Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
Just a quick question. Does this fare only apply to TATL, and not TPAC? I am asking because I just scored a G-Fare on DEN-SYD in the recent sale. The United website shows 100% PQM, PQS and PQD credit, but I’m not sure if it would reflect lesser accruals amount if this was actually a BE fare.

Thanks for any input.
UA hasn't introduced BE on TPAC (yet).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
had a question about whether or not check in time matters for seat assignments with TATL Basic Economy, but after reading the main Basic Economy thread, sounds like check in time doesn't matter. one gets assigned whatever seat the computer assigns.

Last edited by HankAAFlyer; Feb 11, 2019 at 7:58 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
These LGT fares qualify for ORC right? I just got IRROP'ed from SEA-SFO-CDG onto SEA-ORD-CDG tomorrow. Website is offering me a slightly later SFO-SEA-CDG routing; not sure if I should keep the new routing since it's technically faster.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
These LGT fares qualify for ORC right?
I don't remember seeing a datapoint either way, but I can't really think of a good reason that they wouldn't.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:39 am

I don't remember seeing a datapoint either way, but I can't really think of a good reason that they wouldn't.
Hm. Well, I suppose 1500 PQM isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I guess I'll go ahead and accept the routing UA rebooked me on and I'll figure it out in two weeks.

I assume accepting the re-route in the new UA app keeps the INVOL status anyway. This will be a rather annoying conversation if it doesn't.

For science!

Edit: my concern is mainly that some overzealous customer service or gate agent will see LGT-fare and credit me the fractional percentage rather than the full PQM as flown that I'd originally booked this under.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Yes, per the BE TATL FAQ:
My guess, and other members in the FT community can chime in here, is that the UA will consider each BE segment as a segment for the purpose of the 4 segment minimum and BIS will accrue at 100% similar to how it currently is (i.e. class of service doesn't impact BIS accrual nor # of segments towards 4 segment minimum).
This is related to the question I have about these "LGT" fares. Does anyone know for certain what the accurals are regarding lifetime status? Do these fares give 100% of the mileage flown on UA metal, or is it set at 50% like PQM accural?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
You’ll get 50% PQMs. They are treated as UA BE.

I doubt they would have made this announcement without a plan in place to convey that information. UA and LH are tightly integrated for TATL flights. All that's really involved is adding information about the branded fare to the ticket information along with everything else (route, booking class, etc.). My guess is that they're making use of the recent introduction of a branded fare product by the ATPCO*. The ticket includes the fare basis; the fare basis would indicate that it's a Light/BE branded fare, and accrual would be calculated at 50%. (As an aside, I expect that UA will eventually get around to giving 25% for domestic AC Tango fares instead of trying to figure that out based on fare class too).

TL/DR: Expect 50% PQM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When UA contacts LH to authorize that mileage credit, LH will inform UA how much to credit. Credit quantity is controlled by the operating carrier.
I wanted to give a brief follow-up on this matter. As I had personally expected despite your very helpful comments, UA is not properly crediting these BE fares - but this time to my/our advantage. It seems to me that they're really only looking at the booking class. I very recently flew FRA-LAX RT and got:

Booking: Economy Light LH (=BE) flights (booking class K) booked in January via LH website, credited to UA.
What I should have received according to UA website: 50% PQM, 0.5 PQS
What I did receive for both legs: 100% PQM, 0 PQS (doesn't even show up on statement)

I doubt that this is a rare exception and would feel pretty confident if you're booking LH in BE and crediting to UA at least for now.
jsloan and Flying Machine like this.

Last edited by flockavelliFT; Feb 19, 2019 at 5:46 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN; AF/KL G
Question UA059 Seat Assignment

Hello travellers,

On UA059 FRA-SFO on the 24th, as *G in K I cannot book any aisle seats although a couple of them show available on united.com.
On lufthansa.com (where the ticket was booked), there are no available aisle seats...
I booked an F and G and I got charged just for the F and the G was not assigned...

The aircraft is a 777-300ER (https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._777-300ER.php) so for 2 people I would prefer an F and a G.

Has anybody else encountered this?

Thanks,

Laik
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is the seat map see on United.com

The only open seats on the aisle are row 34 and 33G

The white seats with black corners are blocked as "preferred" and require an extra fee (Row 32 or lower) -- did you book one of these? If you log on your United account you should be able to pick the open seats you are eligible for.

Seats can not be select on the LH site. Did you book as UA59 or as a LH codeshare.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My guess here is OP has a Basic Economy (UA)/Economy Light (LH) ticket?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: LH SEN; AF/KL G
I do have Basic Economy (UA)/Economy Light (LH). I tried 32G/33G, 33G/34G, 34G/34K and any combinations, it did not work. At payment I either saw only 30USD (or 39USD) instead of seeing two seats.
One time it showed 2, but then I got internal server error...
Right now I have no seats assigned and 3 x 30 USD and 1 x 60 USD charges on my credit card...
Even the callcenter said they cannot help me book...
I did not expect this...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LaikMaik
I do have Basic Economy (UA)/Economy Light (LH). I tried 32G/33G, 33G/34G, 34G/34K and any combinations, it did not work. ..
As *G, you should be able to preselect seat assignment. As this is a LH ticket, that may be messing things up.

Row 32 will require an extra fee as preferred seats (not free for *G)

Originally Posted by LaikMaik
Even the callcenter said they cannot help me book... ...
The UA Twitter team has been useful to others in some odd situations.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:13 am

​​​​​
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Hm. Well, I suppose 1500 PQM isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I guess I'll go ahead and accept the routing UA rebooked me on and I'll figure it out in two weeks.
So the return leg correctly credited for full PQM/etc as originally booked. The reroute segments were rebooked into K-(Basic Economy) according to the UA app, and only earned me a fraction of what the eTicket/receipt indicated I would earn. I emailed in for ORC, so hopefully they'll be able to straighten this out.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Flying International on LGT (Basic Economy) Fare

I know one of the rules of international BE is that you can't change your ticket, but international BE uses regular fare classes whereas domestic BE uses the N fare class.

Does this make any difference in terms of being able to finagle your way into a Same Day Change, or any sort of change for that matter?

Maybe the fare class is irrelevant.

Has anyone flying on an international BE ticket been able to change their ticket, either through SDC, or other means?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
I know one of the rules of international BE is that you can't change your ticket, but international BE uses regular fare classes whereas domestic BE uses the N fare class.

Does this make any difference in terms of being able to finagle your way into a Same Day Change, or any sort of change for that matter?
TATL BE are non-changeable by the passenger -- so no SDC

Maybe the fare class is irrelevant. ,,,
Correct, it is the fare rules that matter

Has anyone flying on an international BE ticket been able to change their ticket, either through SDC, or other means?
Schedule changes, irrops or VDB, yes
voluntary - no

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.