Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What the Airline Knows About the Guy in Seat 14C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt

WSJ article on what FA know about you: https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-th...14c-1529499085

I know with AS they've called me out in a good way, greeted by name, thanks for flying etc.
Actually not yet once for UA, LOL

Some excerpts specifically for UA for people who don't have WSJ

"United rolled out a new app to its flight attendants earlier this year with so much information about people, the airline has been reluctant to turn on all the functionality. The tool can show flight attendants information on each frequent flier’s five previous flights—green if it was a good flight, yellow or red if something went wrong, like a delay. But United is worried some customers might consider that stalking"

"Personal milestones like birthdays are left to the judgment of flight attendants. They can decide whether they think a customer would appreciate the recognition or recoil, he says.

United Airlines’ app for flight attendants shows frequent-flier elite status, which customers have connecting flights and a wealth of other information. PHOTO: UNITED AIRLINESThe information is added to phones and tablets used to charge customers for food and beverage purchases. The devices can give flight attendants real-time information on tight flight connections for passengers, confirm whether a wheelchair has been ordered for a customer and help keep track of unaccompanied minors.

Many now allow flight attendants to offer instant compensation for maladies like spilled coffee or broken entertainment screens.

Better service onboard in coach will go to those with higher status. Top-tier frequent fliers, as well as those with special needs, will get more personalized attention, airlines say.

Carriers say they don’t flag “problem” passengers—perhaps frequent complainers or people involved in confrontations in the past. Airlines do ban people from their flights for altercations or abuses, and the Transportation Security Administration flags problem travelers.

But airlines are making it easier for flight crews to report problems with passengers."

"United’s new system has a color-coded seat map showing status—a black seat is a Global Services frequent flier, United’s top tier. The seat map has icons for wheelchairs and lap children. A seat with a dog face means the customer has a pet onboard. Million-mileage levels are also depicted—seat 7C has “3M” on it for 3 million miles.

Connecting flight information can be shown. Green seats have good connections, yellow seats have connections that could be in jeopardy and red is reserved for very tight connections.

Letting flight attendants know something about each passenger “allows them to engage with customers in a meaningful way,” United’s Mr. Slater says."

Last edited by chipmaster; Jun 21, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I've generally assumed that everyone could have access to everything that is in my mileageplus account. I'm OK with that.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Not surprising at all and the stuff on the FA's handheld has been public for a while now.
It's no different (and less intrusive) than what Google/FB does to curate ad personalization.
Bring it on I say. Personalization is good. (But won't it further make a FA's life more crazy than it already is...?)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I've generally assumed that everyone could have access to everything that is in my mileageplus account. I'm OK with that.
My account has passport and credit card numbers, and I do not want a random FA to have access to those.
In fact, the only thing I want FAs to know is my MP status.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I thought this was about the Kristin Chenoweth song! Anyway, spilled coffee is a malady???
MarkyMarc, getagb and N104UA like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd might not want them to know how many times I've used MPX to buy a gift card for Domino's Pizza though...
masonp123, trooper and windhund like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Does the tablet also show status for *Gold or just MP?

I was on a IAD-LAX flight a few months ago and I complained about the non-functioning wifi (I had taken this earlier flight thinking I could continue working) and I was immediately awarded a $100 E-voucher, I was very impressed!! (The fact that I have not yet been able to actually use the damn thing is an issue for another thread)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Hmmm ... I noticed the head FA on my flight from LHR to DEN was consulting his phone a lot. Interesting -- probably a good step for personalized service. I can't imagine hiding anything that's in my MP account from the flight crew.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
On my last three domestic flights I was actively approached by the flight attendant thanking me for being a 1K member. In addition, on the one leg where I was not upgraded, I was actively approached and asked what I would like for my free meal.I am sure the personalized info on the FA's phone/ipad helped a lot.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I think this is a great feature, and think it will help the good FAs. It would be nice if they noted I like the gel pillow and slippers and had them at my seat ready. :-)

I personally would like to able to see where the pet(s) is(are) seated so I am no where near it/them. Had some close calls recently and had to move seats. I am uncertain why they cannot note animal allergies for passengers when they can note all other kinds of things, including seats with pets. Transparency is always a good thing.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Noticed on my MUC-SFO flight last week the FA was taking the meal orders on her phone in the app described here, and saw later a display in the galley of those orders. "C" was chicken, "F" was fish, etc, applied to each seat. This was in J, obviously.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Sounds like a great idea and I'm impressed they bothered to take the time to integrate all this. It seems like someone actually put some thought into it. Unlike the website.

If they are really concerned about public perception of FA's knowing passenger info, they could give passengers an Opt-in/out option on their app or website to choose what they would like to allow FA's to beyond the required stuff.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think this is a great feature, and think it will help the good FAs. It would be nice if they noted I like the gel pillow and slippers and had them at my seat ready. :-)

I personally would like to able to see where the pet(s) is(are) seated so I am no where near it/them. Had some close calls recently and had to move seats. I am uncertain why they cannot note animal allergies for passengers when they can note all other kinds of things, including seats with pets. Transparency is always a good thing.
It would be nice if you could "order" your hidden amenities or even your meal from the app prior to the flight.

I too would like to know if a pet is near be, though the one time I got stuck next to one was when the FA asked for volunteers in the bulkhead row to swap and the middle person next to me agreed.

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Noticed on my MUC-SFO flight last week the FA was taking the meal orders on her phone in the app described here, and saw later a display in the galley of those orders. "C" was chicken, "F" was fish, etc, applied to each seat. This was in J, obviously.
​​​​​​​I wonder if the app auto prioritizes the orders by status
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I dunno. Beyond the credit card and passport/citizenship info already cited I could see that access to all information could lead to undesirable situations. E.g., (completely hypothetical)

"Oh, Mr. Notquiteaff, welcome aboard. I am sorry that your trip back from Hawaii last week was so much delayed; today we should be right on time".

(when sitting next to my wife, who thought my last trip was a business trip to Bismarck, ND when really I hung out in Waikiki with my "personal assistant").

I am reminded of the "Welcome Back, Mr. Notquiteaff" greeting at a resort hotel I had never actually stayed at when checking in with my wife next to me.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Sometimes I do miss sneaking a peek at the paper FC seating chart in the galley to see what level elites are on my flight.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
...I personally would like to able to see where the pet(s) is(are) seated so I am no where near it/them. Had some close calls recently and had to move seats. I am uncertain why they cannot note animal allergies for passengers when they can note all other kinds of things, including seats with pets. Transparency is always a good thing.
+1 for me with cats.
I know DL allows you to indicate a peanut allergy in your record.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by chipmaster
"Personal milestones like birthdays are left to the judgment of flight attendants. They can decide whether they think a customer would appreciate the recognition or recoil, he says."
Evidently I didn't recoil enough. Was flying EZE-EWR in J on my last birthday, and not only was wished a happy birthday when the FA first came by, but was asked what I would like for my "birthday dinner" and "birthday dessert" when he was taking my orders. Had I been 10, I might have appreciated it more, but at forty-some it seemed a bit over the top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.