Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Suggestion from Boston - Changing Alliance to StarAlliance with United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion from Boston - Changing Alliance to StarAlliance with United?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Gold SPG, Gold HH, Silver Marriott
Question Suggestion from Boston - Changing Alliance to StarAlliance with United?

Hello, I am top elite on American Airlines (Executive Platinum) and I am thinking changing to United as American is constantly reducing its presence in Boston.
I only use miles to redeem travels transatlantic (to France or Portugal), I never redeem miles for US travels.

This is why the redemption cost (Miles and Award cost is any) and the choices of airlines are key. Fyy flying from Boston to Europe with Oneworld is almost always with BA and they charge $670 in airport fees alone (LHR..) then add all the miles...: ridiculous!

Does anyone have good experience redeeming miles to Europe on United or any partner (TAP for example) in high season (like Summer)? Feedback especially from Boston would be awesome!

Thank you for any feedback

Last edited by davidmiami; Jun 18, 2018 at 1:38 pm Reason: Put the wrong airline
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Btw, airport fees are the same for everyone, no matter which airline you fly!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2018 at 1:51 pm Reason: Cleanup after title correction
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I think OP is actually complaining about YQ charged by BA, not the Heathrow airport fees.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
I think OP is actually complaining about YQ charged by BA, not the Heathrow airport fees.
Correct, Although LHR airport fees are quite high (I think around $150-$200), BA actually overcharges by a lot.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
BOS does have a solid *A roster, including flights operated LH and LX, which are among the easier TATL business class redemptions.

That said, redemptions in "high season" will as a general proposition be challenging in any program.

Undoubtedly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2018 at 1:52 pm Reason: cleanup after title correction
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by davidmiami
Correct, Although LHR airport fees are quite high (I think around $150-$200), BA actually overcharges by a lot.
I think it's their fuel surcharge, which they charge on all reward travel as I understand it, not just LON.

And wise choice not to use your reward miles domestically ^
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

It seems that United Is not growing much out of Boston so I would rely pretty much exclusively on LH and Tap for transatlantic flights. As long as I can redeem in coach easily in high season without crazy fees, it is ok for me.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
BOS has some of the best TAP and LH award availability I've seen across north america, not sure why that is the case though.

One thing to keep in mind with Delta, depending on how you book your award trips, is that Europe-originating awards incur significant surcharges. So if you like to book your trips as two one-ways, this will be an issue.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
BOS has some of the best TAP and LH award availability I've seen across north america, not sure why that is the case though.

One thing to keep in mind with Delta, depending on how you book your award trips, is that Europe-originating awards incur significant surcharges. So if you like to book your trips as two one-ways, this will be an issue.
I would always book From Boston (roundtrip). What about United, is it any good TATL even maybe via EWR?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think that, on BA, passengers are better off redeeming for higher class awards (First Class or Business) even though the fees are higher since very often you can find paid Economy tickets that are about the price of the YQ charges when you redeem an Economy award. When we were living in the UK 3 years ago, my wife redeemed a First Class award LHR-PEK-LHR. Totally enjoyed being in the front of the 747 (She had travelled many times in the upper floor so that was a different experience).
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can pretty easily do a few searches for some of your sample itineraries on ua's website, if you want to get an idea for availability and fees with your preferred *A carriers.

I have been pretty satisfied with my award redemptions, but none of them have been TP or LH. I like OS.

edit add:

I would always book From Boston (roundtrip). What about United, is it any good TATL even maybe via EWR?
What counts as good for you? Service, seat, schedule? UA has quite a bit of capacity from EWR, so if you are OK with a domestic connection that could be a reasonable option.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
BOS does have a solid *A roster, including flights operated LH and LX, which are among the easier TATL business class redemptions.

That said, redemptions in "high season" will as a general proposition be challenging in any program.
I agree. BOS is a non-*A hub with decent *A flights overwater, and as such features excellent availability in my experience.
davidmiami likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
You can pretty easily do a few searches for some of your sample itineraries on ua's website, if you want to get an idea for availability and fees with your preferred *A carriers.

I have been pretty satisfied with my award redemptions, but none of them have been TP or LH. I like OS.

edit add:

What counts as good for you? Service, seat, schedule? UA has quite a bit of capacity from EWR, so if you are OK with a domestic connection that could be a reasonable option.
As I travel often to 2 countries in 2 different airports (France with Skyteam and Portugal with Star), direct flights from Boston only work with one of those. So with Star, i can only fly direct to Portugal with Tap, otherwise it would be pretty much United or Lufthansa anywhere else in Europe. Connecting in the EU or US does not matter, whatever is the quickest and cheapest!
So my understanding is that with Star LH is great fo coach redemption, then I add the possibilities of United through EWR. However for the US United might not be that great out of Boston.

DL seems to be another fit out of Boston but for TATL i only have 2 choices (DL or AF - which might often be the same operating the flights) but I can also connect via JFK and coach seems also quite available.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
UA is just as good as any other US domestic airline for TATL.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As I travel often to 2 countries in 2 different airports
UA's program would be good for that because you would get a free one-way within Europe (the "Excursionist Perk") with a round-trip award. So if you booked BOS-LIS // LIS-FRA // FRA-BOS the LIS-FRA segment would be no extra charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.