Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

As UC members have no access to Polaris lounges, what will be the impacts on the UCs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As UC members have no access to Polaris lounges, what will be the impacts on the UCs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why I now fly DL T-con.
I still consider UA BOS<->SFO and LAX<->EWR, but outside of that I'm on on a lie-flat (or close to it) with someone else.

Originally Posted by auandagbug
United's "improvements" to the United Clubs seem like one step forward and two steps back. I don't object to an exclusive Polaris Club for those flyers, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all for United to provide showers in their UCs at their international hubs as a minimum. Clearly DL and AA understand the needs of long haul flyers (as did Continental) much better than United does.
The counter argument in another thread was that DL only has one level of lounge access for all premium/elite travelers. Not sure that would hold any longer with AA given the FL's.

We all know UA has never had a strong lounge shower game, this just continues what's already in the company DNA.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
We all know UA has never had a strong lounge shower game, this just continues what's already in the company DNA.
It seems the CO shower gene was recessive.
lensman likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It seems the CO shower gene was recessive.
Unfortunately, yes. Especially appreciated were showers arranged for morning arrivals in Europe.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I'm going to buck the trend, and say it's not at all unreasonable for EWR UC members to be upset that they've had showers taken away (permanently) and had to deal with unacceptable crowding while UA built out the Polaris lounge, without any commensurate reduction in the annual membership fee. And will for the foreseeable future be stuck with domestic lounges which are on average objectively inferior to the competition (DL and AA). That's different from saying that UC members should have Polaris access, because that's not going to happen.
I have been saying for a long while that the downside of Polaris would be a substantial devaluation of the United Club experience. United not only pulled out showers in the places that had them (IAH, EWR) - while DL/AA have them - but you can expect the food/beverage to fall in quality as well. We all know what the Smisik/Kirby minions will says "well we are spending all this $$$ on Polaris Lounges, and our J traffic is not using the UC, so why spend any $$$ on people who are credit card holders or just have *A status"

The entire business model of taking the paid J traffic into an "exclusive" lounge was bound to result in a downgrade in the experience for everyone else.

What is really stupid is some of the stuff like not allowing Polaris access on TCON flights in J. I can fly Delta and have access to showers on either end (in J or Y) but on United, well pound sand. Bottom line is that if it was not for the centurion lounge at SFO I would have zero flights on UA. Zero. Delta, with a decent lounge at SFO, and decent lounges system wide, would get all of my traffic.

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
The food - especially the paper plates and bowls - in the Delta clubs are inferior to United Clubs. I can’t comment on AA clubs.
this is laughable. Both the DL and AA clubs are vastly superior to UCs, with only a very few exceptions (SAN Is one, and the UC at LHR is nice). They not only have showers, but better booze selection as well as more/better food. Even the new UC's like at SEA are a joke compared to the DL clubs. The DL clubs are good enough that I am agnostic on whether I go to the SkyClub or Centurion Lounge where both are available. Slightly better food at the Centurian, and better hard ETOH, but the SkyClubs are open and airy and have abundant showers.

Sorry, the food in the better DL clubs is objectively much better than domestic UCs. That's not subject to reasonable debate. At SFO, DL uses china. Additionally, their plates, bowls, and glasses are all larger than the tiny, portion minimizing plates, bowls, and glasses that UA makes available.

ETA: If you're just comparing the clubs in SAN, I agree UC is better. But that's my favorite domestic UC, and the SC is pretty weak.
+1 SAN is perhaps the one UC where the new look makes up for the slighly better food/drink at the DL skyclub.

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Have to disagree with you there.

As for the UC's, it is ridiculous that they pulled showers out of existing lounges. Unless I significantly increase my non transcon UA flying, I can't foresee paying for a membership going forward.
+1. The inability to have access to a shower on TCONs, even in J, is a strong reason not to book UA for me.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
To echo what many other's have said here, United's biggest weakness in their regular lounges is the lack of showers.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
funny how people on this thread react very differently from the people on EWR Polaris thread, upon the suggestion of access of P.S. crowd.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
funny how people on this thread react very differently from the people on EWR Polaris thread, upon the suggestion of access of P.S. crowd.
The inability to look beyond ones self interest is endemic, and is almost built into the DNA of this discussion board. I can see those who are exclusively flying Polaris not wanting the (often large) number of domestic J passengers using the lounge, as it may cause crowding and will inevitably (in their minds, and IMHE) give UA management a reason to cut the service levels yet further.

