Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Sent an email to [email protected] and GS customer service expressing my displeasure.
I for one still enjoy reading the local paper.
"Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.

Starting June 1, We will only offer the Wall Street Journal in United Clubs in the continental United States. We have heard consistent feedback from the majority of our members and guests that modern, refreshed facilities and enhanced food and beverage offerings are the most important aspects of their airport lounge experience. This change allows us to better focus and invest in these areas. Customer are invited to view other favorite periodicals by using their personal electronic device or smart phone.

Don't hesitate to contact us again if there’s any other way we can help."
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm surprised McPaper lasted this long.

Good move by United. Next, they should get rid of the WSJ, all those other paper mags and rags, and all the plastic drink bottles.
I agree. At best, newspapers contain old news and they are dirty, I hate that ink all over my hands and clothing.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I agree. At best, newspapers contain old news and they are dirty, I hate that ink all over my hands and clothing.
To each their own. I liked reading the local papers, and I'm not going to subscribe to the digital edition of every local paper of each of the cities to which I travel (which is a requirement for many of them if you want to read their articles). So for me, this is another cut in benefits.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
"Starting June 1, We will only offer the Wall Street Journal in United Clubs in the continental United States."
Although I'm not the most politically inclined person, if carrying just one newspaper it seems like it would be better to choose a centrist newspaper like USA Today versus the right-leaning WSJ or left-leaning NYT.

I'll also echo others who express gratitude for local papers; As a San Franciscan I'll never subscribe to the "Plain Dealer" or "Rocky Mountain Post" but feel that their local news is very healthy for my brain during a connection.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
"legendary" when referring to ua1flyer.... should require no explanation.

But I'll help: ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS
I know who he is ... just don't see what it has to do with the topic of carbon footprint
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Well that is your preference. I still want hard copies of papers and get 3 (Washington Post, NY Times, WSJ) delivered to my door each day except when I am flying internationally. Looks as if I will have to continue getting papers at home even when I am traveling.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: NZ *E

Starting June 1, We will only offer the Wall Street Journal in United Clubs in the continental United States. We have heard consistent feedback from the majority of our members and guests that modern, refreshed facilities and enhanced food and beverage offerings are the most important aspects of their airport lounge experience. This change allows us to better focus and invest in these areas. Customer are invited to view other favorite periodicals by using their personal electronic device or smart phone.

Lol at "enhanced food and beverage offerings" -- as if that will ever happen
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
"I'll never subscribe to the "Plain Dealer" or "Rocky Mountain Post" but feel that their local news is very healthy for my brain during a connection.
RockyMountainPost is an online-only, news, political, environmental, business, opinion and outdoor lifestyle site that offers an independent view of the events and people shaping Colorado’s Western Slope, the entire state of Colorado and the Rocky Mountain region. The printed version was shut down on February 27, 2009.

I think you may be referring to the DENVER POST, which is available with ink, or on-line (for an $11.00 monthly fee) that is nearly impossible to cancel once you sign up.I cancelled the Denver Post about 2 months ago after about 10/15 phone calls. I still get as many calls from them, weekly, as I do from the Micro-Soft folks in India.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

ctownflyer - Thank you for sharing this. Well I certainly never told UA to stop stocking USAToday and local newspapers. At the SFO UCs, many pax took these papers to read, and I certainly doubt UA paid full price for the quantity they bought. This was a popular benefit of using the UC, and clearly represents a cut-back in service, IMHO.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I appreciate that some think this is great news and feel printed media is a bad thing. That said, I would prefer you not decide for me what is best. I still prefer printed material for reading, and I’m disappointed that options have been removed.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I appreciate that some think this is great news and feel printed media is a bad thing. That said, I would prefer you not decide for me what is best. I still prefer printed material for reading, and I’m disappointed that options have been removed.
Hope that you guys write to UA
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: UA GS & 3MM, HHONORS Diamond
For me, the free newspapers were an important perk

Sad to hear that only the WSJ is available. Was wondering what was going on this week and assumed that I was too late and that the other papers were gone. I enjoyed reading the local paper, USA Today, NYT, together with the WSJ when flying. I would tell people that my UC fees were compensated by newspapers alone. At least most of the hotels I go to have the papers...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by worldtrav
In this electronic era news papers are filled with old news, but potentially more information than provided online. You must be remembering when newspapers where a respected source of news. Back when they where monochrome (and used words to convey information) and printed with an oil based inks. The inks used on todays news papers (with their flashy colors and pictures) are water based and more environmentally friendly.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Starting June 1, We will only offer the Wall Street Journal in United Clubs in the continental United States. "
I can verify the "continental" aspect - local Honolulu paper, USA Today, and WSJ all available at the HNL UC on June 6.

Bartender and manager also were talking in a fairly excited about more food options at HNL in a few weeks - I didn't get all the specifics, seemed many were catered to Asian passengers and they also mentioned fresh guacamole to go with the salsa they already offer....
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:23 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G

... until our national WSJ contract expires!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.