Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1976 (PHX-EWR) gone for the month of December 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

UA1976 (PHX - EWR) is not available for purchase for the month of December 2018. It looks like it's available for sale in January 2019.
Does United do this often, as this is the first time I have seen it happen? What would be a good avenue to complain about this? I am a 1K.
Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azfanboy
UA1976 (PHX - EWR) is not available for purchase for the month of December 2018. It looks like it's available for sale in January 2019.
Does United do this often, as this is the first time I have seen it happen? What would be a good avenue to complain about this? I am a 1K.
Thanks.
Seasonal / holiday reductions are common. I guess 1kvoice would be the best avenue to register dissatisfaction, although they won't be able to do anything about it. You have to be chairman of a municipal authority or something like that to get them to keep a flight on the schedule.
Xyzzy and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Where/how do you think you "see" this?

I see the flight scheduled and available for purchase for multiple days in December 2018.

Unless you're able to drive significant corporate traffic on this route, or a bigwig at the airport authority on either end, UA is wholly uninterested in your complaints about any reduction in service.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Unless you're able to drive significant corporate traffic on this route, or a bigwig at the airport authority on either end, UA is wholly uninterested in your complaints about any reduction in service.
But I'm 1K! I fly a lot! United upgrades me! I'm boarding group 1! I fly 100,000 miles a year!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
But I'm 1K! I fly a lot! United upgrades me! I'm boarding group 1! I fly 100,000 miles a year!
LOL, all of the above

Originally Posted by mduell
Where/how do you think you "see" this?

I see the flight scheduled and available for purchase for multiple days in December 2018.

You are absolutely right, I should've filtered in that fashion. I think I am just surprised as I usually take the flight on Sundays and this is the first time I have been affected, so I am in shock I guess.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2018 at 2:21 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
You are absolutely right, I should've filtered in that fashion. I think I am just surprised as I usually take the flight on Sundays and this is the first time I have been affected, so I am in shock I guess.
It happens, especially in smaller airports where the demand is not as high as hub-hub traffic.

BWI-LAX/SFO is a good example. I used to take this all the time but it sometimes goes away for 2-3 months, then reappears. I suspect it's because traffic is unusually low during those months and instead shift my traffic to IAD. I suspect PHX is similar because there aren't a lot of UA flights out of an AA hub.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
It happens, especially in smaller airports where the demand is not as high as hub-hub traffic.

BWI-LAX/SFO is a good example. I used to take this all the time but it sometimes goes away for 2-3 months, then reappears. I suspect it's because traffic is unusually low during those months and instead shift my traffic to IAD. I suspect PHX is similar because there aren't a lot of UA flights out of an AA hub.
I am not sure that's the case here. It looks like there are still 3 daily flights from PHX - EWR on those dates. It looks like the red eye has been replaced by UA1826 which departs at 1:18PM
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
Seasonal / holiday reductions are common. I guess 1kvoice would be the best avenue to register dissatisfaction, although they won't be able to do anything about it. You have to be chairman of a municipal authority or something like that to get them to keep a flight on the schedule.
And we know how well that worked for SMI/J
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks.
I'm not seeing this. 1976 is on the schedule for each of a handful of December dates that I checked. Instead of a reduction, I'm seeing two non-stops on the dates I checked in June/July and three in December.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:15 am

https://www.kayak.com/direct/PHX-EWR/2018-11
https://www.kayak.com/direct/PHX-EWR/2018-12

1976 runs 3x weekly in November, and is off the schedule until later in December.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Ironic since UA put out a PR pretty recently touting expanded service from EWR to ‘popular’destinations, with PHX being one of those. Seems like Kirby is taking the doublespeak Smisek was excellent at and taking it a notch up to outright lying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.