Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
If UA were able to tell you that at T-1 you are #7 on the list, which in my suggestion, would include everyone who is eligible, and there are 3 seats left, why do you really even need to know that 5 others have already cleared ahead of time?
You're still making a false comparison.

I don't have that option. If UA would show that, and the price was giving up the cleared list, I'd probably take it. However, saying "it's OK that they took away feature A, because feature B would be better anyway," isn't useful when feature B doesn't exist. It's akin to saying, "who cares if you never get a CPU? Wouldn't it be better if UA had an all lie-flat cabin in coach anyway?"
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I wonder if UA has done away with the "jump the queue" capability. You're waitlisted with a GPU on an international flight and you're number 4 on the list on a full flight. You keep refreshing the seat chart before boarding and you see a seat open up. You could then just call the 1k line and have them assign you the seat with your GPU right then. (Not admitting I've done this, of course.) That shouldn't be possible, but it was at least a couple years ago, when I last "saw" that process work.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I wonder if UA has done away with the "jump the queue" capability. You're waitlisted with a GPU on an international flight and you're number 4 on the list on a full flight. You keep refreshing the seat chart before boarding and you see a seat open up. You could then just call the 1k line and have them assign you the seat with your GPU right then. (Not admitting I've done this, of course.) That shouldn't be possible, but it was at least a couple years ago, when I last "saw" that process work.
There's another thread on this. R space still occasionally opens without pending upgrades being processed.

ETA: I suppose only time will tell if that has stopped as of the rollout of this change.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
There's another thread on this. R space still occasionally opens without pending upgrades being processed.

ETA: I suppose only time will tell if that has stopped as of the rollout of this change.
It seems dubious that this change is related to the R opening / upgrades clearing issue, but indeed time will tell.

edit add:

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I have tested multiple flights throughout the system and intentionally selected flight where one would expect upgrades to be cleared. Not one flight showed a cleared upgrade on the app outside of T-24 (it is possible that a cleared upgrade is invisible and included in the Booked total.) What is really troubling is that on several flights that I looked at, at T-25-48, there were still many FC available seats for sale on flights that typically have 50+% of FC upgraded.........meaning that upgrades are being held back.......maybe all the way to T-24. If this is what we have to look forward to, this has the potential of being one of the worst moves ever by UA.

The other item of note is all of my frequented airports disappeared form my Search for Flights tab on the Flight status portion of the app. Instead 11 airport that I have never traveled to showed up. Most of the airports aren't even serviced by UA
Same here. I didn't recognize most of their airports and all my frequented airports were gone. I had to delete them all and start over. That said, since you can't delete individual cities, I now have the cities I'm traveling to the most at the top of the list (which was very long before).
I think this is a fun learning opportunity. I had no idea there was an airport at Kota Kinabalu. Now I want to go. It's like a challenge.

Last edited by fumje; Jun 8, 2018 at 2:24 pm
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Looks like another deliberate middle finger from Kirby without any possible rhyme or reason or benefit to United. Delta still has a fully functional and transparent upgrade list ... and AS the last time I checked.
The AS list acts a little different from the UA list - I've been switching and haven't quite sorted out all the behaviors yet. It seems to remove people from the list once they're upgraded and checked in (or something like that). I've had several upgrades since I've been flying as an AS MVP and I don't think I've ever showed on the list after the upgrade. I was on a VX flight where the guy sitting next to me in MCS/premium had been upgraded and didn't know it, so when someone else came and claimed the same seat and the FA called the first one to take his stuff and bring it to the front we were able to see from the app that he'd been upgraded and not offloaded.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No; if it's open for SDC, it's because RM doesn't think they'll sell the Y seat, and if the person successfully CPUs, they failed to sell the F seat too.
Right, but United doesn't offer SDC out of the goodness of its heart. United offers SDC because it banks on more people wanting to leave sooner rather than later, which gives United more time to sell seats. The more people try to leave later in order to score free upgrades, the more United loses in terms of revenue and the more United is inviting problems upon itself. (If a person SDCs at T-1 to score an upgrade and then the later flight goes IRROPS, United could lose money in all sorts of ways.)

