Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have also found $120 to $160 is the norm to BRU/AMS, but "only" 89E if the origin is BRU or AMS. Makes me want to book my EU trips "backwards".
Old May 30, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Seating

Curious to know if any UA premier members, have ended up in economy plus rather than economy on BE TATL fares, looking for your personal experience
Old May 31, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
When do you actually get your seat assignment

When does a UA Premier member get a seat assignment with a BE TATL Fare?

I can’t seem to find this information I know it says prior to boarding, could be as early at the T 24 Mark when you check-in or only at the gate?

curious to know..
Old May 31, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I can’t seem to find this information I know it says prior to boarding, could be as early at the T 24 Mark when you check-in or only at the gate?
Could be a couple of days prior to departure; could be at T-24; could be at the gate. I don't know that there's any way to predict which.
zeer0 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:34 pm

Could be a couple of days prior to departure; could be at T-24; could be at the gate. I don't know that there's any way to predict which.
Thanks, what do you base that information from? I haven’t seen anyone posting their experience…
Old May 31, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, what do you base that information from? I haven’t seen anyone posting their experience…
Experiences posted to this thread as well as the domestic BE thread.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:05 pm

Experiences posted to this thread as well as the domestic BE thread.
Thanks, with so many posts to this thread I didn’t see any..
jsloan likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:04 pm

Curious to know if any UA premier members, have ended up in economy plus rather than economy on BE TATL fares, looking for your personal experience
I did. Was lucky enough to get assigned an E+ aisle seat ORD-LHR and emergency exit aisle seat for LHR-ORD. Gold here. At T-24. Also there were open seats in E- when my seat was assigned.
karenkay and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i booked on expedia--UA ticket numbers--a basic economy TATL trip where the bulk of the trip is on LH, but the first and last legs are on UA.

i'll get my lifetime gold free checked bag on the outbound, but my return has me checking in at a lufthansa counter. does the 'one free 23kg checked bag for *G' still apply in 2019? if i'm reading the lufthansa website correctly, it doesn't...any recent experiences?

whoops, i take it back. depends where you look on the website...the verbiage is still there. "When booking the Economy Light fare, a fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members. As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge."

soooo...is economy light the same thing as BE in this case (UA TATL basic economy ticket?)

Last edited by karenkay; Jun 1, 2019 at 6:52 am
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by karenkay
i booked on expedia--UA ticket numbers--a basic economy TATL trip where the bulk of the trip is on LH, but the first and last legs are on UA.

i'll get my lifetime gold free checked bag on the outbound, but my return has me checking in at a lufthansa counter. does the 'one free 23kg checked bag for *G' still apply in 2019? if i'm reading the lufthansa website correctly, it doesn't...any recent experiences?

whoops, i take it back. depends where you look on the website...the verbiage is still there. "When booking the Economy Light fare, a fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members. As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge."

soooo...is economy light the same thing as BE in this case (UA TATL basic economy ticket?)
yep, you got it right. LH still allows a bag for now on TATL BE fares. Eco light as the same as BE
karenkay likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
W class = BE?

When does W class become Basic Economy?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
When does W class become Basic Economy?
TATL BE included W fares from the beginning, but fares originating in the US were excluded. They silently dropped that restriction sometime in the intervening months.

So, yes, it's possible to buy a W fare that you can't upgrade with a GPU.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
TATL BE included W fares from the beginning, but fares originating in the US were excluded. They silently dropped that restriction sometime in the intervening months.

So, yes, it's possible to buy a W fare that you can't upgrade with a GPU.
Does TATL BE include V class too? I saw that.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Does TATL BE include V class too? I saw that.
This is the first report I've seen of BE V fares, but... yes. In fact, BOS-FCO has BE Q fares also. The cheapest economy fare bucket on that route that's untarnished by BE is H (!).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is the first report I've seen of BE V fares, but... yes. In fact, BOS-FCO has BE Q fares also. The cheapest economy fare bucket on that route that's untarnished by BE is H (!).
yuck! What's next ... Business Basic coming .... P and Z-class going basic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.