Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

As UC members have no access to Polaris lounges, what will be the impacts on the UCs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As UC members have no access to Polaris lounges, what will be the impacts on the UCs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
By the way, the D lounge at IAD yesterday at 11am had a station serving free mimosas. Never seen that before. Too bad I was on a business trip. Though I had been in an Admirals Lounge in ORD two days before where they had a taco bar and guacamole station, so the UC still seems behind.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by j2simpso
From my experience at DEN (and many UA hubs), the level of crowdedness varies depending on which lounge you go to. For instance, the UC closest to the UX wing of DEN tends to be less crowded than the other UC. Similarly when I was in EWR a few weeks ago, the normal UC wasn't too crowded but the popup was packed (and also a joke in terms of food selection and what not). Depending on how much time you have when connecting/departing it may make sense to shop around the various UC clubs to find the one that works best.

That being said I fully agree that those one time coupons and other ways to gain access are certainly putting pressure on the load factor of these clubs. However, I can't blame UA for doing this - if you're making $59 for every pax with a coupon then that'll more than offset the costs of providing the service to the pax. One thing I'm curious about, and would love to hear veteran FTers discuss is how the UC situation was back in the day when we had US and access to their lounges. Was the RCC less packed (and stingy for that matter) than the clubs are today?

Safe Travels,

James
Plenty can offer more history than I, but I think I started membership around 2007/2008 if memory serves. Back then, no free drinks, but we got drink coupons depending on status.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Artpen100
By the way, the D lounge at IAD yesterday at 11am had a station serving free mimosas. Never seen that before...
I missed a mimosa set-up at EWR March 6th by like 5 seconds. They were taking it down well before 11am, though. They do pop up I guess once in a while at various places.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

THIS - " I'm sure Elites in the EWR market pay just like I do. I would assert that many of said Elites likely get reimbursed for their memberships by their employers."
For many of us - Elites or not - we ARE our employers. Those of us who work for ourselves don't get the benefit of "employer" reimbursements. It's an expense like any other and - like any other - a cost/value analysis has to be done. If I'm paying for access to a club so I can take care of business, relax and unwind in a quiet space, that's what I expect to get. To be told to "go somewhere else because we're too crowded here's-a-voucher" or to have to do multiple circuits around the club and then share a table with someone does not provide the value relative to the cost. For those of us who are "solopreneurs" the club is not a simple "perk" that's free for us during downtime. It forms part of a business strategy that enables us to work more efficiently. The value of this is such that not getting what we're paying for is sufficient for us to find another airline/program to shift our loyalty to.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like you’re paying money for one thing but expecting another. United “Clubs” aren’t member-run. United doesn’t promise a “quiet place” - that’s something you’ve decided a UC should be. If an alternate airline provides the lounge facilities you expect and their network works for you, just move on.

You’re right, the Club is cost/benefit calculation. Total efficiency also going to include an airline’s network/schedule, hubs, local airport location etc.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 29, 2018 at 11:52 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Actually, the UC always was a quiet place, so I'm guessing that's what UNITED decided it WOULD be - in the past. That's what I signed up for and what I got for years. United set those expectations - not I. Since conditions have deteriorated so much United is no longer providing what it had provided and what I signed up for. So in effect, they've reneged on the bargain. As stated in my original post I was wondering about alternatives at EWR. Or at JFK. It's really not that complicated.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by VoiceActor
THIS - " I'm sure Elites in the EWR market pay just like I do. I would assert that many of said Elites likely get reimbursed for their memberships by their employers."
For many of us - Elites or not - we ARE our employers. Those of us who work for ourselves don't get the benefit of "employer" reimbursements. It's an expense like any other and - like any other - a cost/value analysis has to be done. If I'm paying for access to a club so I can take care of business, relax and unwind in a quiet space, that's what I expect to get. To be told to "go somewhere else because we're too crowded here's-a-voucher" or to have to do multiple circuits around the club and then share a table with someone does not provide the value relative to the cost. For those of us who are "solopreneurs" the club is not a simple "perk" that's free for us during downtime. It forms part of a business strategy that enables us to work more efficiently. The value of this is such that not getting what we're paying for is sufficient for us to find another airline/program to shift our loyalty to.
Where do you think you will go? Any idea?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Looks like you’re paying money for one thing but expecting another. United “Clubs” aren’t member-run. United doesn’t promise a “quiet place” - that’s something you’ve decided a UC should be. If an alternate airline provides the lounge facilities you expect and their network works for you, just move on.

I think you're splitting hairs. United describes the lounge environment as relaxing and comfortable. If the EWR UC in C (which the OP is specificcally referring to) is like a Calcutta bus station, by definition it can't be those things. I find quiet place to be a euphemism for what UA does indeed promise. To each their own I guess.

