Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
MileagePlus Premier members
Chase MileagePlus cardholders
Members of the U.S. military
Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by delpiero223
Yes, applies to everyone on the same booking. Just made use of this benefit in Sept. on a "Light" fare AMS-KOA.
Thanks.

Just want to confirm if you made use of this benefit on LH (not UA) in europe. If not, does anybody know if LH extends to others on the reservation?

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

One would assume so. Just like any other non-status passenger on the same PNR of an elite member is booking. Just my hypothesis, but I believe so
I don't want to assume anything regarding LH treatment (pesky german efficiency!) on a UA light ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 27, 2018 at 12:14 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
In further confusion to upthread, I decided to give it a try to apply RPUs. It wouldnt let me online, but I called in and the agent applied them. One glitched, but another agent was able to fix it later. Havent been upgraded yet, but it shows the normal upgrade requested.
I too couldn't do it online, but when I called in on two separate occasions they clearly knew it was a restricted fare and wouldn't allow the application of an RPU..
Originally Posted by ryman554
Thanks.

Just want to confirm if you made use of this benefit on LH (not UA) in europe. If not, does anybody know if LH extends to others on the reservation?

I don't want to assume anything regarding LH treatment (pesky german efficiency!) on a UA light ticket.
I was referring to UA metal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 27, 2018 at 1:37 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold

I too couldn't do it online, but when I called in on two separate occasions they clearly knew it was a restricted fare and wouldn't allow the application of an RPU..
Then Im pretty lucky. 3 separate agents (since I had an issue with the second RPU), applied the upgrade, and one of the upgrades came through today!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks.

Then Im pretty lucky. 3 separate agents (since I had an issue with the second RPU), applied the upgrade, and one of the upgrades came through today!
Nice to hear that you scored, and one cleared already. Good luck with the next one. Just curious when I pull up my reservation on the app this is at the heading do you have the same?

This Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) ticket cant be changed and is nonrefundable except as stated in our 24-hour flexible booking policy. Travelers are not eligible to purchase premium cabin upgrades.

Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:30 pm

Nice to hear that you scored, and one cleared already. Good luck with the next one. Just curious when I pull up my reservation on the app this is at the heading do you have the same?

This Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) ticket cant be changed and is nonrefundable except as stated in our 24-hour flexible booking policy. Travelers are not eligible to purchase premium cabin upgrades.

No, I dont see that heading on the app or website. I booked this ticket over the phone at UA, but it is certainly light fare codes (L and T), and was the same price as light, and the phone agent mentioned it when I booked. I wonder if thats what allowed the agents to apply upgrades.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks.

Only valid for Lufthansa flights, Lufthansa does not honor this. For Lufthansa only 1 bag free of charge due to temporary *G exemption rule.

Should also work when your first flight is UA and baggage checked through on a Lufthansa connection, but most likely not the other direction.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:41 pm

No, I dont see that heading on the app or website. I booked this ticket over the phone at UA, but it is certainly light fare codes (L and T), and was the same price as light, and the phone agent mentioned it when I booked. I wonder if thats what allowed the agents to apply upgrades.
I booked mine online and I booked into K
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure it is a -LGT fare, then? The single 'fare class' letter doesn't tell you, you need the full code (which does/would end in 'LGT'). It's handled differently than Basic Economy, which can be identified just from the fare class (N).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Are you sure it is a -LGT fare, then? The single 'fare class' letter doesn't tell you, you need the full code (which does/would end in 'LGT'). It's handled differently than Basic Economy, which can be identified just from the fare class (N).
Actually it's not basic economy it's an LGT fare which books into K, L and T (read the nine page link that's above the first post of this thread)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually it's not basic economy it's an LGT fare which books into K, L and T (read the nine page link that's above the first post of this thread)
The point is, there are LGT and non-LGT fares that book into K, L, and T (and S, and W in some cases). It sounds like you have the non-LGT version. Also, Im confused about what kind of upgrade instrument youre using; cash + miles?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

The point is, there are LGT and non-LGT fares that book into K, L, and T (and S, and W in some cases). It sounds like you have the non-LGT version. Also, Im confused about what kind of upgrade instrument youre using; cash + miles?
I have the LGT fare, I am sure of that mine booked into K. I attempted to use an RPU. for one of the domestic legs, and that's when I was notified by the reservation agent that the fare does not qualify. I knew that going in, because it's clearly denoted when making the reservation and you even check off a box to say that you understand. I tried calling in because there wasn't an upgrade box available when I viewed my ticketed reservation, and per one other poster here they said they had success with reaching an agent and having them manually apply the RPU
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the LGT fare, I am sure of that mine booked into K. I attempted to use an RPU. for one of the domestic legs, and that's when I was notified by the reservation agent that the fare does not qualify. I knew that going in, because it's clearly denoted when making the reservation and you even check off a box to say that you understand. I tried calling in because there wasn't an upgrade box available when I viewed my ticketed reservation, and per one other poster here they said they had success with reaching an agent and having them manually apply the RPU
I'm sure you do, based on the message you quoted shown on your reservation stating some of the restrictions, but I'm not sure dinoscool3 does. It's possible, in dinoscool3's case, that the fare is LGT but somehow the RPU was applied despite the headline restriction; however, from the stated facts, at least, it's also possible that the fare is not -LGT, and there was a different issue (e.g., ticket out of sync) blocking the RPU which an agent was able to resolve.

The point is that quoting the fare class you book into is not the same as specifying -LGT or not. For example, KLA0ZNCT applies for CHI-LON and is not a -LGT fare (does not end in LGT) and does not have the change restrictions that prevent upgrades. On the other hand, KLA0ZLGT is also for CHI-LON but is a -LGT fare (ends in LGT) and does carry restrictions, so it disallows upgrades and other changes. And yet, both book as a K fare class.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:50 pm

I suppose there’s no way to check the full fare basis after booking, so who knows. I do know the fare was the same price, and the agent told me it was. But there might have been a glitch somewhere along the way and I just got lucky!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:18 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Not quite true just yet, see footnote 3:

However, this has been tightened significantly since I last read their rules, and it seems like other LH Group carriers may not have the leniency anymore. It does seem like the very near future will phase out *G baggage benefits on these fares.
That's interesting. When I tried to book a TATL flight a week ago on ual.com, I had picked UA metal on outbound and LH metal on inbound. When I went to check the baggage fee page after inputting my *G status, the fee went to $0 on the outbound, but remained at $60 for the first bag on the inbound. That's when I went on to LH's website to double-check. I didn't see the footnote you quoted.

LAX
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LAX
When I tried to book a TATL flight a week ago on ual.com, I had picked UA metal on outbound and LH metal on inbound. When I went to check the baggage fee page after inputting my *G status, the fee went to $0 on the outbound, but remained at $60 for the first bag on the inbound.
UA rarely gets your LH (or LX) baggage allowance right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.