Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Nesting a UP Itinerary within a UA Itinerary

Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:19 am
RNE
Original Poster

We're planning to go CLE/CAK-FLL Sep 1-6 on UA. I'm thinking about nesting a jaunt to NAS on UP Sep 2-6. On the return, how many hours should I allow to connect from the NAS-FLL UP flight and the FLL-XXX-CLE UA flight? Does US Immigration and Customs take place at NAS or FLL? Any other qualms I should have about this plan?

Ironic Background: We don't even want to go to Ft Lauderdale; we want to go to Nassau. However, we have a free night at a nice hotel in FLL that is use or lose. So, we're going to stay there Saturday, then go to NAS on Sunday for four nights (taking advantage of a 4th night free offer) and return to FLL Thursday.

Note: Silver Airways is not an option because TSMRSRNE won't fly on non-jet equipment. Go figure.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
We're planning to go CLE/CAK-FLL Sep 1-6 on UA. I'm thinking about nesting a jaunt to NAS on UP Sep 2-6. On the return, how many hours should I allow to connect from the NAS-FLL UP flight and the FLL-XXX-CLE UA flight? Does US Immigration and Customs take place at NAS or FLL? Any other qualms I should have about this plan?
The MCT appears to be 1:30, as it seems there's a change of terminal involved. On separate tickets, I'd pad that for safety.

There is a preclearance facility at NAS, so you should go through customs & immigration there, but I'd check with the UP forum to make sure there's not a caveat somewhere.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat
UP is Bahamasair for those of you wondering (as I was). Googling UP was not terribly helpful! Apparently there is also an Israeli UP!
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
..... Googling UP was not terribly helpful! Apparently there is also an Israeli UP!
There is/was --- but it is discontinuing using the brand name and its IATA code is/was LY (as UP was already assigned)
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is/was --- but it is discontinuing using the brand name and its IATA code is/was LY (as UP was already assigned)
They're still selling tickets. It's basically El Al's Ted (only more so).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They're still selling tickets. It's basically El Al's Ted (only more so).
Israel's El Al to drop UP budget brand
El Al Israel Airlines (LY, Tel Aviv Ben Gurion) has announced it will discontinue its UP by El Al (LY, Tel Aviv Ben Gurion) budget brand as part of a revision of its European market business model.
EL Al will replace the brand with three different family-branded fare structures: Classic, Flex, and Lite all of which will be available on UP's network.
The sale of new these new products to Europe will start on April 30, 2018, for flights departing as of October 15, 2018.
By the relevant information for this thread is the IATA code UP is for Bahamasair as was mentioned earlier.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

USICS/CBP pre-clearance in NAS but still plenty of risk with Bahamasair operational reliability. I'd leave plenty of time for the connection. MCO is also a Bahamasair gateway, if that helps with return flight scheduling.

Also, booking an entire trip around a "free" hotel night that you don't really want anyways seems rather self-loathing. Go where you want to be. Life's too short to make bad decisions for "free" stuff.
RNE likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:39 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, booking an entire trip around a "free" hotel night that you don't really want anyways seems rather self-loathing. Go where you want to be. Life's too short to make bad decisions for "free" stuff.
Getting to NAS from CLE is no picnic either. It involves departures too early and/or connections too many. (Thank you CO-UA merger... not! ) We're better off going to FLL to get to NAS, methinks. I'll make sure to pad the UP return. Getting home late isn't as problematic as getting to the beach late.

Next on my to-do list: Getting Neptune to cool it with the September hurricanes. As a demigod, I have a little sway.

RNE, remarking that you know me, Seth. I'm the pathological antithesis of self-loathing.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Getting to NAS from CLE is no picnic either. It involves departures too early and/or connections too many. (Thank you CO-UA merger... not! ) We're better off going to FLL to get to NAS, methinks. I'll make sure to pad the UP return. Getting home late isn't as problematic as getting to the beach late.

Next on my to-do list: Getting Neptune to cool it with the September hurricanes. As a demigod, I have a little sway.

RNE, remarking that you know me, Seth. I'm the pathological antithesis of self-loathing.
How about CLE-EWR-NAS? I grant - the beaches here in NJ are a lot further from the airport than FLL, but the connection options are likely much better.

I also see options on DL thru ATL, and B6 thru FLL.

Just a thought.

edit: Or, if you want to go in style... Ultimate Air shuttle BKL-MMU, then hop over to EWR-NAS. I live about 5 minutes from MMU and would be happy to chauffeur you to EWR (provided the dates aren't when I'm away!)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
edit: Or, if you want to go in style... Ultimate Air shuttle BKL-MMU, then hop over to EWR-NAS. I live about 5 minutes from MMU and would be happy to chauffeur you to EWR (provided the dates aren't when I'm away!)
In style, indeed! Sadly, Ultimate Air doesn't list a BKL-MMU flight on its website.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
In style, indeed! Sadly, Ultimate Air doesn't list a BKL-MMU flight on its website.
They must've dropped it since I last looked! They used to fly that route ...

Sorry for the false hope. :-/
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by RNE

Ironic Background: We don't even want to go to Ft Lauderdale; we want to go to Nassau. However, we have a free night at a nice hotel in FLL that is use or lose. So, we're going to stay there Saturday, then go to NAS on Sunday for four nights (taking advantage of a 4th night free offer) and return to FLL Thursday.

Note: Silver Airways is not an option because TSMRSRNE won't fly on non-jet equipment. Go figure.
What time is your FLL-XXX-CLE flight?

If your taking the first UP flight to FLL which usually leaves at 7am, 1.5 hours is sufficient to get and recheck luggage. You clear customs in NAS. I would only do this with UP or WN because both are in Terminal 1 with UA, so it's just a matter of going back upstairs to check-in/clear security.

For any other time, I would allow 2.5 hours if using UP or B6. WN can remain at 1.5.

Keep in mind UP has ATR's. September is a slower month due to school going back in. Be careful of UP203 because it will fluctuate between the 737 & ATR in slow periods.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:40 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
What time is your FLL-XXX-CLE flight?
Have not booked it yet, but I'm probably going to take UA 2335 FLL-EWR 3:30 pm - 6:29 pm. UA 2119 EWR-CLE 7:23 pm - 8:57 pm

If your taking the first UP flight to FLL which usually leaves at 7am, 1.5 hours is sufficient to get and recheck luggage.
That's too early. I'd book UP 203 10:30 am - 11:25 am. That'll give me 4 hours to connect at FLL. Way more than I need but the other options are a tad too tight for my sensibilities.

Keep in mind UP has ATR's. September is a slower month due to school going back in. Be careful of UP203 because it will fluctuate between the 737 & ATR in slow periods.
Yup. That'll be dicey.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:26 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
We're planning to go CLE/CAK-FLL Sep 1-6 on UA. I'm thinking about nesting a jaunt to NAS on UP Sep 2-6.
Followup: We booked the trip to FLL (routing through ORD) and without the NAS nest, which was wise because flight delays today created a trip-in-vain cancellation and a refund from UA. Thus, we're in Ohio instead of Florida and the UP flight we never booked will take off without us.

RNE, exemplifying the risk of nesting flights.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds as though OP made a sound decision. Always worth remembering that what he was proposing was not a connection, but a transfer between two entirely separate journeys. How much time one ought to allow is not a matter of MCT, but rather of one's own risk tolerance and the consequences of not showing up for one's onward ticket.

If there is a delay inbound, that is on the passenger and that delay can become quite expensive. Best approach is to build in an overnight.
RNE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.