Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Approaches to Book 016 Ticket for Air Canada?

Approaches to Book 016 Ticket for Air Canada?

Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Pretty easy through GF. Availability wide open.

I am flying the nonstop route next week in J (lie flat) - roundtrip under $900 plated on UA 016 tix. Y fares same price.

Edit: June 26 departure, June 30 return - all in J - $984 on UA; $2K on AC.
Well, you’re talking J and I’m talking Y...

Originally Posted by cfischer
so what UA codeshare is tomorrow's AC741 or AC757 YYZ-SFO?
Weird that those aren’t. But there are 4 other flights tomorrow that are code shares.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Pehaps you book a multicity itin with a ua segment first like lax-sfo//yvr-sfo? Call within 24 hours to drop the first segment - odds are that it will remain on United ticket stock.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks

Weird that those aren’t. But there are 4 other flights tomorrow that are code shares.
There are several routes where there is either none, limited or spotty UA codeshare on AC flights to/from the US. Whether UA or AC are driving this ... not sure, but those transcon routes are the ones with the least amount of codesharing IME.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:25 pm

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm just looking around trying to confirm something:

If I buy a flight on AC, and my goal is to earn PQM, I will receive UA PQM credit for the actual miles flown regardless of whether it's ticketed by AC or UAL.

Is that a correct statement?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm just looking around trying to confirm something:

If I buy a flight on AC, and my goal is to earn PQM, I will receive UA PQM credit for the actual miles flown regardless of whether it's ticketed by AC or UAL.

Is that a correct statement?
Yes. Zero PQD on AC stock, but the same PQM regardless of ticket issuer.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:56 pm

Ok, but the reason I ask is that on this page they aren't that clear about it. I assume it won't be an 016 ticket, so looking at that chart is shows the discounted economy fares don't always get miles. But, I don't really care that much about accumulating miles, I just want to make sure I get the PQM. Am I understanding that only the regular award miles are affected by fare class, and PQM is strictly miles flown even on a codeshare?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, but the reason I ask is that on this page they aren't that clear about it. I assume it won't be an 016 ticket, so looking at that chart is shows the discounted economy fares don't always get miles. But, I don't really care that much about accumulating miles, I just want to make sure I get the PQM. Am I understanding that only the regular award miles are affected by fare class, and PQM is strictly miles flown even on a codeshare?
Look at the "MileagePlus Premier qualification" section on that page.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think I misread your original question. You will earn the same PQM regardless of ticket stock, but your earnings will be reduced by half for int'l BE fares, and down to 25% for S/T/A/L/K fares within Canada.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:17 pm

My understanding of MilagePlus, and fellow FTers correct me if I'm off base here, is that the amount of PQMs earned depends solely on the operating carrier. It doesn't matter what ticket stock you have, if the metal you fly on is AC then you'll earn PQMs per the AC accrual chart.

In terms of award miles, then it gets a bit more complicated. If it's a UA flight regardless of what card-stock its printed on or it's UA card stock than the normal UA earnings apply. Otherwise, the earnings will depend on the operating carrier's accrual chart. Tickets purchased using a consolidator introduce several wrinkles and are a topic well beyond the pay grade of FT.

Speaking specifically of AC milage accrual, for revenue flights you'll earn at least 25% PQM on flights (i.e. domestic within Canada cheapest fare). 50% PQM on Economy Basic flights everywhere, or 100% for all other flights. Similar to UA Economy Basic fares may share the same fare code as normal economy flights (i.e. K) but are designated as Economy Basic on the ticket. Before you start thinking of the 500 mile PQM, also remember that it is impacted by these percentages as well. For instance, a deep discount short haul domestic flight (i.e. YYZ -> YOW) would only earn 125 miles (i.e. 25% of PQM minimums). Similarly a full fare Executive class (fare code J) will earn 1500 miles for the same trip (i.e. 300% of PQM minimums).

On a side note, many UA loyalist who happen to maintain a residence in the Great White North have been using Air Canada flight passes which give you a fixed number of one way flights for a flat fee. For instance the $1,900 CAD weekender pass gives you 8 one-way credits between the Canadian West coast and US west coast (i.e. between BC and AB and CA, WA, OR, NV) These credits can be redeemed on fairly short notice (some up to an hour before departure) with changes being relatively inexpensive or even free! If you decide to go down this route, you need to sign up for AC's Aeroplan program then purchase the flight pass. After you've done that, whenever you book a flight using the pass you'll want to plug in your MilagePlus number during booking (and confirm it shows up during OLCI). As before you'll earn UA PQM/RDMs on flights taken with those passes and gain all the *Gold benefits (i.e. lounge access, checked bags).

Hope that clarifies things.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I think I misread your original question. You will earn the same PQM regardless of ticket stock, but your earnings will be reduced by half for int'l BE fares, and down to 25% for S/T/A/L/K fares within Canada.
Hi please pardon my ignorance but are you making a distinction between PQM and 'earnings'? What does you mean by earnings?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi please pardon my ignorance but are you making a distinction between PQM and 'earnings'? What does you mean by earnings?
No distinction -- you will earn 25% of the distance as PQM for STALK fares within Canada, regardless of ticket stock. 50% for Basic Economy, and 100% for other discount Economy fares.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
My understanding of MilagePlus, and fellow FTers correct me if I'm off base here, is that the amount of PQMs earned depends solely on the operating carrier. It doesn't matter what ticket stock you have, if the metal you fly on is AC then you'll earn PQMs per the AC accrual chart.....
This not just UA MP, it is true for all of *A carriers.

When someone asking about earnings or mileage -- it is sometimes not clear if they are asking about RDMs/award miles or PQMs/status miles.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Another question I'd like to ask - Any strategy to ensure you book a 016 stock through concur? I am able to find flights through google flights and it prices out on UA.com; but if I put in the same flight timings on Concur, I end up with two one-way tickets instead. My aim is to get those PQD because the tickets are almost a $1000 and I do this trip once every 4-6 weeks.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
Another question I'd like to ask - Any strategy to ensure you book a 016 stock through concur?
Concur is just a front-end. The actual tickets will be issued by whatever travel agent you use behind the scenes.

Whether they are able to issue on 016 stock is something you'll need to ask them - and almost certainly it's not something you can trigger via Concur.

In the case of our TA (Amex GBT) they will issue on 016 stock only if at least one of the flights is on UA, and of course it needs to be fare that can actually be ticketed on UA which most but not all AC fares seem to allow. eg, for a recent flight SFO-YVR-PEK-YVR-SFO they were able to issue my ticket on 016 by changing the SFO-YVR leg to a United metal flight (a UA codeshare should also work).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
Another question I'd like to ask - Any strategy to ensure you book a 016 stock through concur? I am able to find flights through google flights and it prices out on UA.com; but if I put in the same flight timings on Concur, I end up with two one-way tickets instead. My aim is to get those PQD because the tickets are almost a $1000 and I do this trip once every 4-6 weeks.
If memory serves me correctly UA codeshares for AC (which should print on UA ticket stock) will have the UA logo appear in the search results and a UA flight number but have the same info as the AC flight you're intending to book (i.e. UA8292 for SFO->YYZ instead of AC756). On some AC routes, there is no UA codeshare hence the reason why you may see two one-ways as the option (one for the UA codeshare and the other for the AC flight). In addition, UA codeshares often cost more than booking direct with AC (sometimes as much as double the cost), especially if the entire itinerary consists of AC operated flights. The opposite used to be the case, then the last April's YYZ DO happened (a story for another day).

Also could you comment on the operating carrier and route in question. There might be a way around this depending on how flexible you are with timings and what not.

Safe Travels,

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.