Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

11 hrs in an E+ 763 new seat.......NEVER AGAIN !!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11 hrs in an E+ 763 new seat.......NEVER AGAIN !!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:29 am

I flew the EWR -HNL round trip in regular E a few years back. No issues at all. 764 but still.

Will be taking the same flights again this fall.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by gcashin
I find the new slimline seats incredibly uncomfortable as well. I have long legs, and I find the seat pan far too short, it feels like the seats are lower to the ground, and seem to slope downwards.

I've done plenty of long haul flights in Y - have done GIG, SYD, and HND in the past few years in E+, and while it's not exactly comfortable, I didn't find the seats to pose an issue on the previous generation of seats. With the new slimline seats, I even find myself getting uncomfortable in E+ on 4 hour flights. I could tolerate a 10+ hour flight in the previous Y seats; given my discomfort on shorter flights, I wouldn't want to deal with a 10+ hour flight in the slimlines.
This is exactly my experience as well. The short seat pan is how they deliver the illusion of legroom. I do my best to avoid long hauls in the newer seats, but even a transcon is incredibly uncomfortable. Given that in future the entire fleet will have these seats, it will perhaps require flying non UA metal on long hauls (especially if it appears that the UG will not clear).
gcashin likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
I agree.

The 767 has become the best aircraft in E+ and even standard Y across UA's fleet. The new seats are awesome! I have had no issues either.
The new 767 Polaris seats are impressive because it's direct aisle access and there are 30 of them!

UA newly retrofitted 767 is the best 767 to fly in the sky right now. However, this is the first time i have seen people complaining about the E+ seats on these birds. Have not sat in it, so i will be looking at it next time to see if it is really true there is a problem. i have sat in regular Y in refurbished 767 from last round (co bird) and felt just fine. it is a brand new seat, is it possible the seat will age a bit and you will feel better like how it works with a mattress?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I guess if this info had been in original post, OP wouldn't have gotten the negative feed back posts. This is enough for me to seriously consider which plane/configuration I am flying...

Originally Posted by KDS777
I was on a Polaris 767-300....UAL 128 last night......GIG-IAH. I am only 58 and in the best shape of my life. No seat kickers or noisy pax anywhere either. Typical UAL 128/129 flight......I've done over 50 of them.

I am a pretty tolerant hardass capable of sitting in most anything for an extended period of time. I know to get up and flex the body. I drove Leopard tanks and APC's in the Canadian army for years, and spent lots of time in hard back racing shell seats in my Porsches. A correctly designed and ergonomic seat will be hard in all the right places, so you can sit for 10+ hours, get up, and have no issues. So, I don't buy the hard cushion explanation, no offence to the poster, for he was well intentioned, and I appreciate the commentary thus far from the others.

To repeat, I've done plenty of long hauls at 10+ hours in "OTHER" E+ seats on United, and traveled every week for 6 years on almost every US and Canadian carrier, usually in the back on my employer's dime, without these issues I and several others had last night. My wife and father in-law were not too happy, and as I said, others were commenting to each other vocally.

During a 3AM walk to the rear lav (with shoes on.....heh) I noticed about 50% of Y was wide awake and restless. Normally it's 10% or so. I wondered why for a bit, and then forgot about it.

Took Zopiclone with a couple of whiskeys in the lounge preboarding because I was in Y and knew I would not sleep well if I did not. And, I did not sleep at all. That is enough to knock me out solid for 8 hours straight.

If these seats reclined another 3 inches and the seat bottom cushion slid forward when doing so, it would have made all the difference in the world. There was more than enough room. Way more than enough. I had to look at the two seats in front of me and had to check their seat back angles, because the guy in front of me was reclined apparently, and I could not easily tell the difference at first. I actually thought my seat was broken for a minute. So, I will speculate here, these seats have IFE which adds weight and complicates things. In order to recline PROPERLY and COMFORTABLY, you will need stronger and larger seat back mechanisms I'd imagine, which adds even more weight. So, trade offs were made to save said weight, add IFE, and make more money.

Whoever signed off on this arrangement at UAL, should be duct taped to this new seat in the desert for 10 + hours and covered with honey. The seat would get them before the fire ants did. Even Kim Jong Un couldn't be this mean to his people.

I don't want compensation like the many who whine here, as I am a big boy (and wouldn't get squat anyways cause I am not entitled to anything) and those of you who read my posts know I am a big UAL supporter. I will just NEVER EVER fly E+ again on trips >3 hours. NEVER..........

Glad I am not the only one apparently who has gone thru this after reading this thread. I thought I was losing my mind last night. At home in YYC now, going to have a hot shower, and hit the sack.

It's "J" all the way from now on if we're going 3 hours +.....no exceptions.......my wife even made that statement before I did this morning at IAH in the Centurion lounge.

Gawd I love that woman.

[rant over]
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by bballdad175
I guess if this info had been in original post, OP wouldn't have gotten the negative feed back posts. This is enough for me to seriously consider which plane/configuration I am flying...
I frequently do TPACs (787s in E+ or 300ERs in Polaris and Never Absolutely Never on a 777!) Always with my travel pac - Pillow, blanket, and Polaris bear.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
The 767-400 is my favorite plane if I need to fly E+ on long haul flights. With that being said, the new slimline seats are nowhere near as comfortable as the original Continental seats they replaced.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KDS777
.I've done over 50 of them.

