Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural 737 Max 9 Flight 7 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes I've had this on several of the newer Skywest/DL E175s and don't like it at all. I assume it's weight savings? I would avoid the last row of F on these aircraft. (Actually I would avoid these aircraft in general due to the ridiculous lavs, but that's a different point.)
The partial dividers (I've heard them called windscreens) weigh significantly less than a full wall. I think they require a few inches less clearance on either side.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Kacee
That could be. Of course, they could accomplish the same with adequate spacing, but that would impair the ability to squeeze another row of 30" pitch Y into the aircraft.
I too do not buy the "slimline seats offer more space" farce but who am I to question the Sky Gods in Willis Tower... Still, I thought the cabin refresh on the airbuses looked pretty sharp with the UA branding and new seats; and I actually like the new seats: I find them to be very functional for my needs. It's my own irrational booking preference that I prefer the last row of F, but the lack of a bulkhead might change that.

I remember when AA decided to put stickers over the old US logo on their planes' bulkheads and often times it was slightly askew and it just looked so cheap. Not sure which is worse, no bulkhead or bulkhead with a cock-eyed sticker...

To be fair, I'll reserve further judgment until I'm BIS in a "Max", which I've not had the "pleasure" of flying on with AA or UA...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Anyway to tell ahead of time if a flight is operated by the -9 Max? I'm booked on UA1759 IAH-AUS on 6/23. It's listed as one of the first routes, but there's no way to distinguish it on UA's website it seems.
Google Flights will identify UA MAX 9 flights by marking them with an "In-seat power outlet" note when doing a search for economy. The MAX 9 is the only 737 in UA's fleet with power at all seats.

Of course, narrowbody subtype assignments have long been fluid, so I'd take this with a grain of salt when booking far in advance. For 6/23, UA1759 is currently scheduled to be a MAX 9, though, and that's close enough that I expect that to hold unless they find MX issues between now and then.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
There are two reasons that I usually choose an E+ bulk head. 1) There is usually a wall that prevents the seat ahead from reclining into my space. 2) Even with a wall on many UA aircraft there is space under the wall to put a small carry on.

With the "wind screen" between first and coach, the recline advantage is gone.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The mini-partition and full recline beats a limited recline in 5EF just for the sake of having a hard bulkhead.<br /><br />I can't find much fault in the 7M9 configuration at UA. The company didn't use it as an opportunity to offer an even denser product than is already in service (like AA), and it has more E+ seats than many of its -900ER sister ships. The slimlavs are the same as those already in -900ERs, so nothing new there either. On the flip side, I find the new F seats much better than the really, really cheap, flimsy F seats of the -900ER fleet, and the new Y seat design is supposed to 'feel wider' than the older model. On balance, I think it's going to be a marginally better experience than the current 737s, and when was the last time we could say that about a new type, across the board?
EmailKid and CHOPCHOP767 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Oh great, another 737-1,000,000,000 model.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by zoegksf
Oh great, another 737-1,000,000,000 model.
Exactly, just another iteration of a 50 year old design. Pullies and cables, no fly by wire and cramped. Do these still tip on their tails like the 900's?

But hey, it has a wiggly line outside.....
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Google Flights will identify UA MAX 9 flights by marking them with an "In-seat power outlet" note when doing a search for economy. The MAX 9 is the only 737 in UA's fleet with power at all seats.
That is definitely not correct. The airbus for sure only have power in F/E+, and according to UA.com, the 73G and 738 are E+ only. I thought there might have been some old 739s with only power in E+, but according to the seat maps on UAs website (fleet page), all the 739s have power throughout. Admittedly, not familiar with how Google marks them, though.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by cplush
.... wifi was the best ive ever had on a flight.
I believe that's down to replacing the Panasonic system with Via Sat.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
5AB? They haven't removed the a row of F, have they?

I thought I'd read somewhere that the wall was removed so that the last row of F could have full recline. If that's not the case, it's an unmitigated downgrade. But even if it is the case, on balance it's worse.
We aren’t talking about lie-flat recline, so while it’s a bit annoying that the last row doesn’t decline as much as the other rows in F, I’d much rather have 1* less recline with a solid wall separating me from the first row of Y doing any of the following:
-grabbing my seat back to stand up
-fiddling around with shoving stuff in the seat back pocket
-shoving a carryon under my seat that somehow manages to protrude into my leg space
-sticking a foot up against the open space between seats/armrest

And the other thing I’ve noticed on flight that have a hard partition vs mudflaps is that there seems to be an increased parade to/from the front lav. Since there is no curtain it really does little to reinforce the fact that F/Y are anything more than just a “big front seat”......but then again UA seems to be headed in that direction anyways.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

That is definitely not correct. The airbus for sure only have power in F/E+, and according to UA.com, the 73G and 738 are E+ only. I thought there might have been some old 739s with only power in E+, but according to the seat maps on UAs website (fleet page), all the 739s have power throughout. Admittedly, not familiar with how Google marks them, though.
Interesting. Good to know. I definitely compared 739 vs MAX 9, but I suppose it’s possible that there’s a difference between the 737-900 and 737-900ER, or some other sub fleet difference that happened to be consistent for me.

So, scratch that, and just depend upon UA not to swap metal, I guess.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

So, scratch that, and just depend upon UA not to swap metal, I guess.
There's a reason they renumbered the fleet to 7 for bulkhead and 21 for reclining exit row @:-)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
There's a reason they renumbered the fleet to 7 for bulkhead and 21 for reclining exit row @:-)
yeah, but that doesn’t help when theyve got a plane on a full flight mapped out for a 737 with 159 seats in economy, but the plane that shows up only has 142 in economy (or whatever the older config did). Seriously...took an extra hour delay in ORD once because they had everything fully booked, but there were no actual seats for the people who were assigned row 14, 15 and 39 because they didn’t exist. Weird thing is, I remember checking at the time and the app showed the inbound with the correct tail
number and seat map, while our flight showed the larger seat map. To boot, they only found out about this while boarding - because people were literally boarded and got on the plane and their rows didn’t exist.

So commonality for economy starting at 7, exit row 20, etc. doesn’t help with that.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Do these still tip on their tails like the 900's?
They do if they're unloaded improperly, but, hey, there are lots of improper ways to operate an aircraft.

Landing a 737-700 on its nose gear is one of my 'favorite'. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rdia/30736777/
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
My response to this is basically "yawn" followed by UGH when it comes to the bathrooms, which are unusable for things like washing your face, or brushing your teeth, all things that I like to do on longer flights, or where I have not been able to go to the lounge before the flight. The reports that they went with the full slimmed restroom in F is not surprising for UA, but really destroys the experience in F. New A/C are not supposed to be less comfortable, but it is United who continues its race to the bottom.

I contrast this with flying on the A321neo, which is a great airplane. Spacious, bathrooms are much better, and its wide and airy compared to the 7-narrow-7. Bottom line is that Boeing A/C at this point are inferior from a passenger comfort standpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.