Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2 Class Flights with 3 Class Planes --- Who gets to sit in the 3-class F seats?

Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2 Class Flights with 3 Class Planes --- Who gets to sit in the 3-class F seats?

Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
getting into GF?

So I have no status at all w/ United. Next year I'll be travelling on a paid Biz Class (Int'l Polaris for the long haul) flight from IAH-DCA-EWR-BOM. There is a schedule change (it's > 30 mins) and one of the options for re-booking allows me to go IAH-ORD-EWR-BOM. the ORD-EWR portion is on a 777 w/ three classes of service (I realize there could be an aircraft change between now and then) but my question is: is there a way I can be asked to be put in GF for that portion, or can I somehow "buy" into GF for just that portion or is there any other option that I don't know of? It's not a huge deal if the answer is no but I figured this would be the only way I'd experience GF so I might as well at least try. Thanks for any helpful info and safe travels everyone!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
On a domestic flight when you are booked in a business fare class you should be eligible for CPU to first. It might offer a buy-up at check-in as well. UA won't let you upgrade to GF ahead of time since equipment may change.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soxfanndc
is there a way I can be asked to be put in GF for that portion, or can I somehow "buy" into GF for just that portion or is there any other option that I don't know of?
You might be offered a buy-up, either now or at check-in. They've zeroed out F inventory for most three-class first flights, but it may open up at check-in if that flight will actually be operated by a three-class bird.

You could also waitlist a miles + copay upgrade. 15K miles plus a $75 copay if you're on a P or Z fare (waived for D, C, and J).

Originally Posted by cfischer
On a domestic flight when you are booked in a business fare class you should be eligible for CPU to first.
OP has no UA status.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
thanks cfishcher for the prompt reply. I very much appreciate it!!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:10 pm

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
I wass told by agents that they will upgrade GS and highest paid business tickets to United Global First.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mrotenfan
I wass told by agents that they will upgrade GS and highest paid business tickets to United Global First.
For CPU-eligible flights like EWR-ORD, they'd follow the CPU process; by status and then by fare class.
For non-CPU-eligible flights, they won't move anyone into the F seats until they use an upgrade instrument or J is oversold.
wxguy likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by jsloan
For CPU-eligible flights like EWR-ORD, they'd follow the CPU process; by status and then by fare class.
For non-CPU-eligible flights, they won't move anyone into the F seats until they use an upgrade instrument or J is oversold.
This is what I was told by a GS manager.
wxguy likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
So for an international flight (I'm on a 772 TPAC), they'll just have the F cabin go out empty rather than sell 8 more (or less for crew rest) J seats and "upgrade" whoever the most status-y people are? Seems like an odd way to lose revenue.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
So for an international flight (I'm on a 772 TPAC), they'll just have the F cabin go out empty rather than sell 8 more (or less for crew rest) J seats and "upgrade" whoever the most status-y people are? Seems like an odd way to lose revenue.
No, they'll happily oversell the J cabin by 8-ish, and then upgrade passengers due to the oversale. But if they don't sell those extra seats, they will let F go out empty rather than upgrading passengers from J.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
No, they'll happily oversell the J cabin by 8-ish, and then upgrade passengers due to the oversale. But if they don't sell those extra seats, they will let F go out empty rather than upgrading passengers from J.
The sooner the 8 across IPTE cabins are replaced the better for all. I am on UA988 FRA-IAD on Monday and I booked a D class fare. Since all the seats in 'Polaris' are assigned I have no seat assignment. I went online and used 20k miles to request an upgrade but am waitlisted with all 8 seats in GF showing unassigned. So hopefully I get the nod at checkin. That is of course if I get out go of EWR to Brussels tonight - seems like a weather front and the advance winds of 'Michael' are doing a number at EWR!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by adambrau
The sooner the 8 across IPTE cabins are replaced the better for all.
True. I'd flip it this way - the sooner UA can get all of the cabins of each model of plane consistent the better. I just got flipped out of the old 772 into the new one, with PE for the first few rows, making a mess of seat assignments.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
But if they don't sell those extra seats, they will let F go out empty rather than upgrading passengers from J.
They will get some happy Non-Revs to fill those F seats. On my flights, I could easily identify 4 to 6 of them. There will be less happiness for the Non-Revs once the F seats disappear and, most probably, due to the increased number of J seats a better chance for upgrades for Economy Passengers with upgrade instruments.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Recently on a 3 class 777-200 I got my GPU upgrade of W fare at 36 hrs before flight but only middle seats left. At ORD Polaris lounge I asked about buying an upgrade to F. I figured free to ask. Anyhow, I was offered $600 and 30K miles. I would have done it but the computer would not let them take my money. F was empty. The nice Polaris lounge person called the gate and asked them to get me an aisle seat if it became available. So at gate someone got upgraded to F and I got their aisle seat. I was satisfied with the outcome.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by u600213
Recently on a 3 class 777-200 I got my GPU upgrade of W fare at 36 hrs before flight but only middle seats left. At ORD Polaris lounge I asked about buying an upgrade to F. I figured free to ask. Anyhow, I was offered $600 and 30K miles. I would have done it but the computer would not let them take my money. F was empty. The nice Polaris lounge person called the gate and asked them to get me an aisle seat if it became available. So at gate someone got upgraded to F and I got their aisle seat. I was satisfied with the outcome.
Last time I did a double upgrade, to fool the computer, the agent had to do the double upgrade the other way around: first the buy-up, then the mileage/instrument upgrade. This was because the buy-up can go into a revenue bucket in business (usually P) and the computer can mistake it for a paid business fare whereas an upgrade will be in R and the computer will know it is an upgrade and won't stack a buy-up on top of it. It worked for me in the past anyway-- I don't know if they have since tightened things up.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by u600213
Recently on a 3 class 777-200 I got my GPU upgrade of W fare at 36 hrs before flight but only middle seats left. At ORD Polaris lounge I asked about buying an upgrade to F. I figured free to ask. Anyhow, I was offered $600 and 30K miles. I would have done it but the computer would not let them take my money....
A double upgrade is a no go.

Originally Posted by Ari
Last time I did a double upgrade, to fool the computer, the agent had to do the double upgrade the other way around: first the buy-up, then the mileage/instrument upgrade. ....
A cash upgrade and a supported upgrade has not traditionally been considered a disqualifying double upgrade. Cash upgrades on award upgrades are regularly offered by UA.

The cash upgrade first, booking into the award fare class was likely the source of the problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.