Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What the Airline Knows About the Guy in Seat 14C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What the Airline Knows About the Guy in Seat 14C

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I dunno. Beyond the credit card and passport/citizenship info already cited I could see that access to all information could lead to undesirable situations. E.g., (completely hypothetical)

"Oh, Mr. Notquiteaff, welcome aboard. I am sorry that your trip back from Hawaii last week was so much delayed; today we should be right on time".

(when sitting next to my wife, who thought my last trip was a business trip to Bismarck, ND when really I hung out in Waikiki with my "personal assistant").

I am reminded of the "Welcome Back, Mr. Notquiteaff" greeting at a resort hotel I had never actually stayed at when checking in with my wife next to me.
Sorry there are people with that kind of worry, personally think UA should help clean up those kind of folks, LOL.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Sorry there are people with that kind of worry, personally think UA should help clean up those kind of folks, LOL.
LOL, yeah, reminds me of when the Ashley Madison's customer data was stolen ... so many people freaking out about it and I was just laughing, saying there's nothing of MINE in their database but if you're THAT concerned about it ...
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Scott in LA
Evidently I didn't recoil enough. Was flying EZE-EWR in J on my last birthday, and not only was wished a happy birthday when the FA first came by, but was asked what I would like for my "birthday dinner" and "birthday dessert" when he was taking my orders. Had I been 10, I might have appreciated it more, but at forty-some it seemed a bit over the top.
bah humbug
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UASleeper
On my last three domestic flights I was actively approached by the flight attendant thanking me for being a 1K member. In addition, on the one leg where I was not upgraded, I was actively approached and asked what I would like for my free meal.I am sure the personalized info on the FA's phone/ipad helped a lot.
I was on an OS flight the other day, and the lead FA stopped by my seat (well in the back) before takeoff to welcome me aboard. On Austrian. Can't remember last time that happened on UA.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:57 am

This may be good in theory until one day someone creates the app on the Google Play Store for public download and use via the internal Wi-Fi system. One has to be careful about hacking the tablet apication. What if a person with bad intentions got ahold of this app and manipulated it? Its really not hard to do sort of like an Expert Flyer App with more details.

Unless rhe manifest download happens at the airport or is the tablet always connected to the in Flight WiFI? Can I opt out of my personal info being shared? Is this a discriminattlry way of treatimg very frequent fliers vs regular fliers in Y?

Sorry to be dissecting this app but I do see security breaches and also mistreatment of passengers who are not frequent fliers. Now for delays special meals etc that is fine but I wonder what can the Pursuer do if they see a passenger in 14C was a problem passenger 3 flights ago? Offer them a comped Bourbon? Not serve them their preffered .meal? Reseat them in a middle seat next to crimg inrants at the back?

Just my 2 cents
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by danielonn
This may be good in theory until one day someone creates the app on the Google Play Store for public download and use via the internal Wi-Fi system. One has to be careful about hacking the tablet apication. What if a person with bad intentions got ahold of this app and manipulated it? Its really not hard to do sort of like an Expert Flyer App with more details.

Unless rhe manifest download happens at the airport or is the tablet always connected to the in Flight WiFI? Can I opt out of my personal info being shared? Is this a discriminattlry way of treatimg very frequent fliers vs regular fliers in Y?

Sorry to be dissecting this app but I do see security breaches and also mistreatment of passengers who are not frequent fliers. Now for delays special meals etc that is fine but I wonder what can the Pursuer do if they see a passenger in 14C was a problem passenger 3 flights ago? Offer them a comped Bourbon? Not serve them their preffered .meal? Reseat them in a middle seat next to crimg inrants at the back?

