Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA contact info to submit a potential lawsuit complaint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA contact info to submit a potential lawsuit complaint

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not much help to the OP, but there really needs to be a Florida-style Stand Your Ground law extended to inflight conflicts. I am reading too many similar reports, either FT posts or news articles where a passenger was assaulted, groped or otherwise abused by a nearby person. Something like this was better resolved on the spot with whack over the drunk's head with a nearby fire extinguisher. Voila...problem solved.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not much help to the OP, but there really needs to be a Florida-style Stand Your Ground law extended to inflight conflicts. I am reading too many similar reports, either FT posts or news articles where a passenger was assaulted, groped or otherwise abused by a nearby person. Something like this was better resolved on the spot with whack over the drunk's head with a nearby fire extinguisher. Voila...problem solved.
No. lol.
How many more 'fights' do we need on airplanes? And we're so tightly packed, an attempt to "whack" a drunk's head with a fire extinguisher will almost certainly result in hitting someone else as well.
coolbeans202 and Often1 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's how others get hurt.

Crew are trained to de-escalate situations, but that only goes so far.

Flights to & from trouble spots such as LAS need better-trained GA's and FA's who know when to cut people off (before it's a problem).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Often1

Flights to & from trouble spots such as LAS need better-trained GA's and FA's who know when to cut people off (before it's a problem).
In UA's defense, they did identify a troublesome passenger (he made a couple of snide remarks and a rude announcement completely sober) prior to my flight departure out of LAX to LAS and after a gate agent talked to the captain, had that passengers' ticket revoked. The passenger never even made it to the front of the boarding line. So, they are trying, from at least what I can see.
BeanTownBoy and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
If one pax is being abusive to another, wouldn't the appropriate crew reaction be to move the abusive pax, not the victim?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I imagine that OP thinks $500 is inadequate because the difference between the Economy seat he could have paid for at the time of booking, and the biz seat he actually paid for, was rather greater than $500.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by physioprof
If one pax is being abusive to another, wouldn't the appropriate crew reaction be to move the abusive pax, not the victim?
Try moving a belligerently drunk passenger and let us know how that works out for you . My guess is that the situation would escalate
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
OP didn't ask how to effectuate service of process but rather asked how to submit a 'little-c' complaint to UA, presumably threatening a lawsuit ("potential lawsuit complaint") and seeking more money.

Best advice, OP, is to calm down and ask yourself: were you damaged (monetarily) in any way? If not, take your $500 voucher and run. If you feel you're entitled to money damages, consult an attorney. Writing UA on your own using the treat of a lawsuit to leverage a monetary settlement will likely be a waste of your time.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by physioprof
If the goal is to minimize violence or damage, isolating the drunk is the goal. It's not about being fair, it's about being smart.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?

Agree, and the few times I've had issues with passenger behavior It's been at LAS and FLL
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:54 pm

I am curious in this regard: can the OP sue the passenger?

Suppose a flight is diverted b/c of passenger behavior. Can another passenger on that flight who misses a wedding, a funeral, or a critical business meeting sue the responsible party for damages?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by SkyHarbor
I am curious in this regard: can the OP sue the passenger?

Suppose a flight is diverted b/c of passenger behavior. Can another passenger on that flight who misses a wedding, a funeral, or a critical business meeting sue the responsible party for damages?
And this is why I am so happy that I do tax and not torts... I certainly couldn't put up with what trial lawyers do on a daily basis...
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Talking

Hmmmm not quite UA's crews, as they seem to enjoy abusing passengers.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
If the goal is to minimize violence or damage, isolating the drunk is the goal. It's not about being fair, it's about being smart.
Yeah, that does make sense.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
No point in trying to file a police report. Being verbally abused by a drunk is not a crime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.