Even DL, who started the monetization trend, has stated their goal is to sell 80% of the front cabin. As long as any one carrier still provides status-based upgrades, they'll all need to do it...
Maybe, maybe not. This seems like a situation where no carrier wants to be the first mover when it comes to eliminating free upgrades, but that's probably mostly for p.r. reasons. For all of the complaining in these airline forums, only a small percentage of people are jumping from one airline to another. The average road warrior doesn't have much of a choice when it comes to airlines.

Regardless, even at 80% monetization, upgrades would all but disappear for just about anyone under the top level or two of status.

Not really. Fully monetizing F and J is a fool's errand in the US market. Keep in mind that the most expensive Y tickets on a flight are often 5x more expensive than the cheapest F tickets. Airlines will run themselves into the ground trying to sell $300 F tickets and leaving no place for the passenger on a $1500 Y ticket to sit up front. United is making money giving out upgrades, even if their current management seems to lose sight of that sometimes.
Why would anyone buy a $1,500 Y ticket when they could buy an F ticket for $300? Anyone still doing this is throwing money away. Such a person could literally throw away three such F tickets per trip and still come out ahead.

Regardless, if there are still people out there buying tickets like this, the airlines can easily accommodate them in a no-CPU system by redefining the fare class. In a system that values revenue over all else, it makes no sense that a person who paid $1,500 could be sitting in E or E+ while someone who scored a cheap P fare is up front. (If there are 200+ pax on a flight and a person paid the highest fare, is it really an "upgrade" to be in one of the F or J seats? I'd argue that it isn't.)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
I am so excited about my, soon to be, NEW learning experience. Not knowing what crap I was going to get to choose for my dinner for the past year, and and kept in the dark the entire time, without even ONE leak about what was happening in the kitchen, puts our government to shame. Now, not having the foggiest idea, or clue, where I might be sitting until the door shuts is simply sooooooooooooooooooo considerate & way too generous!

No biggie, I can still purchase wifi on board to read the paper, after the double chime!

Seriously, do these people stay up all night thinking up ways to pi$$ off their TOP ELITES???
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wonder if UA has done away with the "jump the queue" capability.
They have within the past year or two implemented a rule that agents are not supposed to clear instruments within (approximately) two hours of departure. That is intended to prevent queue jumping. They previously limited the ability to queue jump by making it impossible to apply an instrument online inside of T-24.

But they have not addressed the fundamental problem (see below).

They will not be able to fix the system problem without a major upgrade to SHARES (or adoption of a new reservation system). The fundamental problem is that lists don't process dynamically in SHARES.

If anything, we have witnessed a substantial uptick in waitlist problems over the past month or so (both failure of upgrade requests and failure of the list to process after R opens). We seem to be moving back to where we were five years ago, right after the merger, when babysitting your waitlisted upgrade was absolutely mandatory.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have had three GPUs clear in the last few weeks, two in advance and one at the gate. And I have had two CPUs clear in the past two days, both at the 1K window. So I don’t think the upgrade process is broken for me. I am actually rather deligjted. I am having the best luck I have had since being a GS.

Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I have had three GPUs clear in the last few weeks, two in advance and one at the gate. And I have had two CPUs clear in the past two days, both at the 1K window. So I don’t think the upgrade process is broken for me. I am actually rather deligjted. I am having the best luck I have had since being a GS.
My last two waitlisted instruments, applied online, have not applied correctly. The first did not clear when the flight went R2, and I had to call. Which turned into something of an ordeal. The second waitlisted flight is still R0, but based on this recent experience, as well as reports in this forum, I believe there's a good chance I'll have to call on that one, too (assuming it goes R positive).

I follow the forum pretty closely, and there has been a notable uptick in reported problems both on the waitlisting end and the clearing end.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I just got bit by this when pass riding. I made plans not knowing the new format, and ended up sitting in E-, when I could've been in the front cabin had I taken another routing.

