Gutted over loss of GFL

Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:43 pm

If those on FT are to be believed, it seems like the GfL were basically just a more exclusive UC! If that's the case, then I'll gladly take an NH *Gold lounge over the exclusivity of the GfL any day! Certainly the introduction of the Polaris lounge at IAH will make it a huge improvement over the current situation and IAD. Also, I suspect the LH and TK lounges at IAD were significantly better than the GfL at IAD (albeit with less exclusivity).

-James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by j2simpso
If those on FT are to be believed, it seems like the GfL were basically just a more exclusive UC! If that's the case, then I'll gladly take an NH *Gold lounge over the exclusivity of the GfL any day! Certainly the introduction of the Polaris lounge at IAH will make it a huge improvement over the current situation and IAD. Also, I suspect the LH and TK lounges at IAD were significantly better than the GfL at IAD (albeit with less exclusivity).

-James
I strongly disagree with this, the FIL/GFL were real havens that were also for the most part lovely spaces. The TK lounge at IAD is a ratty dump, filled to the brim with people picking over a buffet table, gross.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Im not sure I follow? Yes, the good old days of proper separate First lounges and three class service, a bygone era.
It was 2-class: F & Y. No "lie flat", no IFE and only 1-2 services a day over the North Atlantic from a very few "gateways".
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
It was 2-class: F & Y. No "lie flat", no IFE and only 1-2 services a day over the North Atlantic from a very few "gateways".
That is not the late 1990s United Airlines that I am referring
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Could hardly call it a Continental operation
tuolumne and BOStonTravels like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:48 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by EWR764
I would wager those lamenting the loss of the GFL hasn't yet had the opportunity to try the PL. Comparing apples-to-apples, the PL is in another world... though it might have a hard time competing with romantic, nostalgic recollections of bygone eras.
Well said.

I've been to the GFLs at IAD, ORD, SFO, LAX and get how people zero in on the exclusive angle. Likewise, I can attest to the higher quality of fare and spirits offered therein compared to the RCCs / UCs, or at least from circa 2006 onwards. So yes, I get how the IFLs were a material cut above the "standard" lounge offering both in tangible and intangible terms.

But - inevitably but - for those lamenting the loss of the GFLs my question to you is this: are you lamenting the actual loss/replacement of the IFLs with PLs >>> or <<< are you melancholy to see the loss of the idea, the dream, the "prestige", or whatever other descriptor you wish to apply to an emotional attachment?

If the former, then my question would be how does the successors of the GFLs, the Polaris Lounges, fall short, if not exceed, the IFLs they replaced? True LAX (and IAD? and whatever other international ones are due) PLs are still in the pipeline, but assuming they were online, can a reasonable argument be made that the offering of UA's new cabin-based lounge falls short of what the IFLs offered regarding amenities?

If the latter and it's just an emotional attachment to Belle Reve of yesteryear, then I'm not quite sure what to suggest. Maybe snuggle up with a tube of cookie dough and take a trip down memory lane?

Code:
https://youtu.be/jJKUMlYzrt0?t=37s
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Now having experienced all four of the Polaris lounges in service, as far as I'm concerned, you can keep the "proper" GFLs! More "exclusive" isn't better; better is better. The food and drinks are of higher-quality (though one can make a reasonable argument in favor of self-pour booze), the service more attentive and amenities exceed any GFL from any time period that I've ever experienced. I've haven't seen a PL approach even 80% of capacity, either, and the serene, quiet atmosphere is pretty consistent across the system.

In fact, the personal assistance I very recently received from an agent at the IAH PL during an IRROPS situation was impeccable. I can't imagine anyone doing much better than she did.

The PL is the most significant product improvement United has ever made, in my view.

