Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM PL /AA/DL PL/LY GL

Friends,

My wife is traveling TLV-VIE-JFK next week on a UA mileage ticket. She has no premier status.

I looked at the booking today on Austrian.com and got the impression that she has a ZERO baggage allowance on this flight. Is that really true? Does she not get even one bag for this long haul? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TLVflyer
Friends,

My wife is traveling TLV-VIE-JFK next week on a UA mileage ticket. She has no premier status.

I looked at the booking today on Austrian.com and got the impression that she has a ZERO baggage allowance on this flight. Is that really true? Does she not get even one bag for this long haul? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
whatever is printed on the UA ticket should apply, what does it show? Unless there is something strange w/ TLV it should be 1 bag in coach and 2 bags in business on Austrian (their rules apply). Mileage ticket do not book into 'light' fares so for TATL flights you should expect your usual allowance. What is displayed is frequently wrong, don't worry ... it is pretty much inconsequential.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
whatever is printed on the UA ticket should apply, what does it show? Unless there is something strange w/ TLV it should be 1 bag in coach and 2 bags in business on Austrian (their rules apply). Mileage ticket do not book into 'light' fares so for TATL flights you should expect your usual allowance. What is displayed is frequently wrong, don't worry ... it is pretty much inconsequential.
Thank you. The UA ticket does say that first back is 0.00 USD and second is 100.00 USD. But, it is so irritating that the Austrian website shows it as hand baggage only. I hope it is as simple as you say. (The same thing happens when I fly on partner airlines to UA and it shows that I only get one back despite having my 1K in the profile.)

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
It's common for award tickets not to show the correct baggage allowance. At least, I have an Austrian flight booked for this December in business; the Austrian website also shows zero bags allowed. As it's in business, I'm allowed two bags.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thank you. The UA ticket does say that first back is 0.00 USD and second is 100.00 USD. But, it is so irritating that the Austrian website shows it as hand baggage only.
By U.S. regulation the ticket receipt must show the baggage allowance.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
1 bag up to 23kg for free 100%
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
By U.S. regulation the ticket receipt must show the baggage allowance.
Ignore the OS website. OS does not set the baggage allowance for your wife's ticket.

Her baggage allowance for all segments is the allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment. That is UA. So long as her e-ticket receipt (not PNR) shows the 1st bag at $0, that is what the check-in agent will see and will be used to check her bag at TLV to JFK.

As is always the case, she should have a paper print out of her e-ticket with her in any event.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For some reason, the baggage allowance shows completely wrong on the website and the ticket receipt when you have a UA issued ticket on an LH Group carrier.

Business class passengers are entitled to two bags at 32 kg per bag. Austrian Baggage Allowances

This shows wrong for me even on paid business class tickets as a *G.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Ignore the OS website. OS does not set the baggage allowance for your wife's ticket.

Her baggage allowance for all segments is the allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment. That is UA. So long as her e-ticket receipt (not PNR) shows the 1st bag at $0, that is what the check-in agent will see and will be used to check her bag at TLV to JFK.

As is always the case, she should have a paper print out of her e-ticket with her in any event.
You might be confused. Since this is a UA award ticket with flights operated by Austrian, it cannot be UA-marketed. UA does not sell awards with UA marketed codeshares.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Ignore this post
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. The UA ticket does say that first back is 0.00 USD and second is 100.00 USD. But, it is so irritating that the Austrian website shows it as hand baggage only. I hope it is as simple as you say. (The same thing happens when I fly on partner airlines to UA and it shows that I only get one back despite having my 1K in the profile.)

Thank you so much!
So, you haven't actually provided enough information to answer your question.

If this is a one-way flight or the outbound of a round trip, her luggage allowance is determined by OS, and their forum is the best place to ask about it. As others have said, though, mileage tickets don't (currently*) book into the Light fares, so I'd expect a minimum allowance of a single bag at 23kg.

If not -- i.e., if this is a return flight -- the luggage allowance depends upon the first airline on the itinerary.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
So, you haven't actually provided enough information to answer your question.

If this is a one-way flight or the outbound of a round trip, her luggage allowance is determined by OS, and their forum is the best place to ask about it. As others have said, though, mileage tickets don't (currently*) book into the Light fares, so I'd expect a minimum allowance of a single bag at 23kg.

If not -- i.e., if this is a return flight -- the luggage allowance depends upon the first airline on the itinerary.
This is indeed a one-way. If they don't book into light fares, then way, pray tell, does the OS website say that she's not entitled to a bag? Who knows?

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
Had the same situation with a Brussels Airlines flight from LIS-BRU booked with UA miles (it was in business). UA confirmation said 2 free bags
and the Brussels Airlines reservation said Business Class and no free bags (a most illogical combination). At the end of the day, no issues when
checking in. I chalk it up to IT handshake issues in how the reservation gets shared between the partner airlines.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is indeed a one-way. If they don't book into light fares, then way, pray tell, does the OS website say that she's not entitled to a bag? Who knows?

Thanks!
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with "IT glitch." I'd have her bring a copy of the UA receipt, just in case, but I doubt there will be any issues.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Baggage allowance on OS business award tickets

Just spent 70,000 miles on a business class award from New York to Croatia. Flying business from EWR to VIE on OS, then connecting to SPU in coach. I pulled my reservation on Austrian's website to double check details. I noticed that in the baggage section, it showed that I am only entitled to 1 8 kg hand bag and no checked bag. Is this a new policy or is this an error? As a Star Gold flying in long haul business, with a short haul connecting flight in coach its very odd to me to see that I get 0 checked baggage allotment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.