Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Quick questions about "Basic Economy" fare...

1) Is it true "Basic Economy" fare between N.A. and Europe earns 0 miles. But N.A. to Asia (for example) is always "Economy", hence you can earn miles?

2) Say if I booked a "Basic Economy" (shown as K fare) from N.A. to Europe, will I still earn status miles at A3 FFP*?
* Maybe this is somewhat similar to AC metal issue? People were reporting even they booked a fare that suppose to earn miles, but because it is the cheapest fare, AC reports a different fare class to their FFP hence ended up with 0% mile.

And A3 FFP site didn't make it too clear either
Deep Discount Economy W, S, T, L, K, G 50%
Basic economy (Only award miles are applicable. Tier mileage accrual is not permitted.) N 50%

But as I said on UA website when I try to book a NA<->Europe it is shown as "Basic Economy" (K).... So...

Sorry, I haven't flown UA to Europe before and I am avoiding AC for now, and I can't seems to find a clear answer to my questions.
First, there are two types of Basic Economy.
1) Domestic BE which uses N fare class
2) TATL BE (which does not use N fare class but rather W,S,T,L,K or G with a special "-lgt" fare basis)
Note TPAC does not presently have BE fares

If flying TATL you are not in an N fare class. TATL BE flights earn RDMs / PQMs when credit to UA MP or partner programs
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL FO
Hi, i have a chase mileageplus awards card (ancient card, no longer offered). do you know if this exempts me from the bag fee for a TATL BE flight? If so, must the ticket be purchased using the card?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Is it true "Basic Economy" fare between N.A. and Europe earns 0 miles. But N.A. to Asia (for example) is always "Economy", hence you can earn miles?
BE is not offered to Asia, but BE does earn miles, depending upon the program.

2) Say if I booked a "Basic Economy" (shown as K fare) from N.A. to Europe, will I still earn status miles at A3 FFP*?
This is a question for the A3 forum.

* Maybe this is somewhat similar to AC metal issue? People were reporting even they booked a fare that suppose to earn miles, but because it is the cheapest fare, AC reports a different fare class to their FFP hence ended up with 0% mile.
I haven't heard any reports of UA doing that.

And A3 FFP site didn't make it too clear either
Deep Discount Economy W, S, T, L, K, G 50%
Basic economy (Only award miles are applicable. Tier mileage accrual is not permitted.) N 50%
You're right; that's not clear at all.

The various *A airlines are trying to standardize on a process for limiting credit on BE-type fares, including the AC Tango fares you mention above. It seems like they haven't quite gotten all of the details worked out.

But as I said on UA website when I try to book a NAEurope it is shown as "Basic Economy" (K).... So...
The intent is clearly for them not to earn status miles, but it's possible they'll earn at 50% until *A is able to finalize that communication. Again, I'd ask in the A3 forum; also, understand that if you're buying this ticket for future accrual, the rules may change out from underneath you.

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
1- Basic Economy is offered on selected routes and may not be offered on some routes that have high demand and high prices.
Actually, BE is offered on almost every TATL or North American route at this point.

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
2- For other FFP programs than MileagePlus, you would earn miles for Basic Economy at the same rate as your booking class without any reduction. For your situation K would earn %50 on A3 M&B even if you booked Basic Economy. However, you would earn %50 of PQM and 0.5 PQS per flight despite your booking class ( fare basis ) when you credit a UA BE ticket to MileagePlus.
I would not count on that. They are clearly trying to detect BE purchases across airlines. For example, a LH BE ticket will accrue 50% PQM on MileagePlus.

So either I will earn 50% status mile because it is "K Fare" ^ or earn 0% status mile because it is "Basic Economy"
Assume 0% status miles, but you could get 50% if you get lucky and A3 doesn't know it's a BE ticket yet.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
You're blaming United for a problem you encountered while attempting to buy a codeshared flight on the LH website. That's not something that most of their passengers will ever do. If you attempt to purchase BE on the United website, you'll get a very obvious message that explains it pretty well. Your issue here is with Lufthansa, because they failed to explain what you were buying and they didn't do a very good job of allowing you to purchase a sensible alternative.
actually, LH does warn you. Not as well as UA, and not about not being able to select E+ (but to be fair, that’s a UA only thing). I tried to book a flight on LH just to see how it works there. When you select a ‘light’ fare on the outbound, first of all, it only allows you to select a ‘light’ fare on the return. All the higher fare classes say something like ‘not combinable’. So it’s somewhat clear. When you confirm your flights, at the top of the next page, there is a Grey box that includes the ‘light’ fare restrictions. It’s not as clear as the UA site, with Xs by the stuff you don’t get, and the need to check a box to agree and click on another to proceed. But between the not combinable language on the non-light options, and the box, most people even doing a cursory look at the page should realize. Since the restrictions are valid for all segments, why would someone think they weren’t getting a ‘light’ fare the whole way.

