Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

11 hrs in an E+ 763 new seat.......NEVER AGAIN !!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11 hrs in an E+ 763 new seat.......NEVER AGAIN !!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
With any new generation Y seat, weight and ability to maximize seat count are the top priorities. Comfort takes a backseat to those factors. At least the 767 still have Y at 2-3-2, best Y config by far.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

arent those the PMCO 772s? Thise are luxurious seats by comparison to the vinyl park benches UA is installing

A vinyl park bench is more comfortable than the new slimline seats. They are truly awful. The seat pans are too short and I have a sensation (perhaps it's only my perception) that they slope slightly downward in the upgright, unreclined, position. I don't know if it's worse for me because I am tall, but my wife doesn't like them either and she is only 5' 2". In the 80s, I used to fly on C141s in the jump seats and I remember those seats being more comfortable, but perhaps that's just the rosy retrospection of my youth.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 16, 2018 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by KDS777
The 767 had the new Polaris cabin which DID NOT look impressive......it was like a boiler room cube farm,
All the comments have been about the E+ seat, but I flew GRU-IAH 2 weeks ago in Polaris and my experience was the opposite, closer to a freezer. I seldom use a blanket, but did on that flight. A long time ago I used to fly IAD-GIG-IAD on the 767 in E and remember that I always felt cold on those flights.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS777

Anyone else have the same issue long haul ?
No
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I had E+ on one of the newer 737s on SFO-IAD (worthless upgrade attempt, sigh) a couple of weeks ago. That's a 5 hour flight. I felt like I was 80 and suffering from arthritis afterwards.

And yes, I have taken longhaul E+ (e.g. NRT-SFO) before without any serious issues. The newer E+ seats just seem incredibly uncomfortable. I don't know if the seats I had on that 737 were the same the OP had on his 767, but they were worse than the E+ seats we were complaining about when they redid the Airbus twins previously, by far.

I'm dreading my IAD-SAN-IAD trip in August which has been waitlisted for RPUs since early March. Company-booked, so I couldn't go for F like I do when on my own dime, but I figured, "It's an RPU, and it's not IAD-SFO or anything." This is a route I used to clear using E500s as a Gold. But now I'm expecting E+ at best, and honestly, not looking forward to what should otherwise be a good trip. Maybe the E+ I get will be an older seat and not the new torture devices.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
The max-pack 777s are a game changer for me. I simply will not fly in them ever again in E. That changes the gambit west coast to HNL when you can’t get R>0. Fear of 10 across E trumps hope of lie flat (cramped though they are).

Last edited by cmculp; Jun 16, 2018 at 5:57 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: 1K
E+ gave me diabetes mellitus; consider yourself lucky that you got off the hook with the few conditions you've listed. I am a bit overweight, definitely not in as good of shape as OP!
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:49 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
If 11 hrs in E+ is not your thing, I would not recommend this 60 hour trip in E, although the NZ seat was better than the UA ones back in those days:
Around the World in Under 60 Hours
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by qfrodo
All the comments have been about the E+ seat, but I flew GRU-IAH 2 weeks ago in Polaris and my experience was the opposite, closer to a freezer. I seldom use a blanket, but did on that flight. A long time ago I used to fly IAD-GIG-IAD on the 767 in E and remember that I always felt cold on those flights.
The "boiler room cube farm" reference has nothing to do with temperature, only with appearance. "Boiler Rooms" are high-pressure sales operations where the phone sales staff are arranged in tightly-packed carrels or "cubes".

I appreciate UA's cool cabins. Try TK's "steamroom" cabins for contrast if you like to fly warm.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 17, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know that being fit (or not fit) has much to do with comfort on a long flight. When I was running marathons regularly, I found even domestic F recliners uncomfortable - low body fat means no natural padding, and my hamstrings would get tight and painful after an hour or so.
Being fit does have something to do with it, in exactly the way you suggest. Several of our family are older endurance athletes with <10% body fat, We seem to find even 2-hour Economy flights uncomfortable, while the 30+ BMI folks around us seem comfy as can be. I think that may be the OPs problem -- being fit makes climbing stairs &etc more comfortable. It does not make sitting on your butt more comfortable.

As a side-note, I find it amusing how this thread follows the typical trajectory for this forum: 1) OP has a legitimate complaint/question about United 2) A dozen people chime in about how the OP is mistaken/stupid/wrong (it couldn't possibly be a problem with United).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Being fit does have something to do with it, in exactly the way you suggest. Several of our family are older endurance athletes with <10% body fat, We seem to find even 2-hour Economy flights uncomfortable, while the 30+ BMI folks around us seem comfy as can be. I think that may be the OPs problem -- being fit makes climbing stairs &etc more comfortable. It does not make sitting on your butt more comfortable.

As a side-note, I find it amusing how this thread follows the typical trajectory for this forum: 1) OP has a legitimate complaint/question about United 2) A dozen people chime in about how the OP is mistaken/stupid/wrong (it couldn't possibly be a problem with United).
you forgot 3) the usual suspects opine about how United is the work of the devil/deliberately trying to harm people/and shot my dog 🙂
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AC SE
I find the new slimline seats incredibly uncomfortable as well. I have long legs, and I find the seat pan far too short, it feels like the seats are lower to the ground, and seem to slope downwards.

I've done plenty of long haul flights in Y - have done GIG, SYD, and HND in the past few years in E+, and while it's not exactly comfortable, I didn't find the seats to pose an issue on the previous generation of seats. With the new slimline seats, I even find myself getting uncomfortable in E+ on 4 hour flights. I could tolerate a 10+ hour flight in the previous Y seats; given my discomfort on shorter flights, I wouldn't want to deal with a 10+ hour flight in the slimlines.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
FWIW my wife, who does not have extra natural padding, says that after 6 hours of flight the pain increases exponentially for every additional hour of flight. Lucky for her, on her last long haul, she managed to escape from one of those new slimline seats by being upgraded. But, then, there was another thread where passengers in Polaris Business were complaining about how hard the seat was in the sleeping position. Maybe getting older is not so easy.......
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let return to the discussion of how passengers feel about the new 763 economy seats. Discussion about the motivations of posters are not appropriate

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
shorthand -- Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by jamesn00
When I have to fly economy I use one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure it is not inflated too much and it makes flights more tolerable.
i’m going to get one of those, thanks.

Ive used the following that I got from Amazon:
Posture corrector Posture corrector
. It works well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.