Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
So it's a month after this was initially reported. We heard from someone weeks ago, who has connections with the inside, that United was aware they broke this and it was an accident and they're going to fix it. Who believes this will actually be fixed to bring back the transparency and functionality we had before?

-RM
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
4D is available. And standby screen shows First available. No information on upgrade screen in App
Interesting. I saw something similar but didn't see an FT thread at the time.

Last week on SFO -> DEN wife got upgraded at T-96 and mine cleared at T-90ish, both 1K. We didn't appear on the upgrade list at all, and not at T-24 either - thought this strange.

What seemed more strange was that the upgrade list itself never really seemed to populate.

Four folks popped up onto it (2 non-rev by the looks) and they all cleared. There were a fair few E+ seats free (~20 or so) but the rest of bus was full, yet no-one appeared on the upgrade wait list.

Flight went out with Cap 20/Booked 19/Checked In 19 - with an empty 2B.

Seemed strange that nobody else would have been eligible for a CPU? I was pondering if this could be a result of N fares, but I'm more intrigued given this thread.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrBB
Seemed strange that nobody else would have been eligible for a CPU? I was pondering if this could be a result of N fares, but I'm more intrigued given this thread.
There are lots of reasons why those in E+ not might be eligible for upgrades. Those booked in N could be one (though I really wish UA had a better process to move or at least offer E+ to those paying higher fares so N doesn’t get to sit in E+, thereby convincing them to buy rock-bottom again next time to get E+, but that is a topic for another thread). Others are those an award tickets, groups/families booked together that are uninterested in splitting up to get on the gate list, buy ups, etc. usually it’s not whole E+ cabin, and usually not on hub to hub, but perhaps on a low demand business day, with more leisure bookings this could happen.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Who believes this will actually be fixed to bring back the transparency and functionality we had before?
The same person who believes they are looking into a way to bring back ch9 to the Airbus fleet?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Must be a bug, because app is showing waitlist for various flights.

The waitlist disappears after the flight closes and at that point only the upgraded folks names are shown.
Def a bug. Waitlists are showing up for me on my flights today for those who have checked in.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DrBB
Some very frequent reasons: elites on award tickets (and no UA CC), Plat/1K/GS traveling with two or more non-status companions, non-status pax who paid for E+, and non-status pax who were auto-assigned E+ on the day of departure.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I just noticed something on the upgrade list while waiting for 2 flights today. Both of them had tons of space (open all the way down to K9) and I had SDC'd into the flights and was on the upgrade list. There were also a few other elites on the upgrade list and we all eventually cleared leaving several seats to be filled with pax that were on the standby list & upgrade list (presumably non-revs since there was plenty of space for anyone to SDC onto the flight).

I noticed that once the standby pax cleared into a FC seat onto the flight, they disappeared from the standby list and only showed up as a cleared upgrade (like a normal pax). If I remember correctly, under the old display a standby pax that cleared into first would appear on both lists with their seat assignment and a checkmark.

If one was not watching the upgrade and standby lists throughout the lead up to the flight, you would not know that a non-rev scored the upgrade. Maybe this is by design and part of the new "less than transparent" displaying of the cleared upgrade process? I wonder if this is happening on international non-rev upgrades also. United may be trying to make these non-rev upgrades less visible to the paying customers?

Of course the only people that would really notice this type of thing is someone on FT. Everyone else is usually oblivious to the process.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I just noticed something on the upgrade list while waiting for 2 flights today. Both of them had tons of space (open all the way down to K9) and I had SDC'd into the flights and was on the upgrade list. There were also a few other elites on the upgrade list and we all eventually cleared leaving several seats to be filled with pax that were on the standby list & upgrade list (presumably non-revs since there was plenty of space for anyone to SDC onto the flight).

I noticed that once the standby pax cleared into a FC seat onto the flight, they disappeared from the standby list and only showed up as a cleared upgrade (like a normal pax). If I remember correctly, under the old display a standby pax that cleared into first would appear on both lists with their seat assignment and a checkmark.

If one was not watching the upgrade and standby lists throughout the lead up to the flight, you would not know that a non-rev scored the upgrade. Maybe this is by design and part of the new "less than transparent" displaying of the cleared upgrade process? I wonder if this is happening on international non-rev upgrades also. United may be trying to make these non-rev upgrades less visible to the paying customers?

Of course the only people that would really notice this type of thing is someone on FT. Everyone else is usually oblivious to the process.
Actually that's not correct. If a non-rev is on both the standby and the first class waitlist and they clear into first class their name is removed from the standby list. Only those that clear into a coach seat will remain on the flight standby list with a checkmark next to their name and the coach seat that they've been assigned.

-RM
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Actually that's not correct. If a non-rev is on both the standby and the first class waitlist and they clear into first class their name is removed from the standby list. Only those that clear into a coach seat will remain on the flight standby list with a checkmark next to their name and the coach seat that they've been assigned.

-RM
My bad, I thought it was different. I guess I never noticed that before.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Domestic Upgrades - Not Showing On Upgrade List?

I have cleared to 1st on 5 of my last 7 flights the past 1.5 weeks. Each time, the app (and airport monitors) showed a full 1st Cabin with no upgrades. The most recent example was my flight today (PHX - LAX).

On the 2 flights I haven't cleared, no upgrades have shown in the app (and airport monitor). I find it hard to believe that a Sun LAX - ORD flight didn't have a single upgrade with 24 seats.

Has anyone else seen this? I overheard a guy in Group 1 line today complaining how "no one was upgraded" ......... but I had received an upgrade and it didn't show. Any idea why this is happening now? I hope this isn't a new United "upgrade" I will hate.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2018 at 4:10 pm Reason: move to exisiting thread
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Sorry WineCountryUA ....... I missed this entire thread somehow. My apologies for starting a new thread - search failed me.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am a bit slow, and was wondering something did not look right in the past a few weeks. Now I know it was not just me.

I had two upgrades cleared to Global First last week, and one domestic upgrade cleared and each time I was never showed up on the App and did not even get an email when cleared. I only found out when I tried to check in online and couldn't. I called and they had tickets reissued.

Same with applying RPUs for family members. Never showed but cleared.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 15, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am a bit slow, and was wondering something did not look right in the past a few week. Now I know it was not just me.

I had two upgrades cleared to Global First last week, and one domestic upgrade cleared and each time I was never showed up on the App and did not even get an email when cleared. I only found out when I tried to check in online and couldn't. I called and they had tickets reissued.

Same with applying RPUs for family members. Never showed but cleared.
OK, never even tried for GF, but in all those years I almost never showed up on list as u/g to Biz. FWIW, flew a couple of weeks ago back to YYJ, and showed up on u/g list both times - original flight an SDC. Yes, few elites fly on the 4th

Oh, that would be the flight to SFO, SFO-YYJ on the Devil's Chariot is of course all J
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
OK, never even tried for GF, but in all those years I almost never showed up on list as u/g to Biz. ..
That was always true for non-CPU routines since the merger if you cleared prior to the gate. There has always been a CPU flight and non-CPU flight behavior. But what is happen now is closer to the non-CPU flight model for all flights.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Here are two data points: Both CPU/RPU cleared at T-23:50, one checked-in at T-24 (the name and seat number appeared on App), and the other checked-in at T-5. No name/seat number appeared on App for the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.