Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold

Apologies if posted already but I didn't see it anywhere.

Stopped in Cleveland UC today and there were no local papers or USA Today. Was told by the front desk that this was a quiet announcement to eliminate the local papers and USA Todays and only offer Wall Street Journal. This started on June 1.

Anyone else noticing this at other clubs? Yes, I know many people don't read a physical paper but I find them very convenient while traveling and this would be a definite loss for my membership.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Apologies if posted already but I didn't see it anywhere.

Stopped in Cleveland UC today and there were no local papers or USA Today. Was told by the front desk that this was a quiet announcement to eliminate the local papers and USA Todays and only offer Wall Street Journal. This started on June 1.

Anyone else noticing this at other clubs? Yes, I know many people don't read a physical paper but I find them very convenient while traveling and this would be a definite loss for my membership.
I haven’t heard of or seen any reduction in hard copy of newspapers(?) in UCs. I will be checking out a couple of UCs (PHL IAH) today and report back.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk

I haven’t heard of or seen any reduction in hard copy of newspapers(?) in UCs. I will be checking out a couple of UCs (PHL IAH) today and report back.
Curious what you find out. I heard someone else in the UC ask the front desk and got same response. Effective June 1, no more local papers or USA Today.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Curious what you find out. I heard someone else in the UC ask the front desk and got same response. Effective June 1, no more local papers or USA Today.
The only thing I know is that, on May 15th, the papers were in short supply. My wife had to go to 3 UC at ORD to get the full supply: the local one, the USA Today, the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Delta recently did away with all newspapers, but there was enough negative feedback that they brought them back. Here's the thread over in the DL forum: No More Newspapers in SC
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Two weeks ago, as I posted previously, I noted no newspapers in the new SFO Polaris Lounge. So I went to the international UC and picked up a WSJ and returned to the Polaris Lounge. This was in May. Like the OP, I enjoy reading a physical newspaper and taking it onto the plane with me. I hope this hasn't changed come June 1.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I just love the term “quiet announcement.”
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I was in a couple of the IAH UCs at the end of May and they did not have any local papers. We had just moved away and I was looking forward to picking up a Sunday Chronicle to browse. I asked and they said they stop carrying the Sunday Paper a couple of weeks ago. I did not think to ask about weekdays. As it was a Sunday, I did not even look for the weekend USA Today, as thats always very stale by Sunday.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
The UC in PHL has the WSJ only.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
The UC in PHL has the WSJ only.
Cheap, Cheap, Cheap. The new UA, thanks to Scott Kirby and Oscar Munoz.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This is an annoyance, if true. I like getting some Sudokus, crosswords, and reading material for planes.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
SFO UC (main one) had only WSJ when I came through Saturday (6/2). Attendant said "only WSJ today", which I simply assumed they had some sourcing issue. Guess she meant "new policy going forward".
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:50 am

In LAX now, only WSJ
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM
None @ IAH C on 5/30.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:56 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Wait, people take the papers away with them? I always assumed that they should stay in the club for everyone to enjoy. What about magazines like the Economist, would you take those away also?

While I think that's it poor form for UA to remove things that people are using in the clubs, I also think its not their place to provide in-flight reading material. That should be on the flyer, not on the club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.