However, as a business matter, I think its stupid. United is facing competition from DL/AA who offer much better lounges with showers, traffic will migrate, the airline will be eventually hurt by this.

I can draw a parallel to BE. Lots of FT folks said "who cares, I don't buy them" yet as was pointed out the way UA was doing it would likely drive away traffic, hurting the entire airline. That turned out to be true, as UA has now admitted.

I have an interest in UA - the main carrier in my primary residence - to be both financially healthy and competitive. Short sighted and short term moves like what UA is doing with Lounges don't help United in the long term IMHO, and that is my pole-star.
canadiancow and truncated like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Edit to add: If you're flying *A airlines overseas, you have access to all of the normal *A biz lounges with your paid membership. Those are almost always infinitely better then whatever Priority Pass will offer.
Not quite. SQ also stiffs you on lounge access, limiting you to KrisFlyer lounges and locking you out of SilverKris.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:24 am

J

Originally Posted by spin88
The inability to look beyond ones self interest is endemic, and is almost built into the DNA of this discussion board. I can see those who are exclusively flying Polaris not wanting the (often large) number of domestic J passengers using the lounge, as it may cause crowding and will inevitably (in their minds, and IMHE) give UA management a reason to cut the service levels yet further.

However, as a business matter, I think its stupid. United is facing competition from DL/AA who offer much better lounges with showers, traffic will migrate, the airline will be eventually hurt by this.

I can draw a parallel to BE. Lots of FT folks said "who cares, I don't buy them" yet as was pointed out the way UA was doing it would likely drive away traffic, hurting the entire airline. That turned out to be true, as UA has now admitted.

I have an interest in UA - the main carrier in my primary residence - to be both financially healthy and competitive. Short sighted and short term moves like what UA is doing with Lounges don't help United in the long term IMHO, and that is my pole-star.
I don't understand the real need for PS access in the Polaris lounges.

Most PS traffic is O&D since most of the connecting traffic is coming from paces with direct flights to EWR or SFO - so a long connection shouldn't drive a need to visit the lounge.

PS travelers almost all have some combination of TSAPre, Clear, and priority security so they should be able to get to the airport close enough to boarding to not need to spend a great deal of time in the lounge.

I fully understand that my examples above don't cover all situations but from a competitive perspective UA probably feels that the value they are creating for their international business travel product by having a dedicated lounge (unlike DL or AA) is more valuable than offering transcon F passengers access to the Polaris lounge.

As an aside, I tend to book connections that don't give me the time to go into the Polaris lounges for more than a quick glass of water. I'd rather spend an extra 2 hours with my kids than leave my home airport early enough to get to SFO/ORD/IAH (when it opens) with enough time to enjoy the lounge. The exception is that I do like a shower after a 9 hours red-eye before getting on my connection home and I do like a nice place to lounge on a 3 hour delay.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I think keeping Polaris Lounge to international Polaris Business customers is fine. It should provide consistent branding and services as expected by international premium passengers.

I am in agreement that the current United Club offerings are significantly below to comparable lounges at AA and DL. This is a separate issue from whether PS passengers should have access to Polaris Lounge. It is important for UA management to realize its United Club offerings are below its competitors. Better food and services offerings and showers are important to business passengers, particularly PS passengers and those who paid for UC memberships. UA seems to run and manage its UC as if it is for public/charitable services.

