Changing FF number between flights

Old Jun 22, 18, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Changing FF number between flights

I am flying YYZ-ORD-TYO on UA/NH. UAX flight to ORD is full, and I'd rather not board last or, worse yet, get bumped off of it as a non-status passenger. I am thinking of keeping my UA (plat) MP number on the YYZ-ORD flight leg, and applying a different program FF number at ORD for the ORD-TYO.

- Got actual Y fare on YYZ-ORD, does that provide any degree of protection if they want to offload someone?
- Other than possible system confusion, are there any issues with switching FF number mid-way?
- Are there any NH agents at the lounge in ORD that could do this (or can UA agents do it for me)? Leaving it for the gate feels precarious.
Old Jun 22, 18, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by br2k View Post
I am flying YYZ-ORD-TYO on UA/NH. UAX flight to ORD is full, and I'd rather not board last or, worse yet, get bumped off of it as a non-status passenger. I am thinking of keeping my UA (plat) MP number on the YYZ-ORD flight leg, and applying a different program FF number at ORD for the ORD-TYO.

- Got actual Y fare on YYZ-ORD, does that provide any degree of protection if they want to offload someone?
- Other than possible system confusion, are there any issues with switching FF number mid-way?
- Are there any NH agents at the lounge in ORD that could do this (or can UA agents do it for me)? Leaving it for the gate feels precarious.
I would expect that the crediting for the NH operated flight will come from NH. So, it would be better to change it at the NH gate at ORD, with NH-uniformed agents. As long as you have the paper boarding pass showing the new number, and you should hold onto it until you see the credit, you should be OK.

The worst case scenario is that somehow it accidentally get credited into MilagePlus and you don't have proof that it was switched. *A has mechanism to prevent double-dipping.
Old Jun 22, 18, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by br2k View Post
Got actual Y fare on YYZ-ORD, does that provide any degree of protection if they want to offload someone?
Yes. There is virtually no chance that a passenger on an actual Y fare would be denied boarding, even in the unlikely event that they actually deny boarding to anybody. You'd almost have to be the only non-status passenger on the plane, particularly if you already have a seat assignment.
Old Jun 22, 18, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Ok, guess I'll take my chances with that Y.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: