Fare Classes on Domestic Canada Routes

Old Jun 13, 18, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Fare Classes on Domestic Canada Routes

Received an email today from customer care (after disputing incorrect PQM applied (25%) for Q or V fares booked on united for domestic Canada flights on AC) stating that going forward these will convert to T and receive 25% PQM and no PQD/PQS

I've had trouble getting the PQM on last couple of trips to hit 100% but looks like this going to remove Q/V and place them with STALK-anybody else know if MGUK are still/will be good?
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:36 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by OccasionalCanuck View Post
going forward these will convert to T and receive 25% PQM and no PQD/PQS
Could you post the text of customer care's response? Wouldn't surprise me if AC's earning deal was in flux with the transition out of AP, but the phrase about conversion to T with reduced premier earnings is a bit perplexing.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:06 am
Original Poster

This is what they told me:

We will be making a correction to the Premier Miles for the flights as referenced, you will see an adjustment online in no more than 48 hours. For any future flights booked through united.com or with an agent issued in Q or V Class will convert to T Class and will not earn as many Premier Miles per the chart on the United website.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Refugeeist
This is what they told me:

We will be making a correction to the Premier Miles for the flights as referenced, you will see an adjustment online in no more than 48 hours. For any future flights booked through united.com or with an agent issued in Q or V Class will convert to T Class and will not earn as many Premier Miles per the chart on the United website.
You can thank AC for that. They decide how much they will pay UA for miles accrued on AC flights.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:54 am

Received an email today from customer care (after disputing incorrect PQM applied (25%) for Q or V fares booked on united for domestic Canada flights on AC) stating that going forward these will convert to T and receive 25% PQM and no PQD/PQS

I've had trouble getting the PQM on last couple of trips to hit 100% but looks like this going to remove Q/V and place them with STALK-anybody else know if MGUK are still/will be good?
Were these UA codeshares or native AC flight numbers? If the former, it's possible that UA is going to map Q or V fares to the AC T bucket. If they're AC flight numbers, though, I would continue to press for full credit until / unless the earnings chart is updated.
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Were these UA codeshares or native AC flight numbers? If the former, it's possible that UA is going to map Q or V fares to the AC T bucket. If they're AC flight numbers, though, I would continue to press for full credit until / unless the earnings chart is updated.
that sounds strange - typically, arenít the conversions based on fare basis and not class, I.e. while certain Q basis may match to T (and could have in the past), others likely match to Q, etc. With AC, my impression in the past was that they mostly mapped to the same, at least before the current fare structure change at AC where the same fare class used to always fit into one of Tango, Flex, etc. whereby now you canít tell the fare category based on class. And premium economy, also relatively new, excepted.
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

that sounds strange - typically, arenít the conversions based on fare basis and not class, I.e. while certain Q basis may match to T (and could have in the past), others likely match to Q, etc. With AC, my impression in the past was that they mostly mapped to the same, at least before the current fare structure change at AC where the same fare class used to always fit into one of Tango, Flex, etc. whereby now you canít tell the fare category based on class. And premium economy, also relatively new, excepted.
I don't think we have any way to know how a codeshare conversion is done behind the scenes. Your interpretation is certainly possible.

I agree that the new Tango structure is probably what's gumming up the works; it was clearly the intent to have domestic AC Tango fares give 25% on UA. But if the flight were a UA codeshare, I don't think you can end up on a Tango fare in the first place (I can't imagine an AC Tango fare allowing a UA code).

My opinion is that if UA had a way to distinguish between Tango and Flex fares, MileagePlus would account for that. With the recent introduction of TATL Light fares, and the general move toward unbundling across the board, I suspect that's coming, but I would still want to see it in the program documentation before I accepted a random customer care agent's word for it.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My girlfriend got screwed by this one recently on a trip from YYC-YYZ. we booked it through UA to get the extra PQMís. Didnít complain yet but maybe we should because it looks like it might be the last chance.
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
But if the flight were a UA codeshare, I don't think you can end up on a Tango fare in the first place (I can't imagine an AC Tango fare allowing a UA code).
It depends on how the two airlines map their fares (which is not very well publicized). See the AC forums and there are many instances where AC J and PY TPAC codeshares are mapped to Y class or the fares are mapped to another airline's lower earning mileage etc.
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post
It depends on how the two airlines map their fares (which is not very well publicized). See the AC forums and there are many instances where AC J and PY TPAC codeshares are mapped to Y class or the fares are mapped to another airline's lower earning mileage etc.
It's absolutely possible for UA to map its W fare class to AC's K fare class behind the scenes, which is why I asked if these were UA codes or AC codes.

However, that has nothing to do with Tango. AC no longer determines Tango based on fare class. All fare classes can have Tango fares; Tango or Flex is coded into the fare, not the booking class. Looking at ORD-YUL, for example, I see that AC has filed Tango fare L21S1TG, Flex fare L21S1FL, and Comfort fare L21S1CO; all of these book into L class.
Old Jun 15, 18, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

These are native AC numbers, no codeshare from what I can tell.
Old Jun 16, 18, 1:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AZ ST E+, UA Gold MM, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond
AC is doing the dumb thing that TAP Portugal has been doing for a while where they map your fares to something else before posting them to partner FFPs so that the earning is something like what it would be under the branded fare even if the fare class is different. So that means if you book a fare in Tango, it will probably map to STLAK even if it's a full Y fare. Conversely, if you book a cheapo K fare in Flex, it should map to a 100% earning class, however, I have seen no data points and haven't flown Air Canada in a while so can't confirm. This has absolutely nothing to do with codeshare mapping and IMO is quite dishonest among *A carriers to be doing this as there is essentially no way for you to know what you will earn crediting to a partner program before you take the flight and it posts, and even if you buy the Flex or Classic (TAP's version of Flex) there's no guarantee you'll even earn any miles. Just another way *A is unraveling....
Old Jun 16, 18, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
AC is doing the dumb thing that TAP Portugal has been doing for a while where they map your fares to something else before posting them to partner FFPs so that the earning is something like what it would be under the branded fare even if the fare class is different. So that means if you book a fare in Tango, it will probably map to STLAK even if it's a full Y fare. Conversely, if you book a cheapo K fare in Flex, it should map to a 100% earning class, however, I have seen no data points and haven't flown Air Canada in a while so can't confirm. This has absolutely nothing to do with codeshare mapping and IMO is quite dishonest among *A carriers to be doing this as there is essentially no way for you to know what you will earn crediting to a partner program before you take the flight and it posts, and even if you buy the Flex or Classic (TAP's version of Flex) there's no guarantee you'll even earn any miles. Just another way *A is unraveling....
huh? Confused.

The Fare branding is just ACs way of oversimplifying what you get - mileage (through Aeroplan, at least), change fees, standby options, etc. it has nothing to do with how the fare gets credited to MP.

A tango fare fare doesnít have a set amount earned through MP - but it is based on the, say, K fare that happens to be Tango. Up until several months ago, when specific fare classes on AC were tied to he fare branding, yiu could say, for example, that a domestic Tango fare earns 25% in MP (or whatever). Now, you canít and can just say a K fare earns that, even though it could be a a Tango or Flex (...or whatever).
Old Jun 16, 18, 10:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AZ ST E+, UA Gold MM, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

huh? Confused.

The Fare branding is just ACs way of oversimplifying what you get - mileage (through Aeroplan, at least), change fees, standby options, etc. it has nothing to do with how the fare gets credited to MP.

A tango fare fare doesnít have a set amount earned through MP - but it is based on the, say, K fare that happens to be Tango. Up until several months ago, when specific fare classes on AC were tied to he fare branding, yiu could say, for example, that a domestic Tango fare earns 25% in MP (or whatever). Now, you canít and can just say a K fare earns that, even though it could be a a Tango or Flex (...or whatever).
Since they introduced the new branded fares a Tango fare does earn a set amount of miles in MP regardless of the fare class....but they don't tell you what that amount is anywhere. So if you book a Y fare in tango, AC will change the fare class before posting to partner program so that you do not earn 100% mileage.
Old Jun 16, 18, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
Since they introduced the new branded fares a Tango fare does earn a set amount of miles in MP regardless of the fare class....but they don't tell you what that amount is anywhere. So if you book a Y fare in tango, AC will change the fare class before posting to partner program so that you do not earn 100% mileage.
What you're describing is fraud.

I have no problems believing that UA will rewrite its AC earning chart so that domestic Tango fares earn 25% -- that is clearly the point of the chart as it stands, pre-"Tango up to Y" nonsense. But as long as their chart says "W earns 100%," I expect to get 100% for the purchase of a W fare. This isn't rocket science.

Search this Thread