The OP is right to think, gosh my expectation is born from the years of experience with this product (which I've paid for). If there is inconsistency to the delivery or execution of the product, I have a right to voice my displeasure. We do it all the time with equipment swaps, random seat assignment changes, the wrong wine loaded on a flight etc even though UA never promises any of those things specifically.
VoiceActor likes this.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jun 30, 2018 at 10:30 am
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:39 am

I'm not a frequent flyer, but I appreciate a quiet environment. Otherwise we should all sit out in the terminal. I fly more business class these days. Having the wrong wines is annoying LOL. I like to research ahead of time.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Actually, the UC always was a quiet place, so I'm guessing that's what UNITED decided it WOULD be - in the past. That's what I signed up for and what I got for years. United set those expectations - not I. Since conditions have deteriorated so much United is no longer providing what it had provided and what I signed up for. So in effect, they've reneged on the bargain. As stated in my original post I was wondering about alternatives at EWR. Or at JFK. It's really not that complicated.
To be fair, years ago, we didn't have omnipresent laptops with free broadband wifi and inexpensive cellphone plans. The last 3 times I was in a UC, the most obnoxiously loud people were folks trying to "take care of business" over their cell phones (with ubiquitous Bluetooth earpieces). That is a change that we -- the passengers -- have brought on, not United, and how many people do you think would squawk if the United Club monitors tried to silence them like an old-school librarian?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would expect impact to be positive as you won't have premium cabin *A passengers packing the UA lounges, which was often the case at IAD, IAH & SFO (and I would imagine other hubs). Nobody in their right mind would visit a UC now if they have access to Polaris. Of course, Polaris will be packed for peak departures as we have seen at ORD.

To be fair I can't comment on EWR as I have almost no reason to transit there and avoid like the plague. But I don't think you can extrapolate from EWR to IAH or SFO. I have not visited UCs @sfo since the Polaris launch but have no reason to expect them to be worse.

Yes there is overcrowding during the transition/construction but that is to be expected. I am sure the showers are an important factor for many TATL & TPAC passengers though I doubt I would need a shower at EWR after a TATL westbound daytime flight. They are more useful after the redeye flights from Africa and eastbound TATL (the LH arrivals lounge @fra is a delight).

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, the food in the better DL clubs is objectively much better than domestic UCs.
Disagree. While I was impressed with DL spread at SFO, it was mediocre at ATL international lounge (the PP lounge across the way was much better).

AA lounges used to have healthy food for purchase which IMO put them well above both DL & UA (not to mention VX & AS).

Last edited by Boraxo; Jul 1, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Polaris lounges are now available in ORD, SFO, and now EWR. Where are you flying Polaris out of?
Furthermore, you are unfortunately not flying true Polaris, but rather a Polaris soft product. The Polaris hard product on certain aircraft is indeed all aisle access. Aircraft types, routes, and departing airports matter for your Polaris experience. You could see none, some, or all of the benefits depending on where you depart.
Ok, but then, what is this Polaris hard product of which you speak? (lol!)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I would expect impact to be positive as you won't have premium cabin *A passengers packing the UA lounges, which was often the case at IAD, IAH & SFO (and I would imagine other hubs). Nobody in their right mind would visit a UC now if they have access to Polaris. Of course, Polaris will be packed for peak departures as we have seen at ORD.

To be fair I can't comment on EWR as I have almost no reason to transit there and avoid like the plague. But I don't think you can extrapolate from EWR to IAH or SFO. I have not visited UCs @sfo since the Polaris launch but have no reason to expect them to be worse.

Yes there is overcrowding during the transition/construction but that is to be expected. I am sure the showers are an important factor for many TATL & TPAC passengers though I doubt I would need a shower at EWR after a TATL westbound daytime flight. They are more useful after the redeye flights from Africa and eastbound TATL (the LH arrivals lounge @fra is a delight).
My post was specifically about EWR - about Terminal C at EWR - nowhere else. And no, it's not less crowded with the opening of the Polaris lounge. I flew out of there two weeks ago with the Polaris lounge in full swing and, as I mentioned before, had to ask someone if I could share their table. It was jammed.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
For many of us - Elites or not - we ARE our employers. Those of us who work for ourselves don't get the benefit of "employer" reimbursements. It's an expense like any other and - like any other - a cost/value analysis has to be done.
I would also add that not all companies (like my Fortune 50 employer) reimburse employees for airline club expenses, so it is a personal expense and decision.
VoiceActor likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
My post was specifically about EWR - about Terminal C at EWR - nowhere else. And no, it's not less crowded with the opening of the Polaris lounge. I flew out of there two weeks ago with the Polaris lounge in full swing and, as I mentioned before, had to ask someone if I could share their table. It was jammed.
Agreed. Was through EWR Term C on Friday and it was the normal pit-of-despair. Interestingly, I received yet another survey asking about my United Club experience at EWR.

Not sure why they are blasting surveys out for an experience they HAVE to know is sub-par. Is there a department at United that specifically measures to ensure the right level of crappy-ness?
UA_Flyer, VoiceActor and truncated like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.