...

Loyalty Lobby is fairly reliable: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/07/12/...e-august-2018/
Thank goodness! We've had so much speculation on this we've started to sound like news outlets.

Someone PLEASE update the title of this thread!
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What many of us had predicted is now confirmed by Marriott spokesperson: In August UA Golds matched to Marriott Gold will go to Plat, but will drop back to Gold in January 2018. End speculation, deal with the new reality. Personally I'm going to book a couple more Rewarding Meetings...

Think you mean Jan 2019 and there wasn't a direct answer to the post Jan 2019 situation -- a strong inference but not a direct answer.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Think you mean Jan 2019 and there wasn't a direct answer to the post Jan 2019 situation -- a strong inference but not a direct answer.
A very strong inference.

IMO the only reason to question whether the link will revert to Gold in Jan. 2019 is that Marriott has something of a history already of walking back pronouncements about the new program.

That said, this feels to me like the correct approach. Flame away

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.