If the customer doesn’t read it, that shouldn’t be the carriers fault. It’s about 4 lines of text, so it’s not like trying to decipher the fare rules or CoC that are pages long and require extra clicks to even access. It does kind of throw it right in front of you. If the customer can’t bother to read a box at the top of the page that is 4 lines long, and normal text size, or realize it applies to all flights, who’s fault is that? At what point will society learn to read info, rather then simply clicking through on the item that has the lowest price tag, whether it meets their needs or not?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Assume 0% status miles, but you could get 50% if you get lucky and A3 doesn't know it's a BE ticket yet.
That's my assumption as well. I am not betting on getting 50% for 2020 A3 *G qualification... (or I might get hugely disappointed) For now, seems like earning status miles is getting harder and harder...

As for asking at A3 forum, it does come across my mind, but I don't want to cross post.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
That's my assumption as well. I am not betting on getting 50% for 2020 A3 *G qualification... (or I might get hugely disappointed) For now, seems like earning status miles is getting harder and harder...

As for asking at A3 forum, it does come across my mind, but I don't want to cross post.
You'll get the regular credit based on fare code if it's an international -LTG "light" fare.
You shouldn't get status miles only if it's a domestic "N" flight.

AC basic economy is the same. You will receive regular credit based on fare code as long as you use any FFP except Aeroplan (I recently flew AC BE using Asiana club and got regular award/status miles).
W126Pilot likes this.

Last edited by zeer0; Apr 24, 2019 at 1:11 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I’m looking into a R/T from SFO-LHR. As usual, I’m using ITA Matrix for my planning. I saw a fare for about $550. Then I went to UA to book it, only to find out that it’s a BE fare . The regular fare was around $700. According to the Matrix and UA, both the BE fare and regular fare are inexplicably coded as K, making sorting difficult.

Does anyone know how to sort out these results? (My usual N filter doesn’t work) Or will booking via LH allow me to select a seat?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seby12
According to the Matrix and UA, both the BE fare and regular fare are inexplicably coded as K, making sorting difficult.
It's explicable -- light fares are not restricted to a single fare class.

Does anyone know how to sort out these results? (My usual N filter doesn’t work) Or will booking via LH allow me to select a seat?
Booking via LH will not allow you to select a seat.

EWR764, findark and Seby12 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m looking into a R/T from SFO-LHR. As usual, I’m using ITA Matrix for my planning. I saw a fare for about $550. Then I went to UA to book it, only to find out that it’s a BE fare . The regular fare was around $700. According to the Matrix and UA, both the BE fare and regular fare are inexplicably coded as K, making sorting difficult.

TATL BE fares are different than domestic BE fares (again, as I noted upthread, confusion was likely to result when you a carrier calls a fare with different benefits to different markets the same thing). UA BE for transatlantic = LH Light TATL. UA TATL BE does not equal UA domestic BE.

One difference is fare code. While UA domestic BE always is ‘N’, TATL BE can book into any published class, so no surprise UA is offering a BE K fare and regular K fare. Not sure how you sort these in Matrix.

Booking the same K fare on LH vs. UA isn’t going to change anything - at the same price point it’s almost certain to be a ‘light’ fare, which has the same seating restrictions as UA TATL Basic.

Not to be outdone in confusing folks, it gets further complicated when talking about LH, whose equivalent to UAs Basic (TATL) fare is called ‘light’, which gets the same benefits, but also markets its two lowest ‘groups’ of regular fares as Basic (I believe Basic I and Basic II), but don’t have the restrictions of the fare UA calls ‘basic’. Confused yet?
Seby12 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow! No idea this has been discussed so extensively before. I guess I need to spend more time on Flyertalk.

Anyways, thanks for the helpful responses.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Confused!

