Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA->MIAT-Mongolian Airlines (IATA OM) Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA->MIAT-Mongolian Airlines (IATA OM) Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I've been to ULN. Two pieces of advice. One, go thru ICN. Either take carrier of choice to MIAT or fly KE the whole way. Second, prepare for travel frustration on a whole new level. I've never seen a city with less access to taxis. There is no uber either. People get around by hitchhiking with cash in hand. And English language signs are few and far between. English speakers even rarer despite claims that English is replacing Russian as a second language. So in other words, prepare to hike around using google maps or make arrangements for a private driver (which we eventually did, because it was taking 45 minutes to get a taxi at the ShangriLa)
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by swingaling

Yup. That happened to me last month. CA901 and OM224 both got a 9-10 hour delay for “weather”. They eventually left, but it seemed to be a common occurrence that week. The PEK-ULN flights were hit with 9-10 hour delays on alternating days all week.
+1 on the 10 hour delay, where I was stuck at the airport, due to weather delay in PEK and the inbound CA plane was held. However, the OM flight to PEK did take off. The airline did arrange for a free meal from the employee cafeteria.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
X2 on double checking the biometric data with Visa application. They don't require it in LA nor have I heard of any of my friends being asked for it either.
I think it was in the TWOV thread mentioned above that the biometric data was being collected by immigration on entry to China.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM

I think it was in the TWOV thread mentioned above that the biometric data was being collected by immigration on entry to China.
But isn't that separate from getting your Visa? Doesn't every country (ok not every but almost every) collect biometric upon entry? It's become the standard practice...
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
But isn't that separate from getting your Visa? Doesn't every country (ok not every but almost every) collect biometric upon entry? It's become the standard practice...

Absolutely. Maybe what the OP heard was related to that.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have some family members who got a visa in March of this year, and they had only to provide the usual photograph. (Of course, some biometrics potentially could be extracted from the photograph, but I assume that is not what anyone is discussing.) Some Chinese airports are collecting fingerprints on arrival, but indeed that is not directly related to getting a visa.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
MSC is not relevant for travel from/to USA. DOT state the baggage policies of the first marketing carrier on the ticket covers the entire trip.

Only if you are transiting to specific countries, but would have to check the TWOV rules to check this specific situation.
Not really. I am *G with UA, travel a lot to Riyadh and Dubai. On the outbound flights I have allowance of 2 bags at 70lbs (32kg) on the return flight where Lufthansa is first carrier I have only allowance of 2x 50lbs (23kg).

Same thing goes when I fly to Dubai with United/Swiss. On the outbound I have 2x 70lbs on the return I have 2x 50lbs.

On my recent flight IAD-NRT-BKK and back I had the same thing. On the outbound 2x 70lbs on the return 2x 50lbs.

What gives?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwiadca
What gives?
UA gives you an extra allowance (70 lbs vs 50 lbs) related to your status with them. Other carriers aren't required to match that, but merely to match UA's policy for non-status travelers -- 1 bag at 50 lbs on those routes. Star Alliance Gold status then gives you one extra bag beyond United's base allowance.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Not really. I am *G with UA, travel a lot to Riyadh and Dubai. On the outbound flights I have allowance of 2 bags at 70lbs (32kg) on the return flight where Lufthansa is first carrier I have only allowance of 2x 50lbs (23kg). ...
This is a common point of confusion

Both DOT rules and MSC (not applicable in this case) refer to ticket benefits. The DOT requires the ticket bag benefit of the first marketed flight to apply to all subsequent bag check-ins. The ticket bag benefit to RUH in economy is 2x50 -- that is the minimum you should get regardless of who you check in with.

However, UA does offer an extra (non-DOT required) benefit to UA elites if checking in with UA and in your case you will be allowed a 3x70 bag allowance in economy as UA *G.

Note LH in economy is normally 1 bag and you get an additional bag as *G, so 2x50 -- the same as the ticket benefit.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Specifically it came up in conversation during the CLE FFG Mini-DO with another FTer (who I happened to know from another group as well) he mentioned that for applying for a Chinese visa from Cleveland the Chinese Consulate in NY (where we have to have visas processed) is now requiring biometric data in person as part of the application process.

I get the sense that no all consuls are requiring this -- and perhaps the information I got about NY is incorrect -- but of all of the people to pass this along, he is one of 10 or so I would trust by default.

In any event given the word about flight delays from ULN-PEK and vv perhaps it's all entirely moot anyway
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Absolutely. Maybe what the OP heard was related to that.
I wanted to jump on the bandwagon of calling this in-person fingerprinting BS, but the visa agency I always use (CVSC) recently added a note on this to their page.

"Personal appearance at Chinese Embassy may be required for fingerprinting. Please call for details."

(from http://www.mychinavisa.com/visas/business)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
I've been to ULN. Two pieces of advice. One, go thru ICN. Either take carrier of choice to MIAT or fly KE the whole way. Second, prepare for travel frustration on a whole new level. I've never seen a city with less access to taxis. There is no uber either. People get around by hitchhiking with cash in hand. And English language signs are few and far between. English speakers even rarer despite claims that English is replacing Russian as a second language. So in other words, prepare to hike around using google maps or make arrangements for a private driver (which we eventually did, because it was taking 45 minutes to get a taxi at the ShangriLa)
This is common in ex CIS countries where every car is a taxi in terms of they will pick up stray fares for cash if convenient to them. Just stick out the arm and either have the address written in Cyrillic or know a landmark or have the address in your gps.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.