Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United / FFG Summer Mini-DO in DC (Aug 4, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United / FFG Summer Mini-DO in DC (Aug 4, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by JC1120
Exact time and date TBD, but we will likely need to shut down registration on either July 29 or July 30. Hopefully that gives everyone enough time to work things out!
Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Only two more weeks before the event so register soon if you want to attend!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

One week left to register and hang out with the folks at United who manage IAD!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Anyone heading after the event in the direction of Towson/Baltimore/Union Station in approximate order of preference?

Alternative fallback plan: Gaithersburg/Rockville/Red Line

(Visiting family either way, and we're all getting together on Sunday, so it doesn't particularly matter which of the two places I end up )
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Zorak
Anyone heading after the event in the direction of Towson/Baltimore/Union Station in approximate order of preference?

Alternative fallback plan: Gaithersburg/Rockville/Red Line

(Visiting family either way, and we're all getting together on Sunday, so it doesn't particularly matter which of the two places I end up )
Staying the night @ Marriott Gaithersburg (on my expiring Chase Cat 5 cert) and will have rental.

FWIW.

David
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
My thought - the restaurant is a good ways out past Dulles airport in Ashburn. You really need a car - plus you need an Easy Pass toll device to use the Greenway The Udvar-Hazy Museum is about 13 miles away. Figure an hour to drive out there from DC with tolls on the Dulles Toll Road then high toll on the Greenway. I have not been to this Clyde's before. Should be nice but a car is needed. Not sure if this is really Uber suitable.

You could avoid the toll go on Route 643 to Route 28. A little longer.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Hmm, I'm staying at the Westin Dulles Airport, had figured on Lyft/carpool to the lunch. Bad idea?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Ugh my +1 is out due to a conflict - I will make a final decision this week.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Hmm, I'm staying at the Westin Dulles Airport, had figured on Lyft/carpool to the lunch. Bad idea?
No, you'll be fine. The odds of getting an Uber or Lyft driver near IAD who doesn't have an E-ZPass are almost as low as the odds of that car showing up absent one of its wheels, and even if your driver somehow didn't have a transponder, the Dulles Greenway takes credit cards. Uber's site estimates an $18.55 fare via UberPool right now, which shouldn't be that far from what you'd pay midday on a Saturday.
Zorak likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am at the Dulles Airport Marriott Friday night, so can join in any carpools heading to lunch / Udvar-Hazy on Saturday. Will also be heading into DC afterward, so again, can join in with any transport heading that way...or just to any Metro stop.

Would be easy enough to get a rental car, but seems like it would be more trouble than it is worth...?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm in!

Just registered and looking forward to the event.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Also note that admission is free to Udvar-Hazy but parking is $15 per car.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am at the Dulles Airport Marriott Friday night, so can join in any carpools heading to lunch / Udvar-Hazy on Saturday. Will also be heading into DC afterward, so again, can join in with any transport heading that way...or just to any Metro stop.

Would be easy enough to get a rental car, but seems like it would be more trouble than it is worth...?
I would also like to carpool if possible. Otherwise, we can split a rideshare.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:02 pm

I am at the Dulles Airport Marriott Friday night, so can join in any carpools heading to lunch / Udvar-Hazy on Saturday.
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I sent you guys a PM.

​​​​​I'm scheduled to arrive late Friday night but going to try to SDC to something earlier in case there are any Friday evening social plans as well (e.g. jrl767 is in the area and can't attend the DO but was going to try to meet up with him for beers)
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sexykitten7

We're staying at the IAD Hilton, or the one closest. Getting in Friday from CLE and will have a rental with space for +1 at the least but possibly more if Hertz has something larger in the PC area. So please reach out if you are in need of a ride or anything else.

Last edited by AceReport; Jul 24, 2018 at 6:10 pm Reason: punctuation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.