Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

As UC members have no access to Polaris lounges, what will be the impacts on the UCs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As UC members have no access to Polaris lounges, what will be the impacts on the UCs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
The shower tangent is getting silly.

If you need to be in a specific physical and mental state for a certain known event at a particular time and day, take the flight that allows you to do so.

It's not the airline's responsibility to provide you with quasi-hotel facilities at N/C at any terminal, and doing so certainly does nothing for your already accelerated burnout going forward. I traveled weekly for almost 6 years, and never once had to put myself in the situation being discussed here.
BlueZebra, JMBResona and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 11, 2018 at 9:03 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I get all the kvetching but the Polaris lounge has never been marketed as a UC. It is part of the added value for long haul premium pax. Not domenstic, not PS, not a UC. Get over it.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by milepig
I get all the kvetching but the Polaris lounge has never been marketed as a UC. It is part of the added value for long haul premium pax. Not domenstic, not PS, not a UC. Get over it.
THIS!

Just like Lufthansa has three levels of lounges, UA now has two -- and it nly sells memberships to the bottom level.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Does the DOT require UA to provide one if needed? You need to understand - United Clubs are not member-run facilities. United is not required to provide one and has gone through the decision-making process (right or wrong) to eliminate them for non-long-haul front cabin customers. You need a shower? That's your responsibility, according to United.
I believe you're using my quote out of context. I was trying to make the point that there are multiple solutions to the "shower requirement" for non business class passengers (which I find silly) aside from just giving access to a Polaris lounge.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 11, 2018 at 9:03 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDSEA
I believe you're using my quote out of context. I was trying to make the point that there are multiple solutions to the "shower requirement" for non business class passengers (which I find silly) aside from just giving access to a Polaris lounge.
Actually, the post I was replying to didn’t have any context. It just said something like “passengers need showers”. I agree with you re finding other places to shower. The lounges are what UA gives to us and we need ti find work around to what they don’t provide.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 11, 2018 at 9:04 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDSEA
It sounds like your issue isn't about having access to the Polaris lounge. It seems that it's more about the UC's decline in quality, square footage, and perhaps entry policies.
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
It is a bit unclear what we should be discussing in this thread. That being said, I think the clarification by CDSEA is a good start, i.e. UC's decline in quality, square footage, and perhaps entry policies.
Originally Posted by anc-ord772

The original poster was really concerned about EWR specifically, and the follow up post I quoted most likely refers to the original scope of the question/concern/rant.

Gah. Yes. Thank you for finally understanding my post. I don't need access to a Polaris lounge. I don't want access to a Polaris lounge. I don't feel I should have access to a Polaris lounge unless I'm flying Polaris. This is NOT about my wanting to get into a Polaris lounge. Had United built out a Polaris lounge at EWR I would happily pass it by on my way to one of the 2 regular UC in C. BUT, United took a regular lounge out of commission permanently, thereby crowding the remaining one to the point where members who've spent hundreds of dollars a year for access can't get in. THAT is what my issue is. Maybe what IAH....stated will play out that way and half the upstairs lounge will empty out when Polaris is in full swing. We'll have to see. Meanwhile, I feel UC may not hold the value for me it had previously and was hoping for suggestions on other options.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I mentioned this previously, if you are flying *A airlines you do have access to all (except SIN) Int'l business class *A lounges as a UC member; irrespective of your status. In LA you have access to the excellent *A lounge in the TBIT.

If you find yourself flying a ton internationally on non-*A airlines, then priority pass may be your best bet, but the quality of the lounges is generally a step below even a United Club...
As long as you have a UC membership, even if you're flying Economy with no status on a *A airline, you'll have access to *A business lounges.
Originally Posted by jsloan
The *A Lounge Finder is your friend. (The Lounge Buddy app should work also).
Thank you. It appears you have to have Silver *A at a minimum on the *A website. You're not able to search unless you select a status. I'll check out lounge buddy. My first flight in Jan this year I did get access to the SWISS lounge in Zurich on my way to EWR without status. No *A at AGP or MAD. Interestingly, AGP has an arrangement with SWISS but even though I flew into AGP on Polaris via a connection in ZUR on SWISS they wouldn't let me in the lounge to freshen up. They said lounge access was only for DEPARTING business class flights, not arrivals.
I have 4 hours in MUC on the way to MAD later this week and am hoping to find something there.
Xyzzy and pushmyredbutton like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2018 at 1:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I'd gather the business case for the SFO shower might be Asia connections from SkyTeam carriers like China Southern given Delta's limited Asia footprint. For example, want to go CAN-ATL or MSP....SFO is one of your quickest routes. SZX-MSP, SFO surprisingly works well - better timing than LAX connections. And when the Terminal 1 is expanded, who knows whether DL decides to launch some Asia service out of SFO to give UA some heat.
I've asked, and the showers are at SFO because Delta is putting them into all clubs that have "DeltaOne" service. SFO gets DeltaOne from JFK, so it has showers. As to who uses them? It is mostly those on red-eye flights out of SFO and some early arrivals into SFO (who left JFK, ATL, etc early in the am and slept on the plane).

There is some connecting traffic, but not that much, mostly because there is no inside security transfer at SFO from T1 to the A gates, so you have to go outside of security and change terminals. I would expect connecting traffic to pick up some when the New T1 and airside connector open up c2021.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VoiceActor
...They said lounge access was only for DEPARTING business class flights, not arrivals...
Most partner / *A lounges are departure lounges - ie access is determined by departing flight.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Gah. Yes. Thank you for finally understanding my post. I don't need access to a Polaris lounge. I don't want access to a Polaris lounge. I don't feel I should have access to a Polaris lounge unless I'm flying Polaris. This is NOT about my wanting to get into a Polaris lounge. Had United built out a Polaris lounge at EWR I would happily pass it by on my way to one of the 2 regular UC in C. BUT, United took a regular lounge out of commission permanently, thereby crowding the remaining one to the point where members who've spent hundreds of dollars a year for access can't get in. THAT is what my issue is. Maybe what IAH....stated will play out that way and half the upstairs lounge will empty out when Polaris is in full swing. We'll have to see. Meanwhile, I feel UC may not hold the value for me it had previously and was hoping for suggestions on other options.

I put the fault of the misunderstanding squarely in the corner of whomever - it must have been an admin? - went in and CHANGED the subject of my post - which had been specific to EWR and nowhere else - thereby giving it a different meaning. And unfortunately I don't see any way to change it back.

Why would you do that? Why would you think you know better than I what I'm trying to say?
To further reinforce these points, all of us had to suffer the UC decline while Polaris was being built. The fact you can use Polaris today is not material. As a *G and UC Member, I have extreme difficulty with how they handled the migration. But as someone who usually flies Polaris, I will go in there and expect that they maintain the high standards for access. None of us are winners during the period of UC capacity reductions to support the transition to Polaris.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
BUT, United took a regular lounge out of commission permanently, thereby crowding the remaining one to the point where members who've spent hundreds of dollars a year for access can't get in. THAT is what my issue is.
Have you actually been to the EWR UC lounge the past few days after Polaris opened? I was there about 1pm to about 2:30pm the other day going back to SF and it didn't seem crowded to me (although I never really found it packed when I went pre-Polaris) - but I don't know the peak times.

When do people not get in?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Have you actually been to the EWR UC lounge the past few days after Polaris opened? I was there about 1pm to about 2:30pm the other day going back to SF and it didn't seem crowded to me (although I never really found it packed when I went pre-Polaris) - but I don't know the peak times.

When do people not get in?
I was there end of April and was handed a VOUCHER to leave the club and go to a restaurant because they were over capacity. I went in anyway and fortunately snagged one of those booth/desks just as someone was leaving. The lounge was PACKED. I didn't even go up to the bar because it was 2/3 people deep all across. I was there in March and while it wasn't as packed as in April it was still very full. Same in January. I'm off end of this week again and will see if Polaris opening has made a difference.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was there end of April and was handed a VOUCHER to leave the club and go to a restaurant because they were over capacity. I went in anyway and fortunately snagged one of those booth/desks just as someone was leaving. The lounge was PACKED. I didn't even go up to the bar because it was 2/3 people deep all across. I was there in March and while it wasn't as packed as in April it was still very full. Same in January. I'm off end of this week again and will see if Polaris opening has made a difference.
As noted in various threads, the lounge situation at the hubs during the time of Polaris lounge construction is/was bad (LAX being the exemption). Once a Polaris lounge opens at a hub, there should be significant relief at the co-located UCs.
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
The following you also have access to as a member, but require clearing security twice:

- LH lounge in Term B (ok-ish food on the biz side but limited hours)
- SAS Lounge in Term B (limited hours but large space)
- MLL in Term A (nothing great to say about this one)

So yeah, you have options. AMEX and Chase won't do anything else for you except get you into Art & Lounge in Term B which is terrible.

Edit to add: If you're flying *A airlines overseas, you have access to all of the normal *A biz lounges with your paid membership. Those are almost always infinitely better then whatever Priority Pass will offer.
EWR is my home airport so I've been in every lounge here (except Polaris since it just opened). While Arts and Lounge isn't a pretty lounge, they are always serving hot food, usually 4 choices and have a self serve bar. (also a bartender if you want). I always get a steak burrito from Currito's the best FAST FOOD burrito money can buy (I've been to MMEX and KSAT) many times so I know a good burrito. (blows Moe's, Chiplote and Qdoba out the water by 10 miles) and walk in with my PP membership have myself a nice drink and relax. Yeah I have to clear security after but it's not a bad club by any stretch. I think Delta's lounge takes the cake at EWR domestically.

Last edited by theboss7593; Jun 12, 2018 at 1:00 am
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

As noted in various threads, the lounge situation at the hubs during the time of Polaris lounge construction is/was bad (LAX being the exemption). Once a Polaris lounge opens at a hub, there should be significant relief at the co-located UCs.
LAX is the exemption during the Polaris build, but we sure took it in the shorts for about 18 months while the new UC was being built. I recall that when the new LAX UC was first announced, it was going to include showers and a Global First lounge. Then the plans changed. GF was killed, and the showers never materialized. By the time the LAX Polaris Lounge opens, it will probably be around 3 years since the demise of the LAX GF lounge, and the beginning of all construction.

At least we do have the option of using the *A lounge at TBIT if we are not flying Polaris and really want a shower!
anc-ord772 and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
LAX Polaris lounge opening in a couple of months will have 'em. UA is being consistent. Polaris lounges will have showers, UCs won't.
NRT, HKG and LHR UCs will have showers removed? To stay “consistent”?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.