Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First two legs keep falling off Mileageplus ticket .. 2nd time

Old Jun 16, 18, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

The first two legs of my UA award ticket are
(Sept 5)
SYD BKK Thai F
BKK HKG Thai J

in March these two legs fell off the itinerary, had to call, somebody I guess added them back (no alert from UA, no schedule change, just for some reason disappeared). F space still open so easy fix. I check again today, and SYD BKK HKG on Thai are no longer on my mileageplus ticket anymore.

Called and a supervisor reinstated my TG legs. But ! There is no longer F award space, and the first leg says ďsegment cannot be confirmed, contact UAĒ and doesnít come up on Thai airways site, only BKK HKG.

A friend of mine has the SAME exact mileageplus award ticket and has had no problems with his ticket changing. But for me, this has happened two times since March. I cannot just show up in Australia and wonder if I have a flight to BKK.

UA says there is no longer F space available and only J. What can I do? This is ridiculous!!! I booked into F, the flight is still flying, Iíve been kicked out of F twice now. Iím so confused. I booked this ticket in October pre deval rates for first class, now they want to put me entirely into J. I donít want an adjustment for J award travel I want what I have booked. Iím on hold for a supervisor ! Argh !!

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Jun 16, 18 at 10:44 am
Old Jun 16, 18, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Ask UA to buy you a ticket as they already previously ticketed (assuming they did so).
Old Jun 16, 18, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Ask UA to buy you a ticket as they already previously ticketed (assuming they did so).
Yes my flights ticketed in October. Iím really not sure what is happening, but I am under the assumption that they have some obligation to fly me in the cabin booked. The BKK HKG was downgraded from F to J because Thai no longer operates F on that route, but this SYD BKK 747 still has F so thereís no reason for these shenanigans. Iím on hold with a supervisor, who is coordinating with the supervisor who just ďreinstatedĒ my ticket 30 minutes ago.
Old Jun 16, 18, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 View Post
there’s no reason for these shenanigans.
I've seen rumors that TG will kick passengers out of F to make room for VIPs (e.g., the royal family).

Is the flight still available for purchase in F on that date?

PS: Neither UA nor TG have an obligation to transport you in the class of service you booked, but merely to transport you and refund any fare difference or offer you a full refund.
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I've seen rumors that TG will kick passengers out of F to make room for VIPs (e.g., the royal family).

Is the flight still available for purchase in F on that date?

PS: Neither UA nor TG have an obligation to transport you in the class of service you booked, but merely to transport you and refund any fare difference or offer you a full refund.
still available for $2,482 one way SYD BKK both 10am and 4pm departure. Ok and fair enough about transporting or refunding however, I expect an accurate reason for this to be happening (just checked my friends itinerary, fully intact ). It is part of a much bigger itinerary and I cannot (or should not) have to worry about my flights simply not existing once I arrive in SYD ..

supervisor has me on hold while she is calling Thai Airways to figure out what is going on.

Supervisor got Thai to open the F seat. She says the error was, one of the previous agents re instated the ticket, but never re - issued the ticket which caused these legs to keep falling off.

hopefully that works... sorry I like to update FT live with my issues 😂
jsloan and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 16, 18 at 11:56 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
And there's no guarantee this won't happen again. Partner awards are notorious for this, especially TG.

My advice..check your reservation like a hawk daily or at least weekly. And make sure you save the email ticket receipt which shows a valid ticket number and flights with cabin classes that you're booked into. As someone else pointed out, TG/UA only have to get you to your destination but are not required to do so in the cabin you booked without refunding you the difference.

Glad to hear TG opened the space for you. Closer to flight time this is highly unlikely to happen. I hope the flights don't fall off your record again.

-RM
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
And there's no guarantee this won't happen again. Partner awards are notorious for this, especially TG.

My advice..check your reservation like a hawk daily or at least weekly. And make sure you save the email ticket receipt which shows a valid ticket number and flights with cabin classes that you're booked into. As someone else pointed out, TG/UA only have to get you to your destination but are not required to do so in the cabin you booked without refunding you the difference.

Glad to hear TG opened the space for you. Closer to flight time this is highly unlikely to happen. I hope the flights don't fall off your record again.

-RM
correction, Thai did not open a seat. There is nothing they will do, except downgrade me to business or change my dates (but no two seats available for my companion and I ). She says to submit a compensation request on United.com

so, a reservation agent did not properly change my ticket, F is no longer available, so due to their incompetence I have to accept a downgrade or cancel my ticket. I have a different carrier flying to Sydney, and a different carrier flying me from HKG to JNB. So canceling is not part of the equation. Iím on hold for a ďmanagerĒ I guess who is above supervisor, Iím not going to just submit a refund or compensation request on some online form I want an answer now. Flying Thai F was one of the entire reasons for this trip. I cannot believe this.. I thought my biggest concern was Thai switching from the 747 to the A350 and losing F class entirely, not some agent not doing his job properly.

This is great. Good going United !

She found two F seats , Sept 1 vs Sept 5. I went ahead and had her change our tickets to that instead, but instead of a brief overnight in BKK we will have 5 nights there. Thatís ok for now. Still on hold, just hit the two hour mark!

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Jun 16, 18 at 12:16 pm
Old Jun 16, 18, 12:16 pm

Thai F in 747 is highly overrated Feels more like a bunk bed in an open dormitory, no privacy whatsoever. It's fun to do once, but I would not fight for it. On the other hand - I would fight for a proper refund and compensation for the trouble, don't let UA get away with it.
Old Jun 16, 18, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by br2k View Post
Thai F in 747 is highly overrated Feels more like a bunk bed in an open dormitory, no privacy whatsoever. It's fun to do once, but I would not fight for it. On the other hand - I would fight for a proper refund and compensation for the trouble, don't let UA get away with it.
Over rated or not, Iíve been used my last light blue rimowa kit for quite some time. I want a different one 😂😂

I wouldnít mind going the compensation route, but in the back of my mind I was expecting that to be some pro rated amount of miles from the F to J downgrade and rather have come up with some resolution now vs later. I will still send in a complaint however but not really expecting anything.
Old Jun 16, 18, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, Marriott Bonvoy
5 nights in BKK...catch a flight to Phuket, Krabi or Chaing Mai. Gets some cheap delicious food, spectacular beaches or historical Thailand...Sounds to me this little snafu is a win win!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: