Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2 Class Flights with 3 Class Planes --- Who gets to sit in the 3-class F seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2 Class Flights with 3 Class Planes --- Who gets to sit in the 3-class F seats?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
^ This. Which is also what the thread quoted by WineCountry speaks to. GS get it, and then if room, a lucky 1K or two.

Not able to pre-assigned to others without an award or in some cases reported, an instrument. It seems like these have almost always gone to gate control, outside of GS assignment.
I usually take this flight once or twice a month. Next month the wife and I are coming back from Chicago and are already in paid business, I slapped a couple RPUs on there to get up to the front cabin since I need to burn some. Does this mean I will clear after GS CPUs? I may be misunderstanding.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I usually take this flight once or twice a month. Next month the wife and I are coming back from Chicago and are already in paid business, I slapped a couple RPUs on there to get up to the front cabin since I need to burn some. Does this mean I will clear after GS CPUs? I may be misunderstanding.
No, your applied RPUs mean you would clear before GS CPUs, but after any GS who also applied instruments to either revenue or award tickets.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mozilla
Yes, seems to be the case. Checked some more dates and domestic routes which have the 3-cabin and they're all F0 A0.
This may be driven by the need to be flexible over equipment swaps.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
No, your applied RPUs mean you would clear before GS CPUs, but after any GS who also applied instruments to either revenue or award tickets.
That's what I figured. We're currently #1/2 on the list but I know that can change. I would suspect on such a short flight that not that many people would be willing to burn a RPU but I have so many I need to start using them up (along with my GPUs).
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmhua777
They stopped selling F on this flight a little while ago. It’s a guaranteed upgrade for GS in J, as a result. My upgrades to F usually clear 3-4 days out, even though they won’t sell F.
With CPU or RPU?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Earth shattering update/data point: F is still completely 0ed out (and the cabin is still booked 0/6, but Ive been sitting at #1 on the UG list (CPU) all day. Currently 3 other names which I assume the 4 of us make up the up the balance of those on the J cabin last I looked (J booked to 5 - 1 cleared upgrade = 4 revenue-ish pax)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by schley
With CPU or RPU?
CPU
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Earth shattering update/data point: F is still completely 0ed out (and the cabin is still booked 0/6, but Ive been sitting at #1 on the UG list (CPU) all day. Currently 3 other names which I assume the 4 of us make up the up the balance of those on the J cabin last I looked (J booked to 5 - 1 cleared upgrade = 4 revenue-ish pax)
It appears that no upgrades outside GS clear in advance. The gate clears the rest, but since they don’t offer TODs, 1Ks stand a good chance.

IAH-ORD connects to the Europe bank of flights, so paid J is decent in that direction. ORD-IAH doesn’t connect to much in either direction, so I assume it’s an easy upgrade for Platinum and above.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

It appears that no upgrades outside GS clear in advance. The gate clears the rest, but since they don’t offer TODs, 1Ks stand a good chance.

IAH-ORD connects to the Europe bank of flights, so paid J is decent in that direction. ORD-IAH doesn’t connect to much in either direction, so I assume it’s an easy upgrade for Platinum and above.
I cleared ORD-IAH on a monday afternoon flight last month; My CPU J to F was exactly at the T-96 mark. As a 1K, it was about as easy as it gets.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Assuming they actually run the list, you should be fine. There were some stories elsewhere of the same thing happening on EWR-LHR where they just dumped NRSAs into F and didn't even clear waitlisted GPUs in Y.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Good news :-)

After spending the last 24+ hours as #1 on the UG list about 45 minutes before boarding I cleared into 1A -- for a long time me and 2A were the only seats in the cabin occupied but now all cabins are showing 100% full.

In an amusing turn, I've now had the same FA working the F cabinthree flights in a row (DEN-SMF on Sunday and SMF-IAH/IAH-ORD today)...not sire what to make of that
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

And everything went a little too smoothly... Just for anyone else finding this thread: Watch your PQM/PQS accruals carefully.

I was booked Z-Z-A on the trip for this thread, all domestic, and the 3-class 763 was the middle segment. Today the segments credited. The first and third credited properly (1.5 PQS and 200% PQM) but the middle segment credited as 1 PQS and 100% PQM showing the flight as "ZH" class [vs. simply Z for the other segment].

Emailed the MPSC via 1K voice and got a very quick reply that that segment was upgraded and as such isn't eligible for the 150%/200% credit -- only whatever the original purchase fare earned (duh). I replied that while I was upgraded, "Z" was the purchased fare and to please check the original PNR/ticket I referenced in the first message. Surprisingly the same agent (the first time I didn't feel stupid using the "Hi Ms. (whomever signed the last message)," salutation) replied within 3 minutes apologizing for the error and saying the additional PQM/PQS would be posted as an adjustment.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure 2A and 2C were NRSAs based on some of the conversation, so it appears that they upgraded all 4 revenue J pax to the F cabin, filled the J cabin with upgrades from Y, and then filled the empty seats in F and Y with NRSAs thus avoiding "double upgrading" anyone.

[If this were later in the year, it may not be worth the trouble, but based on the ebbs and flows of my travel and how concerned I am about making the 1K PQM/PQS targets based on where I stand now... every PQM counts]
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The first and third credited properly (1.5 PQS and 200% PQM) but the middle segment credited as 1 PQS and 100% PQM showing the flight as "ZH" class [vs. simply Z for the other segment].
It's distressingly well established that the code for crediting segments does something like "credit the current rbd of the coupon, unless this is a non-earning class, in which case credit 'Z' + [the first letter of the fare basis of the coupon]". Since your fare basis likely started with an H (H-up booking into Z), this happened. Indeed something to watch out for if you ever upgrade J to F on a domestic flight.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Good news :-)

After spending the last 24+ hours as #1 on the UG list about 45 minutes before boarding I cleared into 1A -- for a long time me and 2A were the only seats in the cabin occupied but now all cabins are showing 100% full.

In an amusing turn, I've now had the same FA working the F cabinthree flights in a row (DEN-SMF on Sunday and SMF-IAH/IAH-ORD today)...not sire what to make of that
And everything went a little too smoothly... Just for anyone else finding this thread: Watch your PQM/PQS accruals carefully.

I was booked Z-Z-A on the trip for this thread, all domestic, and the 3-class 763 was the middle segment. Today the segments credited. The first and third credited properly (1.5 PQS and 200% PQM) but the middle segment credited as 1 PQS and 100% PQM showing the flight as "ZH" class [vs. simply Z for the other segment].

Emailed the MPSC via 1K voice and got a very quick reply that that segment was upgraded and as such isn't eligible for the 150%/200% credit -- only whatever the original purchase fare earned (duh). I replied that while I was upgraded, "Z" was the purchased fare and to please check the original PNR/ticket I referenced in the first message. Surprisingly the same agent (the first time I didn't feel stupid using the "Hi Ms. (whomever signed the last message)," salutation) replied within 3 minutes apologizing for the error and saying the additional PQM/PQS would be posted as an adjustment.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure 2A and 2C were NRSAs based on some of the conversation, so it appears that they upgraded all 4 revenue J pax to the F cabin, filled the J cabin with upgrades from Y, and then filled the empty seats in F and Y with NRSAs thus avoiding "double upgrading" anyone.

[If this were later in the year, it may not be worth the trouble, but based on the ebbs and flows of my travel and how concerned I am about making the 1K PQM/PQS targets based on where I stand now... every PQM counts]
YAY! All worked out well, and in UA style, you had to fight for the adjustment, no surprises here!

I hope it was a great flight and you were super comfy, I'll miss those seats!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
2 Class Flights with 3 Class Planes.

Redacted. Question answered.

Last edited by tikchik; Jun 9, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.