Originally Posted by CDSEA
As an aside, I tend to book connections that don't give me the time to go into the Polaris lounges for more than a quick glass of water. I'd rather spend an extra 2 hours with my kids than leave my home airport early enough to get to SFO/ORD/IAH (when it opens) with enough time to enjoy the lounge. The exception is that I do like a shower after a 9 hours red-eye before getting on my connection home and I do like a nice place to lounge on a 3 hour delay.
I am in total agreement with the above. Polaris Lounge or any equivalent offerings at other airlines don't seem to excite me as much. I am more interested in the offerings during transit after landing from a long haul international flight. A nice shower and possibly a meal before taking the domestic flight and allow me to sleep on the connecting domestic flight. The exception will be when I decide to eat in the lounge instead of on the plane particularly those late evening flights between SFO/LAX and AUS/SIN, and East Coast to EU. I have found Polaris lounge of little benefits to me in the morning or early afternoon before my trip.
zeer0 likes this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 11, 2018 at 6:22 am
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CDSEA
I don't understand the real need for PS access in the Polaris lounges.
PS travelers almost all have some combination of TSAPre, Clear, and priority security so they should be able to get to the airport close enough to boarding to not need to spend a great deal of time in the lounge.
I agree with everything you posted; however, this statement in particular does not work out all the time. Take LAX for example. Without the construction on the new "people-mover" summer traffic is absolutely a nightmare. From the beginning of the south side of the Sepulvida tunnel to Terminal 7 (Taking the famous United shortcut on the departure level) can take anywhere from 30-50 minutes on a weekday. Around noon. It's about a 15 minute walk if you tried to walk it (don't; LAX police will stop you) or a 1.8 mile drive. And this is all on LAX property, so it would be the same traffic you'd hit if you parked at a hotel and tried to take a hotel shuttle in. Or one of those "parking" shuttles. This isn't even the peak traffic time. So trying to "guess" how long you'll need to deal with LAX traffic is often a losing game. And this is before taking into account freeway traffic if you're coming from Downtown Los Angeles. It's much easier to just plan 3 hours and sometimes you make it with 30 minutes to get through security and other times you make it through with 1.5-2 hours to spare.

And there's no way around this as a passenger. There's only a few ways on/off the airport and you have to deal with this traffic. The only exception is if you use the private terminal or have an "LAWA" access badge. Then there are other entrances/exits you can take which grant you access to the secure side of the airport.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
While it's blatantly evident that UAL did not manage lounge capacity nor amenities properly when launching Polaris (thanks Oscar) if you want to get in to Polaris, you've got to fly Polaris.

I've spent $30K out of my own personal funds flying about 8 Polaris trips and have yet to see the inside of the new lounge, because IMHO, they totally bungled the hard product launch from day one, and I dont connect thru ORD. But, the Polaris lounge concept was not, and is not, the reason I fly in J on UAL Having said that, I am patiently waiting for IAH to open.

Get a platinum AMEX and move on. The Centurion gate guards are very good at enforcing the rules IMHO.......having stood beside them numerous times while they refused guest access over the 2 person limit and/or turned others away.

Last edited by KDS777; Jun 11, 2018 at 7:07 am
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
The food - especially the paper plates and bowls - in the Delta clubs are inferior to United Clubs. I can’t comment on AA clubs.
Wait long enough and the devaluations will catch up. UC at ORD T2 is already paper plates, plastic ware and cups! Let’s call them picnic clubs!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Maybe it's just me, but I see the UCs and Polaris lounges as two completely different animals. United offers entry to their clubs by daily entry and annual memberships and entry to a Polaris lounge is technically by invitation. You purchase a certain class ticket and you get an invitation to the lounge. I have made the same argument in the past about entering the UCs 'I've purchased a 1st class ticket so I should have access to the UC.' It didn't work for me then and doesn’t work now. So I started purchasing annual memberships and I’ve quite happy with the product provided. As for the Polaris lounge(s) I’ve gone out of my way a couple of times to try the one in ORD and for me it was OK but not worth the extra stop. I’m more interested in flying business/first (to Asia) on 300er than the lounge that I use. Maybe with the opening of Polaris lounges in EWR, SFO, and soon IAH I’ll get more use out of them.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:12 am

I’m fine with restricted Polaris access but would like to see access to Polaris lounge while traveling PS business as a 1k or GS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.