Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What the Airline Knows About the Guy in Seat 14C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What the Airline Knows About the Guy in Seat 14C

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Obviously a level of this was already going on - the whole inconsistently applied food order process in first would go to 1K/GS first and then to others. I'd say this happened maybe 1/3 of the time. Not sure how consistently communicated that process was.

But more than a few times in the big planes I will get a nod and thanks for the GS thing during the purser rounds. After that there isn't much of any kind of additional call out.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Scott in LA
Evidently I didn't recoil enough. Was flying EZE-EWR in J on my last birthday, and not only was wished a happy birthday when the FA first came by, but was asked what I would like for my "birthday dinner" and "birthday dessert" when he was taking my orders. Had I been 10, I might have appreciated it more, but at forty-some it seemed a bit over the top.
Hmmm was flying from ORD-LHR as a GS in GF ON my 40th birthday and didn't even get so much as a "thank you for your loyalty." I did get the soup course though.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few months ago I was flying ORD-JAX in Y and asked for a snack box and was reading to show my BP with "1K" but the FA tapped on a mobile device and gave it to me without asking. I don't mind them knowing about my details.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by katan
Obviously a level of this was already going on - the whole inconsistently applied food order process in first would go to 1K/GS first and then to others.
FA's have always had access to some of this data via the flight manifest (printout). This would rarely be used in economy, but in First/Business it was frequently used for everything from addressing passengers by name, recognizing status, and in particular, prioritizing meals (at least internationally). Of course, exactly how much they used it for these things depended on the flight crew (as it still does).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Ok, that explains why FA greeted me and wish me Happy Birthday on flights taken during the week of my birthday.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Hmmm was flying from ORD-LHR as a GS in GF ON my 40th birthday and didn't even get so much as a "thank you for your loyalty." I did get the soup course though.
yeah the only times my bday or my mileage plus anniversary were acknowledged were always by LAX GS staff
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
FA's have always had access to some of this data via the flight manifest (printout). This would rarely be used in economy, but in First/Business it was frequently used for everything from addressing passengers by name, recognizing status, and in particular, prioritizing meals (at least internationally). Of course, exactly how much they used it for these things depended on the flight crew (as it still does).
I wish they would use it more in economy as I seem to always have to dig for my ticket to show them I am 1K when I order a drink or snack box. Oh, well first world problem I guess....
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home

or my mileage plus anniversary were acknowledged were always by LAX GS staff
I logged on to mystatus recently and got a popup congratulating me on my anniversary. Never seen that before.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by nomad420
I wish they would use it more in economy as I seem to always have to dig for my ticket to show them I am 1K when I order a drink or snack box. Oh, well first world problem I guess....
I haven't needed my b/p or credit card in over a year, if riding in the back, and not upgraded, as my 1K status pops up in their handheld thing-a-magig during processing of a drink, and/or food!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:08 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by TomMM
I logged on to mystatus recently and got a popup congratulating me on my anniversary. Never seen that before.
I received that also; and I also got a "thank you for being a loyal mileage plus member for 20 years" while boarding an IAH-NRT flight a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I do not want to be wished Happy Birthday. I wouldn't mind being wished Happy Anniversary of Mileage Plus membership.

I hope I don't get tagged as a Bag Bigger Than Sizer violator. Usually I do not but I have at least 2-3 times in my lifetime.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I had the SD thank me and my wife for our business on our last J cabin flight from GIG-IAH.

Never happened before.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Ok, that explains why FA greeted me and wish me Happy Birthday on flights taken during the week of my birthday.
Earlier this year I had a flight attendant discreetly wish me a happy birthday on flights the day before and day of. I asked one of them how she knew and she walked me through the various color-coded and asterisked entries on their app. It was interesting to see how UA is providing them more information about the pax.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:50 pm

This is great for those with status, but what about the poor passenger who may have paid full price for their business or first class seat and is not making a connection. These individuals can get relegated to nobody status. They become second class, a sub tier.

There is an assumption that if you don't have a connecting flight, you have no where to be by a certain time. Sorry, if you were stupid enough to book a tight, risky connection, why should others be held back to accomadate you?

Every status passenger started, at some point with zero. I don't think this will help them want to stay with the airline. AND some people will never fly enough for status, but when they do fly want service and are paying for it.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I dunno. Beyond the credit card and passport/citizenship info already cited I could see that access to all information could lead to undesirable situations. E.g., (completely hypothetical)

"Oh, Mr. Notquiteaff, welcome aboard. I am sorry that your trip back from Hawaii last week was so much delayed; today we should be right on time".

(when sitting next to my wife, who thought my last trip was a business trip to Bismarck, ND when really I hung out in Waikiki with my "personal assistant").

I am reminded of the "Welcome Back, Mr. Notquiteaff" greeting at a resort hotel I had never actually stayed at when checking in with my wife next to me.
My daughter worked in the high end hotel field for many years. The way it worked was that if the guest was accompanied by another guest, you NEVER talk about previous trips. However, if the guest was alone, it was fine to say "thanks so much for coming back" type of thing. Harder on a plane to determine if the person sitting next to you is actually with you. Got a flight next week where the wife is on a totally different ticket, award versus paid, so that's probably a harder thing to be sure about on a plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.