I would wager those lamenting the loss of the GFL haven't yet had the opportunity to try the PL. Comparing apples-to-apples, the PL is in another world... though it might have a hard time competing with romantic, nostalgic recollections of bygone eras.
j

Ill have to take your word, and I can imagine PLs are nicer than the GFLs Ive visited at IAD and SFO. I find it hard to believe a PL surpasses the LHR GFL, with made-to order and off-menu items prepared by the chef, and the four other people competing for service. I look foward to seeing. PL topping that!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 747FC
I’ll have to take your word, and I can imagine PLs are nicer than the GFLs I’ve visited at IAD and SFO. I find it hard to believe a PL surpasses the LHR GFL, with made-to order and off-menu items prepared by the chef, and the four other people competing for service. I look foward to seeing. PL topping that!

It's pretty close. I've had the sit-down dining at each of the locations you mention (LHR and all of the PL) and the PL menus are somewhat smaller than the GFL selection, but I've generally found the presentation to be a bit more refined. It's still institutional, but the PL menus also seem more imaginative than LHR GFL. Service at IAH, EWR and ORD has been very good. SFO was a little spotty. But totally comparable in all respects, IMO, to the LHR GFL. I've never been in a PL during peak-of-peak rushes, so I am not a good judge of crowding, but I've always been able to get tables in the dining room and choose any type of seating I like in the PLs.

Overall, I am really pleased with the product, and look forward to LAX and IAD.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You get to dictate my emotions? I passed by the door to the GFL the other day at IAD. I thought about the many years of memories, it still made me sad. Such a haven and reminder of a different era in travel.
Fair point. But "fond memories" at a hangout are quite different than missing a product that is now being replaced by a better one. The Polaris Lounge (PL) and GFL don't even belong in the same sentence (mea culpa) as the PL is superior in every respect, except for exclusivity.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J.Edward
But - inevitably but - for those lamenting the loss of the GFLs my question to you is this: are you lamenting the actual loss/replacement of the IFLs with PLs >>> or <<< are you melancholy to see the loss of the idea, the dream, the "prestige", or whatever other descriptor you wish to apply to an emotional attachment?

If the latter and it's just an emotional attachment to Belle Reve of yesteryear, then I'm not quite sure what to suggest. Maybe snuggle up with a tube of cookie dough and take a trip down memory lane?
Yes, beautiful. My attachment was in large part emotional to yesteryear... C'est la vie.

The PL are ok, seem a little like a Sheraton lobby or something. I dont think they can compare to the LHR GFL and certainly not the exclusivity or service I used to get in the late 90's at the IFL's around the globe.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
At IAD, the one thing better at the GFL lounge compared to the LH Senator was the champagne. Ill miss that. But nothing in the UA system compared to the LHR GFL, except maybe the regular club next door.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:32 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Artpen100
But nothing in the UA system compared to the LHR GFL, except maybe the regular club next door.
(Bolding mine)

You are kidding, of course. The private dining room where you can order off a menu and where there is less of a crowd?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Artpen100
At IAD, the one thing better at the GFL lounge compared to the LH Senator was the champagne. Ill miss that. But nothing in the UA system compared to the LHR GFL, except maybe the regular club next door.
Anyone remember the butler in the original IFL at LHR?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Service at IAH, EWR and ORD has been very good. SFO was a little spotty. But totally comparable in all respects, IMO, to the LHR GFL...
Ive been in LHR GFL lounge 4 times. The level of service was consistently top-notch - prompt, friendly, and knowledgeable. Several times I noticed a supervisor was constantly, well, supervising. Only been to EWR PL so far, but service was slow, confused, and I certainly didnt notice anyone equivalent to who Ive seen at LHR constantly checking things out and coaching personnel. I think the lack of good service management at EWR (and from reports at SFO) will keep the PLs one level below whats experienced at the LHR GFL.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Yes, beautiful. My attachment was in large part emotional to yesteryear... C'est la vie.

The PL are ok, seem a little like a Sheraton lobby or something. I dont think they can compare to the LHR GFL and certainly not the exclusivity or service I used to get in the late 90's at the IFL's around the globe.

I can completely relate to nostalgia. But I think the disconnect for me is I was in high school the last time anyone experienced it. The United we inherited looked nothing like this and hadnt in years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.