Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This is completely false on its own. *G baggage allowance is absolutely honored on all *A flights, including intra-Europe. But we don't have enough info to help explain why you were possibly charged. Were you on a paid "light" fare intra-Europe? If so, no baggage.

-RM
*G baggage allowance is not honored on most zero-baggage fares, both within and outside of Europe (you may have been saying this, but I think it's worth saying explicitly since it's IMO outrageous).
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by findark
*G baggage allowance is not honored on most zero-baggage fares, both within and outside of Europe (you may have been saying this, but I think it's worth saying explicitly since it's IMO outrageous).
Depends on the airline. LH is allowing one free bag for the time being but that will likely change. Other airlines like AC and EW the answer seems a clear no. Meanwhile UA will happily let me check in 3 bags in Economy Basic TATL as Premier Gold

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Meanwhile UA will happily let me check in 3 bags in Economy Basic TATL as Premier Gold
False equivalence; that's because you're UA Gold. If you were *G, you would get one bag.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I had UA award on Brussels air lines “BRU-VIE” and two separate OS awards “VIE-SZG and “SZG-FRA” last week - all three reservations said that they did not include bags - the OS ones even said so on the boarding pass - I doubt they would have accepted a bag. Oddly enough the Brussels Airlines flight which also claimed that it didn’t include a bag (but didn’t say so on boarding pass) came with priority security and priority boarding. I also got a sandwich that people a few rows back did not get....
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by findark
I know that. And you even quoted my post about there being zero baggage on "light" fares. I suppose I should have said "*G baggage is absolutely honored on all *A flights where baggage is included in the first place". But I guess it's a given *G benefits for baggage as a whole require you to have included baggage in the first place. Guess the implications of such knowledge are not wide spread sometimes. But, as someone above pointed out, some *A carriers have exceptions while others do not.

-RM
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I guess it's a given *G benefits for baggage as a whole require you to have included baggage in the first place.
It's not a given, nor should it be. UA domestic fares don't include luggage, but *G still gets one piece, as they should.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
But I guess it's a given *G benefits for baggage as a whole require you to have included baggage in the first place. Guess the implications of such knowledge are not wide spread sometimes. But, as someone above pointed out, some *A carriers have exceptions while others do not.
AFAIK this wording was only added to the *A baggage benefit terms after *G complained about carriers denying them a free bag on zero-bag fares (forget who was the first although NZ Seat to Suit has been around for quite a while). I replied because it seemed clear to me OP had been burned by being charged for a first checked bag on a Light fare within Europe, which is of course a hole in the alliance benefit.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.