Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BOSskier

No offense, but this is not at all a useful comment. United raised club rates, and now expect their members to pay for previously provided items? They don’t just appear free on your device in full, FYI. It’s simply shifting the cost burden to their customers. Another reason my Club Card is history.
Especially WSJ. And some of us much prefer reading on a piece of paper.. any screen is going to strain my eyes more and I already stare at one 70+ hours a week.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BOSskier

No offense, but this is not at all a useful comment. United raised club rates, and now expect their members to pay for previously provided items? They don’t just appear free on your device in full, FYI. It’s simply shifting the cost burden to their customers. Another reason my Club Card is history.
I suspect this may be at least in part generational...and I feel like I'm on the edge of the divide -- but not sure which edge I fall on.

Yes, there's a certain something about picking up a physical newspaper from time to time--and yes the optics are bad cutting this so close to the membership rate hike, but practically: I can't recall having ever touched one of the UC newspapers/magazines -- and I'm certainly not choosing to patronize the club for the reading material. I like the WSJ, and if I were to pick up a dead-tree publication it's probably at the top of my pick, but that doesn't mean it being available (or unavailable) has any particular bearing on my perceived value of UC membership. If I wanted something to read I'd probably bring it with me -- as I do with books, magazines, etc. in electronic or dead tree form. Aside from the historical custom, I'm honestly not sure why the UC should be providing the WSJ, USAT, NYT, or any other newspaper any more than they should be providing novels and business books.

But I also place the highest value on the tranquility and staff assistance for smooth travel. The beverages and occasional snacks are nice, but even those are ancillary to what I perceive as the main benefit of the club.

That said, I've noticed in some other lounges as well as some hotels the migration to apps/services like PressReader giving free access to electronic versions of publications. It certainly isn't the same as having dead trees between your fingers or being able to judge progress based on the thickness of the publication already read vs that yet to discover, but it sure is convenient and you don't have to worry about someone having made off with the last copy of whatever you wanted to read. If UA were to offer something along these lines, that might ease some of the strain (eyestrain notwithstanding)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Yeah I'm not happy about this either. Just the other day I stopped into the San Diego club -- just to grab a newspaper and go to the bathroom. Was there all of 5 mins.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by dordal
Yeah I'm not happy about this either. Just the other day I stopped into the San Diego club -- just to grab a newspaper and go to the bathroom. Was there all of 5 mins.
oh gosh, sounds like they no longer have toilet paper in the bathroom so people are left having to improvise.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by geo979
oh gosh, sounds like they no longer have toilet paper in the bathroom so people are left having to improvise.
Don't be giving them any ideas!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
They've been pushing guests of both the United Club and the Polaris Lounge to download the digital news viewer that lets you read newspapers/magazines digitally on your device for free. Would make sense to eliminate the paper version if more and more people were adopting to digital versions.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
They've been pushing guests of both the United Club and the Polaris Lounge to download the digital news viewer that lets you read newspapers/magazines digitally on your device for free. Would make sense to eliminate the paper version if more and more people were adopting to digital versions.
How are "they' communicating this? The reception folks at EWR offered no guidance like this nor did the GS rep to whom I talked to about this. And how do you get around paywalls?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manstein58
How are "they' communicating this? The reception folks at EWR offered no guidance like this nor did the GS rep to whom I talked to about this. And how do you get around paywalls?
I think there's a placard somewhere with instructions for downloading an app or the like. I've never tried it, and it seems a bit fiddly.

Definitely less convenient than grabbing a physical paper.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:10 am

I'm also a fan of physical paper. I use the time on climb-out and landing when using laptops is verboten to have a nice, relaxing read in a format that brings me, personally, great pleasure. Definitely worth writing in about.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Newspapers are dirty, get ink all over your hands/clothes...
Fish & Chips tasted GREAT wrapped in Newspaper (back in the day)!
How did we survive?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
As of yesterday, BOS still had The Globe.
Probably just to irritate the many FlyerTalk posters who yearn for United to get rid of "The Globe"

Originally Posted by cranky1K
Just chatted with the agent at ORD B16 club. She confirmed the papers and magazines are gone. Reason, US thinks customers prefer to read online. She suggested writing in to complain.
Write in? Like on paper? In an envelope? With a stamp!?!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58
There have been table-top trifolds calling out the app, encouraging guests to download it for free for access to numerous newspapers and magazines. I believe as long as you're connected to the internet via the connection in the club, you have unblocked access to the publications without having to pay or log-in through paywalls. Similar to the tabletop ads for the Chase credit card.

I used the app once about 8 weeks ago when in the Polaris Lounge and deleted it when I left, so I don't even remember what app it was or who the company that developed it. I figured no sense keeping an app on my device if it only works inside UA clubs.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
There have been table-top trifolds calling out the app, encouraging guests to download it for free for access to numerous newspapers and magazines. I believe as long as you're connected to the internet via the connection in the club, you have unblocked access to the publications without having to pay or log-in through paywalls. Similar to the tabletop ads for the Chase credit card.

I used the app once about 8 weeks ago when in the Polaris Lounge and deleted it when I left, so I don't even remember what app it was or who the company that developed it. I figured no sense keeping an app on my device if it only works inside UA clubs.
Can you download with the app? Didn't realize UA had adopted this. I know most LH group airlines do (but they still have physical papers)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Can you download with the app? Didn't realize UA had adopted this. I know most LH group airlines do (but they still have physical papers)
I honestly didn't use it enough to know all the features. I downloaded/installed it once I saw the call-out to in the lounge, played with it a bit, but then deleted it after not being in a UA lounge for a while.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
How sad. The print WSJ was an important benefit of the club. I find the print and digital versions of newspapers not to be equivalent -- they are different products. The print newspaper in particular is wonderful if you peruse each page in order, getting a holistic view of the news. Online I tend to hone in on only my particular interests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.