Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

11 hrs in an E+ 763 new seat.......NEVER AGAIN !!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lost it all and don't care

Flew to GIG again 2 weeks ago in J like we've always been doing for 4 years straight. Unfortunately got E+ coming back......why is irrelevant.

The 767 had the new Polaris cabin which DID NOT look impressive......it was like a boiler room cube farm, and steerage had these new thin back seats which I'd never seen before. I am familiar with the ones in the A319/737 where I am typing this post from right now, as they look similar, but have reclining headrests.

I am 6' 1" and 185 pounds in excellent shape and I felt like an 80 year old with osteoarthritis and scoliosis due to having sat in this seat. I am only 58.

Both my wife and I are crippled right now and blame it directly on these "new to us" seats. Their limited recline was assinine and the cushion length ridiculious. How you can ask any paying customer to suffer thru this torture is beyond me Oscar or Kirby. There were lots of Brasilians on board and I could over hear many complaining to their seatmates.

Anyone else have the same issue long haul ?
rufflesinc and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by KDS777; Jun 15, 2018 at 8:27 pm
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by KDS777
I am 6' 1" and 185 pounds in excellent shape and I feel like an 80 year old with osteoarthritis and scoliosis.
I've flown them and thought they were just another seat. If they truly make you feel that way, I don't think you're in as excellent shape as you say...
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Flew to GIG again 2 weeks ago in J like we've always been doing for 4 years straight. Unfortunately got E+ coming back......why is irrelevant.

The 767 had the new Polaris cabin which DID NOT look impressive......it was like a boiler room cube farm, and steerage had these new thin back seats which I'd never seen before. I am familiar with the ones in the A319/737 where I am typing this post from right now, as they look similar, but have reclining headrests.

I am 6' 1" and 185 pounds in excellent shape and I feel like an 80 year old with osteoarthritis and scoliosis.

Both my wife and I are crippled right now and blame it directly on these "new to us" seats. Their limited recline was assinine and the cushion length ridiculious. How you can ask any paying customer to suffer thru this torture is beyond me Oscar or Kirby. There were lots of Brasilians on board and I could over hear many complaining to their seatmates.

I fly E+ on 15 hr+ flight all the time, sometimes with a kiddo next to me. no issues whatsoever. maybe you should take a boat?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Just to clarify.........I've got lots of seat time in E+ over 10 hours without issue.......as well as 4-5 at a time.

Did the Polaris 767 get new seats in the back as well as the front is the question I think.

Anything else is speculative, as there were some other pax with said issue voicing it publicly during deplaning in IAH.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I've flown them and thought they were just another seat. If they truly make you feel that way, I don't think you're in as excellent shape as you say...
No kidding!

But to be fair to the OP, the thinbacks are uncomfortable, especially to be in for a long time. I always bring my own pillow for my head, and use the UA crap to line my butt/back.

Imagine the folks in E-
BearX220 and FlyingNone like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I also regularly fly ex-SFO to Europe, Asia, and Australia in E+. While I don't love it, its better than E- on any other airline. I'm 50+, 5'10, 180lb. Seems fine to me and no health problems like you describe! And I have no idea what planes I am in - it's a tube with seats and some are more comfortable than others, that's all I care to know. Seems to work out fine for me.
IDM79 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The Polaris 767s got the same seats in Y as the 764 and retrofit 763 (B/E Pinnacle), with the new brand-standard "leather" seat covers. IMO it's a good Y seat, but new seats are always pretty firm. It sounds like nonsense, but it really is true, the cushions need a few hundred rear ends in them for extended periods of time before they break in.

Just to clear up confusion, it is NOT the same model as on the 737 fleet. In other words, not a true slimline.

The 767 Polaris cabin might not "look" impressive, but after flying in it, I am convinced it is the best 767 business class hard product, bar none. I've flown a lot of them and I cannot think of one I prefer to it.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
LAX to SIN in E+ (15h) and no problems here.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
To me, 11 hours in any coach seat, on any airline, doesn't seem like the healthiest way to travel. Several years ago, I refused to ever do it again. Business or Premium Economy for that amount of time.
trooper and Artpen100 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I can feel your pain. I have done 14 and 16 hours flights in Economy + but it was on the 3-class 772 and I was in the bulkhead. Now, when they reconfigure the 3-class 772 and put different seats with a 3-4-3 configuration in Economy, I will have the same experience you have. And I'm not looking to that.

There was a little while ago a question of what auction UA should put with the miles (for people who have loads of them). All the suggestions were nice so I decided not to add my suggestion: to take Oscar or/and Kirby as my guest(s) in a middle seat on a 14 hours flight. But I would be nice, they would be my guests in Economy +, not Economy.
Lori_Q likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
When United started switching from 9-abreast to 10-abreast on 777, I finally told my employer no more trips to Asia in E, plus or not. Please.

9-abreast was already not comfortable at all. 10? No way. I am done. It is just not healthy. Not > 10 times a year at least.

Got business class instead. Fortunately.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I've flown E+ to Asia/Australia several times, and in my opinion its not so much the seats in E+ as it is the passengers around you. Having an open seat (or whole row!) makes it great. But if you've got noisy or restless people around you, someone behind you kicking your seat, or the two fellows behind me that talked loudly for literally that entire SFO-ICN flight it can be utterly miserable.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:53 am

Lots of folks fly on even longer flights in E+ and emerge perfectly fine, without "feeling like an 80 year old"
Xyzzy and MazdaMP like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 15, 2018 at 12:16 pm Reason: inappropriate comment deleted
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
The Polaris 767s got the same seats in Y as the 764 and retrofit 763 (B/E Pinnacle), with the new brand-standard "leather" seat covers. IMO it's a good Y seat, but new seats are always pretty firm. It sounds like nonsense, but it really is true, the cushions need a few hundred rear ends in them for extended periods of time before they break in.
I am going to go with EWR here. The B/E Pinnacle are not bad seats, but yes, hard at first. These seats ought to be relatively wide (approx 18.5" in the seat pan and 21.3" of total width/seat) and will soon be the only decent coach ride on UA. Compaired to everything else United is doing, this is a ^

Originally Posted by skidooman
When United started switching from 9-abreast to 10-abreast on 777, I finally told my employer no more trips to Asia in E, plus or not. Please.

9-abreast was already not comfortable at all. 10? No way. I am done. It is just not healthy. Not > 10 times a year at least.
The seats on the x10 777 are horrible. They only give 19.4"/seat in width, and are .6" less wide than the seats on a 737. But this is NOT the A/C that OP was on. Unless he reported it wrong, he was on a 763, where the seats are nearly two inches wider.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Just to clarify.........I've got lots of seat time in E+ over 10 hours without issue.......as well as 4-5 at a time.

Did the Polaris 767 get new seats in the back as well as the front is the question I think.

Anything else is speculative, as there were some other pax with said issue voicing it publicly during deplaning in IAH.
Wow, I feel like I should start complaining about my E+ time on EWR-HKG/PVG/PEK runs. I even sat at the gate in EWR an extra 90 minutes waiting for a crew heading to PVG. Still mid-40's, out of shape. Not even close to 80. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.