Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare rules are irrelevant in case on irregular operations; i.e. your booked flight is severely delayed or cancelled. Whatever works at that point.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryman554
Got a flight today EWR-SFO: which looks like it' may get weather on both sides. It's a second segment of a TATL "light" fare -- the "first bag not free/no changes" one.

I know we can't change flights or get upgraded -- voluntarily.. Thats' no problem. The quesiton: in the event of IRROPS: does the "no changes" rule get waived or are we really stuck on a (potentially) very delayed flight when there may be better options?

Who has experience with BE/Light/yucko fares with IRROPS?

​​​​​​​When I had a misconnect, rebooking via United app was flawless, even with a light fare. Would have been able to choose LAX/BUR etc. instead of SNA as well. So most likely you don't even need to contact an agent.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:31 am

Hey everyone

I booked a flight from CDG to SFO with United a while ago.
The itinerary is as follows: CDG-MUC (operated by LH), MUC-SFO (operated by UA), SFO-YVR (operated by UA), YVR - CDG (operated by AC).
This is all part of one (basic economy) ticket. I'm not sure if its relevant, but Im just connecting through Munich and Vancouver.

The cabin luggage situation on a basic economy ticket is a bit confusing to me. I understand a carry-on bag is allowed on transatlantic flights only with UA.

LH allows a carry-on no matter what, and the same goes for AC, so I'm not worried about their part of the itinerary. My carry-on should also be allowed on the UA flight from Munich to San Francisco, right?
What will the situation be for the flight from SFO to YVR? If I interpret the rules literally, I wont be allowed to take my carry-on bag with me, even though this short hop is part of a transatlantic journey.
Am I right?

Thank you very much in advance
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: British Airways
Seat selection on "first bag charge/no changes allowed" bookings

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Technically those aren't Economy Basic. If you go into Manage Reservation it'll show up as Economy (no changes, no upgrades). You'll still be able to choose your E+ seating and milage will accrue at 100% as god intended
The United online systems seem very confused with "first bag charge/no changes allowed" fares booked prior to the introduction of full Basic Economy.
Logging into the UK site, my bookings for April were incorrectly showing as Basic Economy, and any attempt to change the seats I had selected straight after booking in November would result in a request to pay $29 per person per leg, which should have been free on the "first bag charge" fare. When logging into the US site, the booking was at least correctly identified as "first bag charge/no changes allowed" but I still couldn't change seats without being asked to pay.

It took a phone call to United and a long discussion with the agent before I was able to reserve the seats I wanted. She was at first adamant that I had to pay for ANY seat selection as I was on a Basic fair, then changed position to state that the request for payment was due to us selecting premium seats. When I pointed out that ALL the seats in the economy section were $29 and the ones we wanted weren't economy plus or bulkhead, she said that she would waive the fees on this occasion and allocate the seats I wanted.

Might be worth double checking any existing "first bag charge/no changes allowed" booking just to make sure no other gremlins have crept in!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by a9504477
Is it possible to have UA BE segments only on 016 tickets or also on other ticket stock?
Anyone able to confirm one way or the other?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tartanguru
It took a phone call to United and a long discussion with the agent before I was able to reserve the seats I wanted. She was at first adamant that I had to pay for ANY seat selection as I was on a Basic fair, then changed position to state that the request for payment was due to us selecting premium seats. When I pointed out that ALL the seats in the economy section were $29 and the ones we wanted weren't economy plus or bulkhead, she said that she would waive the fees on this occasion and allocate the seats I wanted.
United has stared selling "preferred" seats, which are denoted on the seat map with an asterisk. Perhaps that was the issue?

Anyone able to confirm one way or the other?
The last time I looked, domestic BE could only be ticketed in the US on 016 stock. International BE fares should be able to be booked on non-016 stock.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by tartanguru
The United online systems seem very confused with "first bag charge/no changes allowed" fares booked prior to the introduction of full Basic Economy.
Logging into the UK site, my bookings for April were incorrectly showing as Basic Economy, and any attempt to change the seats I had selected straight after booking in November would result in a request to pay $29 per person per leg, which should have been free on the "first bag charge" fare. When logging into the US site, the booking was at least correctly identified as "first bag charge/no changes allowed" but I still couldn't change seats without being asked to pay.

