Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:07 am

Was at the LAX UC last Friday afternoon and they had the L.A.Times, WSJ and China Daily available.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by halls120
So I am sitting in a LH senator club right across from the newspaper rack. Seven different German newspapers, the New York Times, and the Financial Times. Really newspapers, self pour drinks, and decent food. Makes me glad that most of my flying in the next few years will be on LH group aircraft.
Don't rub it in. Lol
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:39 am

So I am sitting in a LH senator club right across from the newspaper rack. Seven different German newspapers, the New York Times, and the Financial Times. Really newspapers, self pour drinks, and decent food. Makes me glad that most of my flying in the next few years will be on LH group aircraft.
Same and even more International papers at the "boring" OS Vienna lounge. Plus tons of magazines, freshly baked breads etc.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I just sent my email expressing my displeasure with this change.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:47 am

I'm wondering if instead of a cost-cutting move, this was more of a revenue generation move and the WSJ made an exclusive deal with UA for distribution in the clubs. I have to imagine that an exclusive deal would be desirable to a single paper and lucrative for UA.

Not to say that money would be reinvested in club amenities or anything. Into the black hole it goes.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
As of yesterday, BOS still had The Globe.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
It's funny... I've spent an inordinate amount of time in the Toronto trans-border MLL this year (second only to the CLE UC) and on my last trip I noticed the entire wall of newspapers and magazines near the restrooms -- in both French and English of course.
On my most recent trip I wound up in AC Business ORD-YYZ and had seatback entertainment (on a E190 no less -- though a mainline crew), a plated 'meal'/snack (that I slept through the original service of but the purser appeared at my seat with a tray within moments of my waking) and the purser walked the J cabin repeatedly offering a paper -- on a 90 minute flight. On UA I'm lucky if I even see the snack basket. Oh, and the boarding was so much cleaner/more efficient, IMO.

I'm trying to avoid being all 'the grass is greener' but comparing essentially the same itineraries operated by UA and AC, it seems like the only category UA scores the 'win' in is the UC agents themselves. Oh, and electrical outlets are more plentiful in the UCs than the YYZ MLL. (And the LH Senator Lounge I spent 6 hours at in FRA last year, mostly sleeping, beats everything but the ORD Polaris lounge hands down.)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So I am sitting in a LH senator club .....the New York Times....
Every time my wife and I are in the ORD Polaris Lounge, my wife goes to the shower area (as that's where you are supposed to ask for the newspapers) and asks for the New York Times. They don't have it. But one Sunday, when she did not ask for it as she knew that there's no way they would have the Sunday one, they gave her the Sunday New York Times. My wife thought she hit the jackpot. I have to write to the 1K line that they need to include the New York Times. We do get it in the LH Senator Lounge in MUC and in some of the lounges in Asia (at least the International Edition).

But they never had any local papers in the ORD Polaris Lounge.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Over the past 6 days I have been in the Denver club (2X) and EWR and found only WSJ. AMEX in Philly had Sunday NYT and the local paper. Sorry if I missed it-where do I send an email complaint about the cutbacks?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalRef
Over the past 6 days I have been in the Denver club (2X) and EWR and found only WSJ. AMEX in Philly had Sunday NYT and the local paper. Sorry if I missed it-where do I send an email complaint about the cutbacks?
see
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
United Club contact information
Contact the United ClubSM Service Center via email ([email protected]) or phone (1-866-UA-CLUBS (1-866-822-5827) from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST daily).
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
LAS only has the Journal now. two weeks ago they still had the Review Journal (I think that is what the local paper is)
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
HNL has WSJ, USA Today, and Honolulu Star Bulletin tonight. Maybe selection will wither as contracts terminate?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS & 3MM, HHONORS Diamond
...and then there were none. No newspapers at EWR in United Club or Polaris Lounge.

Today no newspapers of any kind in either the United Club or the Polaris lounge at EWR. I was told newspapers have been “phased out” and that I should complain to United customer service.

Last edited by nntman; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:39 pm Reason: Forgot a word
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, Marriott Lifetime Ti
Newspapers in United Club

I recently noticed that United Clubs at IAD, SFO, LAX only offer the Wall Street Journal now. I asked and was told that was a recent change. While I do read The WSJ, I also like to pick up local newspapers or USA Today to pass the time in flight. I have already seen every movie offered, why can't they refresh the entertainment more often. It seem the same movie selections last for months.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 15, 2018 at 9:06 pm Reason: merged into consolidated thread
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
You can certainly bring your own reading and entertainment. Movies, TV shows, papers you prefer, you name it. All can be downloaded onto a tablet and brought on board, or to the United Club. Easier to meet your needs and desires than wait for someone else to meet them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.