Please Help! 10 Year Anniversary Trip

Old Jun 13, 18, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
Question Please Help! 10 Year Anniversary Trip

So this is VERY last minute, but my wife and I want to take a trip (with an almost 3yr old toddler who just spent a week in Tokyo like a pro) before we get too far along in our 2nd pregnancy. The goal is to use very little cash for an all inclusive vacation in south east Asia while trying to keep the connections to only one if possible. I am looking to book in the next 72 hours and would love some help spending points. My current bank/data is below:

Departure Airport: OKA (Okinawa)
Trip date possibilities: July 18-24th, August 1st-7th
Trip duration: 5-6 nights
Amex Platinum Benefits
MR Points: 125,000
UR Points: 68,000
United Points: 86,000
Marriot Points: 7,000 (yes, will be doing the 100,000pt signup next month)

Last edited by Maximum404; Jun 13, 18 at 12:40 pm
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Based on the profile, Okinawa seems more likely. You can consider Guam or Hawaii that you can fly non-stop from Toyko and a bunch of other places.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, Just did Tokyo for 3 for 48,000 pts round trip. ANA is a United partner and flies many flights daily out of OKI. Just have no idea how best to burn miles or where to go for few points. Taiwan was a thought, but few good all-inclusive beach vacations.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, CGI Plat, Mariott Gold
OKA-TPE July 17-July 24, Eva non stops have availability in Y for 3 travelers. 69K MP miles
Maximum404 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Maximum404 View Post
Yeah, Just did Tokyo for 3 for 48,000 pts round trip. ANA is a United partner and flies many flights daily out of OKI. Just have no idea how best to burn miles or where to go for few points. Taiwan was a thought, but few good all-inclusive beach vacations.
No, they really don't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oki_Airport

I think it's clear you mean OKA.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

HA, sure do. I live in Okinawa and fly out of here often...its just 0400 after 14 hours on shift...thanks for the correction!

Thanks for the rec on TPE, but that is my last option since the all-inclusive hotels (preferable beach) are limited and most are on the south side of the island. I might be stuck going there though. Thanks!

Ok, so right now I am thinking 120,000 MP for a flight for 3 to Phuket, then 120,000 pts for a 5 nights at JW Mariott... any thoughts? Kinda bummed that I'll burn so many miles, but won't do any travel until late 2019.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 18 at 1:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:52 pm

How worried are you about Zika given your wife is pregnant? Most areas of SE Asia are on the map - I'd makes sure you are ok with the risk lest you spend the entire trip being paranoid and not particularly enjoying it.
Old Jun 14, 18, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Ha, yeah, we are comfortable with the risk. I just gave a lecture on Zika the other day, just need to be a bit on the safe side.
Old Jun 14, 18, 1:58 pm

If you are interested in Philippines, Lifemiles award flights Okinawa-Manila or Cebu are only 15K miles OW in Y, 20K OW in J, so 90K in Y/120K in J total. A few options on Asiana/EVA/NH, with one stop in Seoul/Taipei/NRT (the latter will get you on a 787 with half-decent J seats)
Plenty of beaches out there to choose from, but no idea about hotel availability for points.