FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Will PQD ever include TAJV Partner Tickets, AC & LH? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1913707-will-pqd-ever-include-tajv-partner-tickets-ac-lh.html)

US @ DEN Jun 11, 2018 3:15 am

Will PQD ever include TAJV Partner Tickets, AC & LH?

Corporate ticketing policy is to book direct with operating carrier (no codeshares) - and PE, but no J. Therefore, I am on AC and LH a lot this year if going to Europe - not risking GPUs clearing on UA as I've had low success rate and PE is 1.5 mileage earning. However, if ticketed on LH or AC stock, I do not earn United PQD, even though these particular segments are part of the transatlantic joint venture between UA, AC, and LH.

Any chance this PQD policy will change - especially as United is getting this revenue, but customers aren't getting PQDs?

PsiFighter37 Jun 11, 2018 5:35 am

I highly doubt UA will ever take an action that would increase the number of premier numbers, especially on the PQD front.

Aussienarelle Jun 11, 2018 7:12 am

Is the amount of your international travel such that you would be better off joining the program for the OAL?

I have not read good things about Aeroplan (AC) and do not know much about Miles & More (LH). Since you will not get the PQDs with United another strategy to consider. Also, none of the miles on OALs helps with MM status so no need to credit to UA MP program.

However , if the *A miles (on AC and LH) help you reach Platinum and you have the CC waiver for the PQDs then that may not be an optimal strategy. Although to your point you cannot get to 1K without the PQDs.

jsloan Jun 11, 2018 10:03 am

Originally Posted by US @ DEN (Post 29852582)
Corporate ticketing policy is to book direct with operating carrier (no codeshares) - and PE, but no J. Therefore, I am on AC and LH a lot this year if going to Europe - not risking GPUs clearing on UA as I've had low success rate and PE is 1.5 mileage earning. However, if ticketed on LH or AC stock, I do not earn United PQD, even though these particular segments are part of the transatlantic joint venture between UA, AC, and LH.

Any chance this PQD policy will change - especially as United is getting this revenue, but customers aren't getting PQDs?

I'm not sure I understand how, or why, your ticketing policy would exclude codeshares. That said, UA has announced a PE product to start later this year. (The ability to book codeshares wouldn't help you anyway, as UA doesn't offer a codeshare into PE).

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 29852876)
I highly doubt UA will ever take an action that would increase the number of premier numbers, especially on the PQD front.

I disagree. Both DL and AA offer their PQD equivalents for partner flights ticketed on foreign stock. I expect UA will do the same, at some point, whether they're able to get actual fare information or if they have to fake it from mileage like AA/DL. Frankly, I'm surprised that they didn't do it for the current qualification year.

PVDtoDEL Jun 11, 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 29853136)
Is the amount of your international travel such that you would be better off joining the program for the OAL?

I have not read good things about Aeroplan (AC) and do not know much about Miles & More (LH). Since you will not get the PQDs with United another strategy to consider. Also, none of the miles on OALs helps with MM status so no need to credit to UA MP program.

However , if the *A miles (on AC and LH) help you reach Platinum and you have the CC waiver for the PQDs then that may not be an optimal strategy. Although to your point you cannot get to 1K without the PQDs.

Miles and More is one of the least generous programs in *A, and Aeroplan is getting phased out in a few years..

Depending on OP's travel patterns, might be worthwhile to look at some of the better *A programs like OZ, TK, and A3.

rankourabu Jun 11, 2018 10:28 am

Aeroplan is shutting down in 2020, and points will almost certainly become worthless if not used by May 2020.

I prefer UA's way of not handing out PQD for partner flights, and having a foreigner exemption. If it meant the loss of the latter for the former, many foreign members would simply leave. Much better than AA/DL still having a dollars component but awarding % based PQDs for flights.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by US @ DEN (Post 29852582)
Corporate ticketing policy is to book direct with operating carrier (no codeshares)...

This seems like the dumbest booking policy in today's commercial aviation reality. Do they provide a sane reason for this policy or is just arbitrary?

Xyzzy Jun 11, 2018 11:12 am

I can see a default of avoiding booking codeshare flights because that can confuse naive passengers. But to make that a policy if one specifically asks and the codeshare booking conforms to the rest of the corporate p:olicy (price, etc.) seems silly.

emcampbe Jun 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 29853950)
Aeroplan is shutting down in 2020, and points will almost certainly become worthless if not used by May 2020.

IIRC, Aeroplan is not shutting down at all, it just won’t be ACs frequent flyer program anymore. Haven’t been following the most recent news on this, but last time I checked, Aeroplan would continue to exist, still run by Aimia, just as a more generic program that competes more with Air Miles. Also, Aeroplan points are supposedly still going to be redeemable for flights after the cutoff (we’ll see), and likely all the other non flight rewards too, it just won’t be ACs program and you won’t earn points/status through Aeroplan after that time.

US @ DEN Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks for the responses here - a couple clarifications and path ahead:

"I'm not sure I understand how, or why, your ticketing policy would exclude codeshares."
-- Policy is that codeshares can be booked if cost is lower. Equal cost books with operating carrier - should have clarified that. But note below, even if I could book codeshares, UA doesn't offer codeshare on PE fares...yet.
"UA has announced a PE product to start later this year. (The ability to book codeshares wouldn't help you anyway, as UA doesn't offer a codeshare into PE)."
-- Yes, was hoping UA would put forth a PE booking code in 2018, but not yet. Hoping that occurs for qualification year 2019.
"Both DL and AA offer their PQD equivalents for partner flights ticketed on foreign stock. I expect UA will do the same, at some point..."
-- I am booking a lot of OW on CX, BA, AA with PE fares/earning this year, skipping UA and *A unless more convenient. Thinking I'll go for the extra SWU at 150k on AA this year and call it a lost year on UA.
"reach Platinum and you have the CC waiver for the PQDs"
-- This is probably where I'll end up on UA for 2018. Big benefit for me is no redeposit fee for award bookings...and as this is available at Plat level, I will at least retain this benie.
"...better off joining the program for the OAL?"
-- I will change to OAL from UA for 2019 unless they specifically acknowledge PE is coming in 2019 for earning status, just didn't have the foresight this year and regretting it!

Xyzzy Jun 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by US @ DEN (Post 29859796)
-- This is probably where I'll end up on UA for 2018. Big benefit for me is no redeposit fee for award bookings...and as this is available at Plat level, I will at least retain this benie.

FYI - UA charges Platinum members $50 to change/redeposit awards within 60 days of the date :of travel.

Baze Jun 12, 2018 6:48 pm

What about trans Pacific JV partners? Think if they ever did do Atlantic they would also do Pacific. But having been a UA flyer for over 20 years and seeing how they do things, especially now (which is why I left) I don't see UA ever doing this.

Repooc17 Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm

This is my first year of earning on AC flights, and it has been fairly easy to attain status. Following one long haul roundtrip in J and a few other *A flights, I have reached E35K, on my way to E50K. I already have the spend requirement (only need 50% as someone living outside of Canada). Redeeming flights in parallel.