Might be worth double checking any existing "first bag charge/no changes allowed" booking just to make sure no other gremlins have crept in!
It could be random but I suspect it probably has to do with when you purchased your tickets. I bought mine back in September way before the introduction of Economy Basic on TATL. It's likely the closer you get to December 11th, 2018, the less happy UA's IT infrastructure is. You'll also want to check your FF account to ensure the miles accrued are accurate (i.e. 100% PQM of miles flown if crediting to UA). Today for the heck of it I decided to review the reservation and it still showed as Economy (No First Bag, No Changes) and I was able to change my E+ seating on both legs. Side note: I'm in the UK and the UA site was set to English (UK).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: British Airways
United has stared selling "preferred" seats, which are denoted on the seat map with an asterisk. Perhaps that was the issue?
Yes this is what the agent tried to tell me was the issue, however in this case, every single seat in economy was requesting the allocation charge of $29 dollars, so I think it was an IT gremlin.
I guess we'll have these sort of issues until all of the old "first bag charge" fares have worked their way through the system.

This is why people might want todouble check their booking as the experience seem to be inconsistent e.g. my "first bag charge" fares at Christmas were absolutely fine
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:05 am

The last time I looked, domestic BE could only be ticketed in the US on 016 stock. International BE fares should be able to be booked on non-016 stock.
It's an international itinerary i was asking about. I booked one through an OTA and it's ticketed on LH stock. Outbound is on LH, return on UA. Nowhere during the booking was BE mentioned (only that it's a handluggage only fare) and when i look it up on LH it neither says anything there. However, when i open it on the UA site, it says BE for all legs (including the LH ones) and i cannot select E+ seats (which was one of the reasons why i picked UA flights on the return).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Of course it's early in the year to be worrying about elite qualification for 2020, but BE earning at 50% could be a major issue. I'm not sure how much others value PQMs, but I'm looking at a purchase at the moment where 5365 extra PQMs will be earned if I buy up to regular economy, for a cost of $77, or just under 1.5c per mile (with the side benefit of earning an extra 847 RDM, worth perhaps $10. As I will probably need those extra PQMs, this seems to me to be a reasonable deal.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Just wanted to add a data point. Changed my LGT fare to a Q fare this afternoon. Still showed the restrictions, and I couldn't place a GPU, so UA's IT is good enough to close that possible loophole!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's an international itinerary i was asking about. I booked one through an OTA and it's ticketed on LH stock. Outbound is on LH, return on UA. Nowhere during the booking was BE mentioned (only that it's a handluggage only fare) and when i look it up on LH it neither says anything there. However, when i open it on the UA site, it says BE for all legs (including the LH ones) and i cannot select E+ seats (which was one of the reasons why i picked UA flights on the return).
When did you purchase the ticket? UA added these restrictions to its TATL "no changes / no free checked bag" fares in December.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:00 am

When did you purchase the ticket? UA added these restrictions to its TATL "no changes / no free checked bag" fares in December.
It was afterwards but that still doesn't explain why it's not being shown as such when looking up the reservation on LH. There it's only indicated as a "Light" fare w/o luggage.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Can someone clarify for me how LH BE fares booked on LH website into booking class K will be recognized as BE fares when crediting to UA MP? I know it's listed on the website, but I don't understand how this would technically work.
Is there some experience whether these might still be simply recognized as booking class K and thus result in 100% PQM and 0 PQS instead of 50% PQM and 0.5 PQS?

I have a couple of these trips planned and was hoping to qualify for UA *G through these (flying the 4 required UA segments separately). These new changes would impact this plan.
It makes sense to me that these fares would be recognized as BE when booking through UA - but when booking through LH in K?
Thanks

Last edited by flockavelliFT; Jan 18, 2019 at 4:53 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by flockavelliFT
Can someone clarify for me how LH BE fares booked on LH website into booking class K will be recognized as BE fares when crediting to UA MP? I know it's listed on the website, but I don't understand how this would technically work.
Is there some experience whether these might still be simply recognized as booking class K and thus result in 100% PQM and 0 PQS instead of 50% PQM and 0.5 PQS?

I have a couple of these trips planned and was hoping to qualify for UA *G through these (flying the 4 required UA segments separately). These new changes would impact this plan.
It makes sense to me that these fares would be recognized as BE when booking through UA - but when booking through LH in K?
Thanks

You’ll get 50% PQMs. They are treated as UA BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.