Not a happy camper at this unannounced change.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I will have a data point later today. Upcoming flight is booked 7/16 in FC. On similar flights at T-120 (GS CPU window opening) with 9 seats available for sale I have always received an upgrade. I'll report system behavior at the T-120 mark.
At T-120 upgrade went through. Received email notification. Booked FC went from 7 to 8. My name is not on the upgrade list. My GS wife on a separate reservation did not get upgraded. Come on.....holding back 50% of 16 seat FC.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Right, but United doesn't offer SDC out of the goodness of its heart. United offers SDC because it banks on more people wanting to leave sooner rather than later, which gives United more time to sell seats. The more people try to leave later in order to score free upgrades, the more United loses in terms of revenue and the more United is inviting problems upon itself. (If a person SDCs at T-1 to score an upgrade and then the later flight goes IRROPS, United could lose money in all sorts of ways.)
Sorry, no, but you’re inventing problems here. They allow SDC into seats that RM doesn’t think they’ll be able to sell. If they think they can sell those seats, they won’t open discount SDC inventory; simple as that. And they’ve got a pretty good idea what they can sell, especially within 24 hours of departure.

You’re also discounting any TODs they sell after someone SDCs out of first into Y; that happens too. UA holds the cards here, they write the policies, and I really don’t think they’re losing money on SDCs.

Maybe, maybe not. This seems like a situation where no carrier wants to be the first mover when it comes to eliminating free upgrades, but that's probably mostly for p.r. reasons. For all of the complaining in these airline forums, only a small percentage of people are jumping from one airline to another. The average road warrior doesn't have much of a choice when it comes to airlines.
The average road warrior has a lot more choice than people give them credit for. Not everyone travels hub-to-hub.

Regardless, even at 80% monetization, upgrades would all but disappear for just about anyone under the top level or two of status.
It’ll be even more route- and date-specific than it is now, but I certainly agree with this overall.

Why would anyone buy a $1,500 Y ticket when they could buy an F ticket for $300? Anyone still doing this is throwing money away. Such a person could literally throw away three such F tickets per trip and still come out ahead.
They’re not. They’re buying a $1,500 Y ticket when the F ticket is $1,600. The people purchasing $300 F tickets are either doing it well in advance, or they’re doing it by pairing a $200 ticket with a $100 TOD. The passengers buying $1,500 tickets are buying full Y, either per policy (no change fees) or because it’s all that’s left.

Regardless, if there are still people out there buying tickets like this, the airlines can easily accommodate them in a no-CPU system by redefining the fare class. In a system that values revenue over all else, it makes no sense that a person who paid $1,500 could be sitting in E or E+ while someone who scored a cheap P fare is up front. (If there are 200+ pax on a flight and a person paid the highest fare, is it really an "upgrade" to be in one of the F or J seats? I'd argue that it isn't.)
Well, you can’t tell the person in the P fare to go to the back of the bus. That way lies madness. But if you sell too many $300 seats — especially as $200 + $100 TOD — you risk the business of the guy buying the $1,500 Y tickets.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:01 pm

But if you sell too many $300 seats — especially as $200 + $100 TOD — you risk the business of the guy buying the $1,500 Y tickets.
Exactly. I don't think UA realizes how off-putting it is to buy an expensive refundable fare and watch the F cabin fill with purchases of P fares that cost considerably less.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
jsloan — You obviously know far more about this topic than I do. I just know that, as a business owner, I don't make changes just for the sake of making changes, and when I do make changes, it's because I believe they'll cut costs and/or increase revenue. Assuming these changes by United weren't unintended, it seems like there's a cost/revenue motive somewhere.

I agree that United isn't losing money from SDC, but as with anything, the longer something exists, the more people find a way to exploit it. If United is trying to be less transparent with SDC and/or upgrades, perhaps they're responding to some trend they've noticed. All else aside, I assume you agree United has a better chance of selling a seat and/or upgrade at T-6 or T-3 than at T-1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.