I am a pretty tolerant hardass capable of sitting in most anything for an extended period of time. I know to get up and flex the body. I drove Leopard tanks and APC's in the Canadian army for years, and spent lots of time in hard back racing shell seats in my Porsches. A correctly designed and ergonomic seat will be hard in all the right places, so you can sit for 10+ hours, get up, and have no issues. So, I don't buy the hard cushion explanation, no offence to the poster, for he was well intentioned, and I appreciate the commentary thus far from the others.

To repeat, I've done plenty of long hauls at 10+ hours in "OTHER" E+ seats on United, and traveled every week for 6 years on almost every US and Canadian carrier, usually in the back on my employer's dime, without these issues I and several others had last night.

[rant over]
To OP if you have had so much experience flying and this trip stands out, perhaps it could be your own body on an off day? We all have good and bad days and our bodies feel good after a workout and maybe bad other days even. Thus, while I'm not defending the UA 10 across model and general sardine can setups nowadays, it could have been you and your wife that trip?????

Take a deep breath, don't respond to this post for at least 24 hours and realize you got there safe and you have so much experience in the past, that this was perhaps just an off day for yourself.

God bless.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by schley
To OP if you have had so much experience flying and this trip stands out, perhaps it could be your own body on an off day? We all have good and bad days and our bodies feel good after a workout and maybe bad other days even. Thus, while I'm not defending the UA 10 across model and general sardine can setups nowadays, it could have been you and your wife that trip?????

Take a deep breath, don't respond to this post for at least 24 hours and realize you got there safe and you have so much experience in the past, that this was perhaps just an off day for yourself.

God bless.
You do realize that there are new "slimline" (as in front-to-back, not side-to-side) seats on many aircraft now, right?
This poster's body has nothing to do with a new seat, with a shorter seat pan (which is angled downward) which slides forward when you recline to give the illusion of more legroom, and less padding. The short seat pan gives no support to those with longer legs and is even uncomfortable for shorter people.
The width of the seat is not the problem (i.e. the 10 across layout).

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 20, 2018 at 11:02 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I frequently do TPACs (787s in E+ or 300ERs in Polaris and Never Absolutely Never on a 777!) Always with my travel pac - Pillow, blanket, and Polaris bear.
Most of my TPACs and TATLs are on the 772 and I'm OK with it until they put the 3-4-3 configuration in Economy. Then, I will have to rethink the risk of not getting upgraded.

I don't think I will ever fly with my 3 Polaris Bears. Imagine if one or more want to wander away........
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by zombietooth
You do realize that there are new "slimline" (as in front-to-back, not side-to-side) seats on many aircraft now, right?
This poster's body has nothing to do with a new seat, with a shorter seat pan (which is angled downward) which slides forward when you recline to give the illusion of more legroom, and less padding. The short seat pan gives no support to those with longer legs and is even uncomfortable for shorter people.
The width of the seat is not the problem (i.e. the 10 across layout).
Zombie..... you didn't realize apparently, that nowhere did I say it was his body shape or size.... it was how he was feeling that day....... which as we know we aren't all mentally and physically at the top of our games each day.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:04 pm

The new Y seats are definitely a lot less comfortable than the old Y seats. For anyone that did not experience them this may be hard to understand or accept. But that is an opinion of majority of those who had a chance to try and compare them.

FWIW all of my planned long haul flying this year is non-UA (while pretty much all of it last year was only UA) and this is directly the result of me taking 2 TPAC flights with those seats. Never again, indeed (and there are plenty of tempting mileage runs out there - but no amount of savings is worth the pain).
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:34 pm

I have to agree with the OP on this. I flew a LH A380 in Y over to Europe and the UA 767-300 with new seats back last week. The difference was night and day. The recline especially stood out as it was nearly impossible to find an angle that kept my head from rolling on the 767. The bottom of the seats lead to my backside literally hurting after four hours. The LH flight was three hours longer, and there was no such issue.

The only plus was that the IFE on the 767 was far better. I'd take being able to rest over this any day though.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by schley
Zombie..... you didn't realize apparently, that nowhere did I say it was his body shape or size.... it was how he was feeling that day....... which as we know we aren't all mentally and physically at the top of our games each day.
Of course I got that. I was making the point that the condition of his body e.g. fatigue, stationary stiffness, and aches and pains, etc. has nothing to do with a seat redesign. I said nothing about body shape, only that tall people are more affected than short.

I guarantee that if you took 100 18-year olds off the street and sat them in the the new slimlines, a solid majority would find them uncomfortable.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:01 pm

Flown UA on a 767 medium-haul international route (ZRH -> EWR) with no problems earlier this year. Was seated in the E+ emergency exit row that has ample leg room. A lot of it depends on what seat you end up snagging.. an emergency exit row is orders of magnitude more comfortable than even a normal bulkhead seat, being able to get up and out of your row without interrupting fellow PAX makes the experience more comfortable as is having the leg room to contort your body in different positions to prevent yourself from "stretching out"
on the flight. As other posters have noted, leaving the pillow and blanket on your seat can help with the stiff seat problem (I usually don't need one since the cabin is always way too hot for me anyways).

Here's the seat I had flying on a 777 back from NRT a week ago:

Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:13 pm

KDS777, is this the first economy flight you have taken 10+ hours in a while? If so, that might explain it. After being in business it is really hard to fly in economy on a long-haul. It is simply torture.

But if you are used to it, it is fine. Once you get un-used to it the it is an issue.
narvik and JMBResona like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.