Just my 2 cents
The app download happens at the airport and does not connect to the in flight wifi ever. I think this is an FAA requirement. One unfortunate result of this is that the app is sometimes out of date. Every time I fly standby and end up in an E- middle their app will show an empty seat or a different person and I’ll have to show my BP to get a free snack.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Scott in LA
Evidently I didn't recoil enough. Was flying EZE-EWR in J on my last birthday, and not only was wished a happy birthday when the FA first came by, but was asked what I would like for my "birthday dinner" and "birthday dessert" when he was taking my orders. Had I been 10, I might have appreciated it more, but at forty-some it seemed a bit over the top.
I am the same age bracket, and I'd be all over that! But then, my birthday is on a holiday, so I would feel sorry for the flight crew who must work instead of spending the time with family and friends. I'd probably give them something!
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I'm ok with the FAs knowing I fly less than 1000 miles a year on UA but somehow redeem well into six figures worth of MP miles for ward flight
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I was on an OS flight the other day, and the lead FA stopped by my seat (well in the back) before takeoff to welcome me aboard. On Austrian. Can't remember last time that happened on UA.
Same thing happened to on OS last week, as a matter of fact on both legs. Has never happened on UA to me either.

Also ordered a couple of alcoholic drinks on the not-upgraded UA flight and paid with drink coupons. After the FA
finished service, she came back to my seat and returned the coupons because "as a 1K you are entitled to one
free drink". Mrs. EX has same status as me due to MM status. I didn't tell her, so the manifest must have given her that info.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
..... Is this a discriminattlry way of treatimg very frequent fliers vs regular fliers in Y?.....
Very frequent fliers should be treated better, that’s the point.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Even the 1K line can't access your CC data, if you want to make a flight, you have to manually give them your CC info. This IMO is less secure than letting them see your list and last 4 or nicknames you assigned as then they could select and bill, which is inherently more secure than saying your CC number on a phone, especially if you are in a public place.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the access they appear to have. I have benefitted from them having this info several times.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I dunno. Beyond the credit card and passport/citizenship info already cited I could see that access to all information could lead to undesirable situations. E.g., (completely hypothetical)

"Oh, Mr. Notquiteaff, welcome aboard. I am sorry that your trip back from Hawaii last week was so much delayed; today we should be right on time".

(when sitting next to my wife, who thought my last trip was a business trip to Bismarck, ND when really I hung out in Waikiki with my "personal assistant").

I am reminded of the "Welcome Back, Mr. Notquiteaff" greeting at a resort hotel I had never actually stayed at when checking in with my wife next to me.

Just my 2 cents
I think their are bigger and more malicious things a good coder could think of, or maybe it would be a disgruntled UA flyer with some skills, but again I can think of a lot more havoc someone with skills would do.

Personally welcome accessibility to more information can make the whole flying experience better. The only thing that would be nice would be "disclosure" and possibly making it an "opt in" option, I really don't like the ability to not be able to choose.

Just my 2 cents
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Just to be clear, my example was a hypothetical one and not one I am personally concerned. However, I am generally concerned about data misuse and believe that control should be offered to the customer. I assume a company as large as United is considering various region specific regulations (EU seems to generally be a lot stricter).

Originally Posted by luke5111
My daughter worked in the high end hotel field for many years. The way it worked was that if the guest was accompanied by another guest, you NEVER talk about previous trips. However, if the guest was alone, it was fine to say "thanks so much for coming back" type of thing. Harder on a plane to determine if the person sitting next to you is actually with you. Got a flight next week where the wife is on a totally different ticket, award versus paid, so that's probably a harder thing to be sure about on a plane.
I have a hard time believing that United can train its flight attendants to handle customer data appropriately when they often have problems pouring wine correctly. The app is hopefully designed such that users have access to the appropriate level of information so that it's isn't actually a problem.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 22, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by halls120
Never happened to me on UA. On a LH flight from FRA to India the purser came to my coach seat somewhere in the middle section to welcome me as a UA1K/*G and apologized for the poor seating assignment. AS flight attendants have been using their devices for a while to identify MVPG/75K customers in order to offer them their inflight benefits in coach, and they regularly thank me for being a loyal customer.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:56 pm

Another thing for this Tablet being out of date because its not connected to WiFi is to sell unsold Economy Plus seats or offer upgrades to Premium Cabins whether for a cost or not. Also I guess the Credit Card machines do not update the charges until the plane arrives at the destination so someone could give a credit card without any money on it and get the drink and later on United finds out the account had no money.

Also paying for ancillary items using Mileage Plus miles would be nice like Drinks, Buy On Board etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.