Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Seats Available, DEN-KOA, 24 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM

Any ideas why a DEN-KOA flight 2 weeks out would have zero availability? I find it hard to believe that all seats in both cabins have already been sold out.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
UA possibly blocking seats in case an aircraft downgrade occurs?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hans
Any ideas why a DEN-KOA flight 2 weeks out would have zero availability? I find it hard to believe that all seats in both cabins have already been sold out.
Are they still selling tickets? What date?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
If you are talking about right now, I saw maybe two days ago on 9news that most of the KOA flights were sold out because so many people jumping on them to go see the eruption. I admit that My daughter and I almost jumped on a flight last weekend to go do the same thing.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It's turned out to be a popular route with only 1/day service. On some days, you'll just have to go the old way (via West Coast connection).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM
They’re selling seats. June 24.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Are they still selling tickets? What date?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hans
June 24
Maybe check the seat map again? I see the cabin full, but plenty in E+, with a scattering in empty seats in E-. (They have one blocked seat in F, as they're still selling one additional F ticket).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
If you are talking about right now, I saw maybe two days ago on 9news that most of the KOA flights were sold out because so many people jumping on them to go see the eruption. I admit that My daughter and I almost jumped on a flight last weekend to go do the same thing.
My best guess is that school is just out and vacation to the big island has been planned for many families.
I was there two weeks ago. The volcano park has been closed for more than one month. There is a pricy holicopt option ($500/person) available to see the volcano eruption.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
My best guess is that school is just out and vacation to the big island has been planned for many families.
I was there two weeks ago. The volcano park has been closed for more than one month. There is a pricy holicopt option ($500/person) available to see the volcano eruption.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
$500/pp is about par for the course for helicopter tours on the Big Island. I paid $450 and there wasn't an eruption to witness - used Blue Hawaiian and was very happy w/ the experience. (I'm not a vendor or affiliate, just a personal recommendation).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Maybe check the seat map again? I see the cabin full, but plenty in E+, with a scattering in empty seats in E-. (They have one blocked seat in F, as they're still selling one additional F ticket).
Yeah, I see F1 Z1 P0, and wide open in Economy. Not really surprising for a high season weekend nonstop to Hawaii with no competition.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Its a website glitch or they are planning a plane swap - all the economy fare classes are available S9 W9 L9, etc - that they aren't available for purchase tells me something else is going on. They might even cancel the flight/route.

The reality of the situation on the Big Island is hotel bookings are down 50% and Hawaiian announced today a cutback of 3 daily HNL to Big Flights today due to low demand from the volcano. The Volcano park is closed, the air is bad, etc.....
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
$500/pp is about par for the course for helicopter tours on the Big Island. I paid $450 and there wasn't an eruption to witness - used Blue Hawaiian and was very happy w/ the experience. (I'm not a vendor or affiliate, just a personal recommendation).
I'd pay that for a good air tour to see the eruptions. I paid about $300 back in 2001 for a Blue Diamond Tour and since we got some good views of some small eruptions that I even bought the VHS Tape of it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
UA possibly blocking seats in case an aircraft downgrade occurs?
Unlikely - it's a 757-200. Anything less doesn't have the range. Anything larger has more seats. Maybe United cancels routes if future bookings dry up due to less than ideal skies for tourists at Kona coast? A lot of people purchase this trip in advance, but last month or so might discourage future bookings if the vog continues. If it wasn't for Mauna Loa, Kona would be fine with prevailing winds. Unfortunately, the presence of it creates a vortex that draws the vog into the Kona area.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I'm seeing F1 Y9 (all the way down to N9) on UA1758 24-Jun-2018

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.