Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is the UA interline agreement with DL dead?

Old Jun 25, 18, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Last night my flight home from EWR to DTW on UA was cancelled (regular economy, not basic). When I called to rebook, the UA rep spent a long time finding nothing until late tonight, and involving a long connection in DC. He then suggested maybe he could fly me to Cleveland and I could catch a bus (“But I don’t know what bus you would take”).

I finally asked him to search other airlines and he stated there was nothing on AA. I then asked him to search DL (knowing there were open seats on a nonstop) and he stated he couldn’t. I even asked the representative about the interline agreement between UA and DL and he said it doesn’t exist anymore so he couldn’t rebook me there. Finally he said the best thing might be for him to just refund the value of the ticket and I book my own, which is what I ended up doing (for the ridiculous price of 54k SkyMiles).

So is this true? Is there really no interline agreement with DL, or was he just lying to me?
Old Jun 25, 18, 9:24 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Wrong info. Hang up and call again.

Better yet, if you know the specific flights with availability, feed them the flight information. SHARES is known for its difficulty in searching OAL information.
Old Jun 25, 18, 9:26 am

I had an agent tell me a little less than a year ago that UA would no longer rebook folks on Delta (this was a missed connection situation because of a UA mechanical problem and all other UA options were oversold for 2 days). YMMV and I didn't have status at the time. I have no idea if that is true, though.
Old Jun 25, 18, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Wrong info. Hang up and call again.

Better yet, if you know the specific flights with availability, feed them the flight information. SHARES is known for its difficulty in searching OAL information.
I had a specific Delta routing (there were actually several ) that I offered up as options when I encountered this.

Perhaps it's a MP status thing?
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:01 am

Programs: UA-1K, HH-Gold, MR/SPG - Gold, HY-Explorist
Can't find a similar website for United, but Delta certainly believes they have an interline agreement.
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...nts--iet-.html

A few years back, Delta cut back interlining with a lot of people, including cutting off American Airlines completely for awhile, but recently restored Delta-AA interlining. I don't recall if it changed with United at all, but I assume these things are reciprocal, such that if Delta pushes to United, it would also be able to go the other direction. As to whether booking on an OAL is restricted by status, I would assume that there are internal rules around when an OAL flight is offered and I'd be surprised if status was not one of the factors. Last year, I flew at least 2 Delta segments when my flights were delayed so much as to make it the only option to get to a destination because I would misconnect.
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The rebooking preference is UA=>*A partner=>OAL. DL is still an option, but it's disfavored due to cost and it's not uncommon for agents to resist. Total HUACA situation.
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
OP, Do you have status? Maybe this influenced the agent's rationale when trying to keep you away from DL flights?
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
I recall prior to the merger sUA would auto-protect you on other carriers a la DL or AA in case of inclement weather for example to potentially avoid trip in vain situations...is SHARES even capable of doing that??
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
OP, Do you have status? Maybe this influenced the agent's rationale when trying to keep you away from DL flights?
They'll refuse sometimes if you have status, too
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:07 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lefleur View Post
I had a specific Delta routing (there were actually several ) that I offered up as options when I encountered this.

Perhaps it's a MP status thing?
My guess: DL options are to be considered last due to the higher cost, but it's not an absolute no. However, if there's a viable/practical option on UA, then they would not rebook you on DL.

Originally Posted by asquare View Post
Can't find a similar website for United, but Delta certainly believes they have an interline agreement.
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...nts--iet-.html

A few years back, Delta cut back interlining with a lot of people, including cutting off American Airlines completely for awhile, but recently restored Delta-AA interlining. I don't recall if it changed with United at all, but I assume these things are reciprocal, such that if Delta pushes to United, it would also be able to go the other direction. As to whether booking on an OAL is restricted by status, I would assume that there are internal rules around when an OAL flight is offered and I'd be surprised if status was not one of the factors. Last year, I flew at least 2 Delta segments when my flights were delayed so much as to make it the only option to get to a destination because I would misconnect.
re: DL-AA - it's not a full interlining - rebooking is only available during IRROP.
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
They'll refuse sometimes if you have status, too
That'd be rare though, no?. I've never had an issue getting on or being refused to being rebooked another airlines' flight if I request it (DL/AA) and the delay is > 3 hours.

Granted my sample size is small (3 flights) over the past 2 years, but I'm grateful for that small sample size.
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by asquare View Post
A few years back, Delta cut back interlining with a lot of people, including cutting off American Airlines completely for awhile, but recently restored Delta-AA interlining.
That's not what happened at all.

DL raised their pricing and AA was too cheap to play along so AA cut ties. Then they had an epic meltdown and came back begging a year later. UA was willing to pay to play and did not have an interruption in service.
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sterndogg View Post
is SHARES even capable of doing that??
Yes. In addition, the NOC has an entire team focused on handling proactive rebooking. Contrary to certain reports on FT, SHARES is a perfectly capable CRS. It has its warts — they all do — but it’s not nearly as inept as some people like to suggest.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
That'd be rare though, no?
No, it’s pretty much entirely the luck of the draw. In this case, since it seems that the agent was willing to look at other carriers, it was a MOLA situation. Other people might have gotten a refusal to check other carriers at all (“Sorry, it’s due to weather.”)

Status helps, but there are still plenty of agents out there who seem to think that any accommodation of a passenger is akin to leading their company into bankruptcy.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Status helps, but there are still plenty of agents out there who seem to think that any accommodation of a passenger is akin to leading their company into bankruptcy.
I wonder if there's an element of the agent not wanting to take the time to push the ticket. A quick "no" is probably best for a phone agent's volume metrics.
Old Jun 25, 18, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Yes. In addition, the NOC has an entire team focused on handling proactive rebooking. Contrary to certain reports on FT, SHARES is a perfectly capable CRS. It has its warts — they all do — but it’s not nearly as inept as some people like to suggest.
"What SHARES is capable of" and "How United has configured SHARES" are two very different things, and only the latter is really relevant here.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: