UA999, EWR-BRU: spotty on time record?

Old Jun 10, 18, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Plat, IHG Spire, Hilton,Miles&More
UA999, EWR-BRU: spotty on time record?

I have an upcoming EWR-BRU-LED trip.
Connection time is 1hr. 20 Min at BRU.
Iíve been watching recent flight status of UA999 and see itís on time record is less than stellar.
(trip was arranged by a river cruise as part of package)
Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Also, if on time arrival, should this be ample time to clear immigration.
Thank You!

Old Jun 10, 18, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SilverElite View Post
Connection time is 1hr. 20 Min at BRU.
Iíve been watching recent flight status of UA999 and see itís on time record is less than stellar.
(trip was arranged by a river cruise as part of package)
Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Thank You!

I would not do 1h20 in BRU. Do you have an extra day prior to the start of the cruise? When is the next flight out of BRU?
Old Jun 10, 18, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SilverElite View Post

Thank You!
Don't think you will be clearing immigration in BRU for BRU-LED.
Old Jun 10, 18, 10:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
As long as you aren't departing on your river cruise same-day (never a good idea) I would go for it. If it works out, great, but there is some redundancy on LH and other carriers to reroute if things go pear-shaped. There's nothing inherent to UA999 which makes it any more delay-prone than similar flights.
Old Jun 10, 18, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If OP is flying EWR-BRU-EU and hoping for a 1h20 connection, I would not do this. Immigration is very hit or miss on this one.

But...

LED Is Russia, so this is non-Schengen to non-Schengen. OP would be fine with that connection if the flight's a normal time.

Alternatively, route EWR-IAD-BRU <even via SDC>, as that gets in 7:15 am - less international traffic in BRU then.

I've been decent on this route - haven't seen it too late, but it all depends on the day and other factors.
Old Jun 11, 18, 7:02 am

Don't get me started on UA999

But as others mentioned already, no immigration in BRU, so that saves a lot of time for the connection. You will have to reclear security though.

After leaving the gate, make sure you don't follow the flock of people as that will end you up in the immigration line. Look for the TRANSFER B or GATES B signs.

SilverElite likes this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Plat, IHG Spire, Hilton,Miles&More
Thank you for all of your comments!
Old Jun 15, 18, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you look carefully when exiting UA999 you will likely be able to simply go up the stairs and out into the B departure concourse without a long walk or additional security screening. There should be a small sign. The stairs are as soon as you get into the terminal building, BEFORE you get to the corridor that takes you back to security. I've been able to d this at BRU.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 15, 18 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 15, 18, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
If you look carefully when exiting UA999 you will likely be able to simply go up the stairs and out into the B departure concourse without a long walk of additional security screening. There should be a small sign. The stairs are as soon as you get into the terminal building, BEFORE you get to the corridor that takes you back to security. I've been able to d this at BRU.
Is that legal for arriving passengers or is that a stair for staff that happens to be publicly accessible (badge protected door propped open or something like that)? Seems a bit weird that they would allow one to circumvent security like that, but then again it wouldn't surprise me at BRU.

Not every flight that arrives at the B-gates is coming from a developed country that has their airport screening in order, and climbing that stair could theoretically give access to US or Israel-bound flights without rescreening. The official line, as published on the website of the airport, is that you need to reclear security when transferring ex-Schengen to ex-Schengen.
Old Jun 15, 18, 2:44 pm

As all above mentioned, no immigration to clear. You will walk from one floor to another (and when I did it last year - I do not recall any security, so even if it was there - it must have been extremely quick). Provided flight is not too late, it's plenty of time to connect.
Old Jun 15, 18, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
Is that legal for arriving passengers or is that a stair for staff that happens to be publicly accessible (badge protected door propped open or something like that)? Seems a bit weird that they would allow one to circumvent security like that, but then again it wouldn't surprise me at BRU.

Not every flight that arrives at the B-gates is coming from a developed country that has their airport screening in order, and climbing that stair could theoretically give access to US or Israel-bound flights without rescreening. The official line, as published on the website of the airport, is that you need to reclear security when transferring ex-Schengen to ex-Schengen.
This is not a side door. It's meant for passengers. It's used for "clean" I:I flights such as those originating in the US. IIRC the door to the stairway is not always pen. That could just depend on which gate one arrives at, I'm not sure.
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by br2k View Post
As all above mentioned, no immigration to clear. You will walk from one floor to another (and when I did it last year - I do not recall any security, so even if it was there - it must have been extremely quick).
There is one. It's a dedicated screening for transfer pax and often there is no queue at all. I believe the transfer B->B is not clearly marked and many transfer-passengers just follow the flow and end up in the immigration line. They will eventually be sent back if they can't enter Schengen, but by then you're already sitting in the lounge.
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
There is one. It's a dedicated screening for transfer pax and often there is no queue at all. I believe the transfer B->B is not clearly marked and many transfer-passengers just follow the flow and end up in the immigration line. They will eventually be sent back if they can't enter Schengen, but by then you're already sitting in the lounge.
If you follow the stairs and simply go up one floor (if that option is available) you do nt need to reclear security. Otherwise you walk down the hall and either go through security or immigration.
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
If you follow the stairs and simply go up one floor (if that option is available) you do nt need to reclear security. Otherwise you walk down the hall and either go through security or immigration.
Good to know, thanks ^ Can't recall any quick transfer option the last times I went there but I may have missed it, will pay attention next time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: