Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus: Bonus UA Miles for Marriott Bookings (500 miles per booking 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jsloan
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've just noticed this appearing in the past couple of days: https://promotions.united.com/offers/marriottbonus . It appears to be a cross-promotion for Marriott linked to upcoming flights linked to your MileagePlus number.

It requires a login and claims to have personalized offers, although mine are all the same -- 1K bonus miles per stay, plus 500 extra as a Marriott Gold or Platinum member.

The T&C for the offer require booking through the links on this specific website, exclude the Starwood properties as well as a handful of Marriott properties, and require that you book the Member Rate or Marriott Rewards Member Rate. (ie: corporate rates, AAA rates, etc. don't qualify; neither do points stays).

I posted the T&C into the wiki for anyone who's interested.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A couple of data points here:

Just got my first bonus posted, for a checkout on 7/3. All 1500 miles posted simultaneously, as one line-item.

Once you have a linked stay, there doesn't appear to be any way to unlink it; nor does it seem that you can cancel the original reservation and replace it.

Award and cash flights both now appear in the list for linking.

If you are planning back-to-back stays, start from the end chronologically and work forward. I was flying AAA-BBB (stay) - CCC (stay) - DDD, and when I booked the stay at BBB, it linked it to both the AAA-BBB flight (correct) and the BBB-CCC flight (???). That prevented me from linking my CCC stay. I expect it would have been different if I had booked the stay at CCC first.

If you block advertisements, make sure that functionality is disabled or your stay may not link properly.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another couple of updates:

1 - the display of linked reservations doesn't always seem to work. However, that doesn't always seem to matter; I've had two bonuses appear in the past week, neither of which showed up as linked after I booked them.
2 - One of these two bookings was for a hotel over 200 miles from the airport; while the search will default to your destination city, I was successfully able to change it and the reservation still posted. ^ I did keep the same arrival date.

I'd be curious to hear if people have been able to link reservations that weren't even remotely related to the associated flight. (For example, if you're staying at a non-Marriott property on an upcoming trip, can you link that trip to some unrelated hotel stay, perhaps where you're driving or otherwise not flying UA?)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:27 am

Does anyone else have trouble loading the link to the site to make the booking? Takes ages when I try to do it...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I still dont get how this work, so is it if i dont have a UA flight then i dont have a link to book the hotel ? Also is this a permanent promo ? As it does not specify from when to when.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by walkertalk322
Does anyone else have trouble loading the link to the site to make the booking? Takes ages when I try to do it...
It does seem to take a while to load up the promotions page, yes. Mine took about 12 seconds to "verify offers."

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I still dont get how this work, so is it if i dont have a UA flight then i dont have a link to book the hotel ? Also is this a permanent promo ? As it does not specify from when to when.
I haven't seen anything about an expiration date.

That's correct. You need a PNR in your account to use to start the binding process. Basically, for every destination that it detects, it'll give you an opportunity to bind a hotel booking for that destination. So, if you've got a simple round-trip, it'll give you an opportunity to book one hotel, and it'll pre-populate the search with your destination and the duration of your stay. If you've got a multi-city trip, or a trip with overnight transfers, it'll give you a separate item for each place that you'll be stopping.

It seems to work for all 016-issued tickets; I have UA flights, paid partner flights on a 016 ticket, and award flights, and I get the opportunity to add a hotel to each.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
If your reservation is for a day or two after your arrival date of your flight will you still get the bonus miles?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by winkny
If your reservation is for a day or two after your arrival date of your flight will you still get the bonus miles?
I have one pending where I arrived on Friday, used an award stay (not eligible for the bonus) for Friday night, and RewardsPlus for Saturday night. It should post -- or not -- in a week or so, and I'll let you know.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I have one pending where I arrived on Friday, used an award stay (not eligible for the bonus) for Friday night, and RewardsPlus for Saturday night. It should post -- or not -- in a week or so, and I'll let you know.
Thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by winkny
Thank you.
No problem. I can confirm that these points did post as well. ^
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jsloan
It does seem to take a while to load up the promotions page, yes. Mine took about 12 seconds to "verify offers."

I haven't seen anything about an expiration date.

That's correct. You need a PNR in your account to use to start the binding process. Basically, for every destination that it detects, it'll give you an opportunity to bind a hotel booking for that destination. So, if you've got a simple round-trip, it'll give you an opportunity to book one hotel, and it'll pre-populate the search with your destination and the duration of your stay. If you've got a multi-city trip, or a trip with overnight transfers, it'll give you a separate item for each place that you'll be stopping.

It seems to work for all 016-issued tickets; I have UA flights, paid partner flights on a 016 ticket, and award flights, and I get the opportunity to add a hotel to each.
This link won't detect the origin airport so I assume that it won't work for stays at the origin airport the night before you fly?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zombietooth
This link won't detect the origin airport so I assume that it won't work for stays at the origin airport the night before you fly?
I haven’t tried it, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it worked. You can change the search city after you get linked to the Marriott site. It basically seems to be more of a referral portal than anything else. If you’re planning to stay at a Marriott anyway, and you’re not paying a significant premium for the RewardsPlus-eligible rate, I’d say give it a try and report back. The most significant restriction seems to be that you can only earn the bonus once per stop in your PNR, as calculated by UA.

Note that pm*W brands are not eligible per the T&C. That seems odd under the new, combined program, and I haven’t tried it to see if it’s just outdated text or if it’s a real restriction. The other main eligibility restriction — and I think this one’s real — is that you can’t use a negotiated rate / AAA rate / etc. You have to use the lowest public rate or Marriott Rewards rate. For a one-night stay, I don’t mind giving up a $5-10 AAA discount for 1500 MileagePlus miles, but for a multi-night stay, it pays to consider all options.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:42 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Does anyone know if the 500 bonus miles will be awarded at a former Starwood/SPG property since this no longer exists?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Does anyone know if the 500 bonus miles will be awarded at a former Starwood/SPG property since this no longer exists?
According to the T&C, they’re not. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they posted anyway (it’s actually 1000 or 1500), but the official rules say no.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:42 am

Do i have to link my United and Marriott accounts for bonus to post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.