Just placed a BE fare from LAX EWR BCN open jaw MAD EWR LAX in the fall. Fare was very good. However, I’m platinum and a united explorer card holder and I’m unable to pick an economy plus seat. They’re offering E- When booking for a fee, I would normally just go to the app and pick a seat and I can’t do that there as well without a fee and only for E-..Really confused. I thought Premier Platinum can get advanced seat assignments, is this only at check-in, and if so if E+ is available then can I grab one of those. I travel with one personal item and a carry-on will that be acceptable As well, or will I have to use my card benefit and check the bag (which I don’t want to). The Up fare is $160 to regular economy and I thought I try the basic to see how it works. I thought I would get group one plus a plus seating but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve read several pages here and have been following along but I’m just confused. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 5, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old May 5, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Just placed a BE fare from LAX EWR BCN open jaw MAD EWR LAX in the fall. Fare was very good. However, I’m platinum and a united explorer card holder and I’m unable to pick an economy plus seat. They’re offering E- When booking for a fee, I would normally just go to the app and pick a seat and I can’t do that there as well without a fee and only for E-..Really confused. I thought Premier Platinum can get advanced seat assignments, is this only at check-in, and if so if E+ is available then can I grab one of those. I travel with one personal item and a carry-on will that be acceptable As well, or will I have to use my card benefit and check the bag (which I don’t want to). The Up fare is $160 to regular economy and I thought I try the basic to see how it works. I thought I would get group one plus a plus seating but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve read several pages here and have been following along but I’m just confused. Any thoughts?
where did you book? If on UA.com, did you see the disclaimer that is basically impossible to miss as you must check a box to agree, and then click a box to continue.

BE fares don’t get seat assignments as the default. You can pay for a regular Y seat, at whatever the going rate is. You can not select of pay for or upgrade into any other type of seat (preferred, E+, Premium Economy or premium cabin). Seats will get chosen for you at checkin. Plenty of reports have noted E+ is assigned to elites when UA selects your seat, but it shouldn’t be assumed you’ll get that, and if that happens, it will be a favor and not a given. You will not be able to make any changes to flights, dates , etc. (unless IRROPS). That includes no SDC.

As a elite, you will continue to board in your status group, and be allowed a full size card on bag (I believe TATL BE allows a regular carry on bag anyway). If you check, you still get the platinum waiver as well (but no free checked bags otherwise).

BE comes with restrictions. Probably better, rather then simply trying BE out, that before you do so, understand the restrictions (which are impossible to miss, at least if booking directly through UA.com).
Old May 5, 2019, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Just placed a BE fare from LAX EWR BCN open jaw MAD EWR LAX in the fall. Fare was very good. However, I’m platinum and a united explorer card holder and I’m unable to pick an economy plus seat.
I just did a dummy booking of an LGT fare and it does indeed warn pretty clearly that there are no premier seating benefits.

I think the wiki needs to be updated/clarified, because this restriction is not noted.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by emcampbe

where did you book? If on UA.com, did you see the disclaimer that is basically impossible to miss as you must check a box to agree, and then click a box to continue.

BE fares don’t get seat assignments as the default. You can pay for a regular Y seat, at whatever the going rate is. You can not select of pay for or upgrade into any other type of seat (preferred, E+, Premium Economy or premium cabin). Seats will get chosen for you at checkin. Plenty of reports have noted E+ is assigned to elites when UA selects your seat, but it shouldn’t be assumed you’ll get that, and if that happens, it will be a favor and not a given. You will not be able to make any changes to flights, dates , etc. (unless IRROPS). That includes no SDC.

As a elite, you will continue to board in your status group, and be allowed a full size card on bag (I believe TATL BE allows a regular carry on bag anyway). If you check, you still get the platinum waiver as well (but no free checked bags otherwise).

BE comes with restrictions. Probably better, rather then simply trying BE out, that before you do so, understand the restrictions (which are impossible to miss, at least if booking directly through UA.com).
I booked on UA.com Yes, I saw the disclaimers. However I thought that there were certain waivers for platinum. Thank you for pointing out that I can board in group one, I have an allowance for a carry-on, and actually they gave me the option of regular Y and preferred Y at two different prices for seating. Like I said I placed it on HOLD, and I wanted to give it a whirl and ask others what they have been noticing went flying. Because there’s been some conflicting reports. I did buy the lower class last fall what was it under another name but if actually no changes no checked bag and it worked well for me but I guess It’s worth the extra 160 to me to get all the benefits that I’m entitled to as a platinum. Thanks for the schooling
Old May 7, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
laughed at F !. Yes, I know F is fare and ! is NOT...

Originally Posted by zeer0
AC basic economy is the same. You will receive regular credit based on fare code as long as you use any FFP except Aeroplan (I recently flew AC BE using Asiana club and got regular award/status miles).
Really? Humm. But I have read other stories, some other people are not so lucky (flying AC and AC changed the fare class reporting for other FFP as 0%)... Trying to avoid the uncertainty when the miles are tight and time is running out... But sounds like there is still hope for UA at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.