Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrading BOS-CPH award ticket with money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

I waited too long and missed out on biz class BOS-CPH for 70k miles in business on SAS, which were available until a few days ago. There are still economy tickets available on this flight for some dates in August for 30k miles. My question is whether I could do the 30k economy ticket and pay to upgrade to biz, and if so how (and how I'd even find out whether that's possible on this flight)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dpakman91
I waited too long and missed out on biz class BOS-CPH for 70k miles in business on SAS, which were available until a few days ago. There are still economy tickets available on this flight for some dates in August for 30k miles. My question is whether I could do the 30k economy ticket and pay to upgrade to biz, and if so how (and how I'd even find out whether that's possible on this flight)
They may re-open business class awards, so you should keep an eye open. Whether or not you can upgrade an partner award ticket for an SAS flight with cash is a question for their forum. The answer here is "UA can't; maybe SAS can." (If they do re-open the awards, you can call UA and switch by paying the appropriate award change fee for your status level).
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
They may re-open business class awards, so you should keep an eye open. Whether or not you can upgrade an partner award ticket for an SAS flight with cash is a question for their forum. The answer here is "UA can't; maybe SAS can." (If they do re-open the awards, you can call UA and switch by paying the appropriate award change fee for your status level).
interesting, I will post over there. If in the meantime I book BOS-FRA-CPH in biz for 70k on Lufthansa metal, what options would I have to switch to BOS-CPH on SAS if that opened back up?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting, I will post over there. If in the meantime I book BOS-FRA-CPH in biz for 70k on Lufthansa metal, what options would I have to switch to BOS-CPH on SAS if that opened back up?
Same as if you booked the Y seat on SAS; if you see an open business class award seat, you can call to change to it.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If in the meantime I book BOS-FRA-CPH in biz for 70k on Lufthansa metal, what options would I have to switch to BOS-CPH on SAS if that opened back up?
Same as if you booked the Y seat on SAS; if you see an open business class award seat, you can call to change to it.
Subject to payment of the applicable award change fee.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Subject to payment of the applicable award change fee.
Correct. Sorry, I should have been more explicit about that. The change fee varies from $0 to $125 depending upon status, and it's the same fee whether you're cancelling, changing dates, changing cabins, or changing flights.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

I spoke to SAS and they told me a non-revenue ticket cannot be upgraded with cash, only points, be it originally booked with UA miles or SAS miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.