Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Gate C130V (UX Virtual gate/remote stand) unpleasant surprise & bus to terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Gate C130V (UX Virtual gate/remote stand) unpleasant surprise & bus to terminal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS & 3MM, HHONORS Diamond

Landed in EWR this morning on a United Express flight from BWI and instead of arriving at the usual Terminal A, we arrived at a virtual gate - C130V. There was confusion about all the gate-tagged luggage and 2 buses were made available to take us to Terminal C. First bus was for people without gate-tagged luggage. Second bus was for those waiting and waiting.

Is is this a new procedure for some United Express flights? It's too bad since one of the few pluses of EWR is the avoidance of mandatory buses from the plane.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by nntman
Landed in EWR this morning on a United Express flight from BWI and instead of arriving at the usual Terminal A, we arrived at a virtual gate - C130V. There was confusion about all the gate-tagged luggage and 2 buses were made available to take us to Terminal C. First bus was for people without gate-tagged luggage. Second bus was for those waiting and waiting.

Is is this a new procedure for some United Express flights? It's too bad since one of the few pluses of EWR is the avoidance of mandatory buses from the plane.
Not anymore... there have been a handful of ERJ parking positions west of Terminal C for about a year now, mostly used by CommutAir flights. Buses go to gate 130, up the jetbridge. A pretty undesirable operation that’s a consequence of additional mainline/large RJ flights that reduce the number of contact gates available at EWR.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I experienced the same flying back JAX-EWR and arriving at Gate C132Y. Not a fan.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764

Not anymore... there have been a handful of ERJ parking positions west of Terminal C for about a year now, mostly used by CommutAir flights. Buses go to gate 130, up the jetbridge. A pretty undesirable operation that’s a consequence of additional mainline/large RJ flights that reduce the number of contact gates available at EWR.
I’d still prefer that to going into Terminal B ... that’s like United no-man’s land.

The 130 gate used to be where the Dash-8’s was delayed... I mean... boarded. Now we’re putting ERJ’s there. Fun times.

Could be worse I guess - could be a barbiejet.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Last couple experiences with gate 130 arrivals have had the bus discharge passengers at the transfer gate (C71), rather than actually arriving at 130.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
In PMCO days, and before the construction of the gates 120-138 wing,, all Continental Express Flights were virtual gates with buses from a COEX area beyond 120-138.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I guess that means that passengers must be prepared to plan for a longer connection time if there's a risk that their UAX plane does not get to a gate at the Terminal. Or am I wrong?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I guess that means that passengers must be prepared to plan for a longer connection time if there's a risk that their UAX plane does not get to a gate at the Terminal. Or am I wrong?
Not really.. a C bus gate isn't going to be any slower for connecting to mainline than an A arrival.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The arrival time is calculated as arrival at the terminal. That's why some block times look longer. Same thing on departure. Boarding starts when you board the bus.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Not really.. a C bus gate isn't going to be any slower for connecting to mainline than an A arrival.
Originally Posted by Often1
The arrival time is calculated as arrival at the terminal. That's why some block times look longer. Same thing on departure. Boarding starts when you board the bus.
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I guess I worried for nothing. I hate having to run in the Terminals....
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Could be worse I guess - could be a barbiejet.
I always thought the erjs were the barbie jets... which ones are they? I tried googling, but you can imagine what my results were ; )
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
CRJ200 is the one. EWR does not have this type of aircraft.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
At least UA is only parking regional jets, which have fewer passengers, at the remote stands. At LAX, I was on an Air New Zealand flight on a 77W that parked a remote stand and all 300+ passengers had to take a bus to the terminal - just imagine how long that took. As others have posted,it could be worse.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Commutair used 130 bus gates for much of their Dash 8 operation. And now using them for some of their ERJ145 ops. Bus departs from C130 when boardogb and arrives at C71. Block times are not necessarily padded to include bus transit times (flights from A or C130 still have similar block times).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala

I always thought the erjs were the barbie jets... which ones are they? I tried googling, but you can imagine what my results were ; )
Originally Posted by Kmxu
CRJ200 is the one. EWR does not have this type of aircraft.
As a former CO flyer, the first time I ever heard the phrase "Barbie jet" was definitely in reference to the ERJ-145, as ExpressJet didn't have any CRJ-200s. At the time, I hated the ERJ, due to its lack of a first class cabin, and I dreaded the day that Continental Express service would come to Austin. Little did I know that (a) Embraer would eventually produce a really comfortable jet, and (b) it could have been so much worse.

Originally Posted by Austin787
At least UA is only parking regional jets, which have fewer passengers, at the remote stands. At LAX, I was on an Air New Zealand flight on a 77W that parked a remote stand and all 300+ passengers had to take a bus to the terminal - just imagine how long that took. As others have posted,it could be worse.
Seemingly half of BKK is boarded and/or deplaned at remote stands. I don't remember if the A380 or 747s I've flown were remote, but I've definitely boarded 773/77Ws remotely. (And I do mean remote, too -- it can easily be close to a mile from the gate to some of the furthest stands).
lincolnjkc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.