Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
The majority of UA international flights land at C. With overflow landing at B.
Are you sure? In my experience, most international arrivals at EWR have been allocated to Terminal B, including UA. I have only arrived in Terminal C once - KEF-EWR on UA last month due to an occupying company plane at the scheduled Terminal B gate.

At any rate, using the PL as an arrival lounge would require an onward same day departure ticket, unless TSA allows re-entry.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Been there 4 times already and can only say great things about it. Great food, great beverage ,great service all in the most relaxing atmosphere !!!! Not to mention the showers, great bathrooms and sleeping suites. Great job United!
My First visit on 14th June. I agree Excellent service. Buffet offerings: good selection of hot & cold dishes and spacious surrounding. Prefer EWR to ORD.
Was connecting to YYZ having arrived from Polaris International flight with domestic connection LAX-EWR.
Will book future international flights from YYZ connecting in EWR .
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Been there 4 times already and can only say great things about it. Great food, great beverage ,great service all in the most relaxing atmosphere !!!! Not to mention the showers, great bathrooms and sleeping suites. Great job United!
I have to admit UA really did a nice job on this lounge -- few to Shanghai last week and lounge was empty in morning - I would imagine it is much more crowded in the late afternoon but was very impressed.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:53 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I got to visit the EWR PL for the first time last Sunday (6/24), coming in from Europe (AMS-EWR-SYR). A few observations.

1. To state the obvious, it's a lovely lounge and generally well done. Every other observation is necessarily relative to other PLs (in my case, the ORD lounge).
2. Even though my connecting flight left from Terminal A, I arrived at Terminal B, cleared customs, took the AirTrain to C, went through security, and entered the PL with zero problems. Didn't even have to tell anybody why I was clearing security in Terminal C. No cause for stress if you're doing this.
3. The shower suites are great, although I was surprised to be asked to wait for about 5 minutes while an attendant cleaned one out for me. Particularly since I was there at noon, and the lounge was almost entirely empty.
4. The a la carte food was good -- no complaints relative to ORD. However, the service was... spotty? Friendly service when I got it, but not attentive. I spent quite a long time, after I finished my first course, trying to get somebody's attention to order another.
5. I was slightly disappointed with the spirits selection -- it's similar to ORD, but I think slightly fewer options.

My main takeaway was that, while I'm always happy to visit a PL, the EWR location has a noticeable service issue. All the staff were nice when I interacted with them, but I had trouble getting help... and I saw a lot of staff hanging around in small groups chatting. This is sort of consistent with my experience of EWR in general. Maybe the lounge management will make an effort to influence the staff culture?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:01 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QBK
I got to visit the EWR PL for the first time last Sunday (6/24), coming in from Europe (AMS-EWR-SYR). A few observations.

1. To state the obvious, it's a lovely lounge and generally well done. Every other observation is necessarily relative to other PLs (in my case, the ORD lounge).
2. Even though my connecting flight left from Terminal A, I arrived at Terminal B, cleared customs, took the AirTrain to C, went through security, and entered the PL with zero problems. Didn't even have to tell anybody why I was clearing security in Terminal C. No cause for stress if you're doing this.
3. The shower suites are great, although I was surprised to be asked to wait for about 5 minutes while an attendant cleaned one out for me. Particularly since I was there at noon, and the lounge was almost entirely empty.
4. The a la carte food was good -- no complaints relative to ORD. However, the service was... spotty? Friendly service when I got it, but not attentive. I spent quite a long time, after I finished my first course, trying to get somebody's attention to order another.
5. I was slightly disappointed with the spirits selection -- it's similar to ORD, but I think slightly fewer options.

My main takeaway was that, while I'm always happy to visit a PL, the EWR location has a noticeable service issue. All the staff were nice when I interacted with them, but I had trouble getting help... and I saw a lot of staff hanging around in small groups chatting. This is sort of consistent with my experience of EWR in general. Maybe the lounge management will make an effort to influence the staff culture?
Agree with your review. Except on the service. Service was non existent. First decided to do sit down dining -- no one in the area to sit you down (please wait to be seated). Then went to the Buffet --was good -- but all the staff were on the side chatting. Someone needs to manage this lounge!!!
Much nicer feel than the ultra crowded UC.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Sitting in the lounge at the moment.

Scooted through security to get here for the first time, expecting that I could catch the last 5 minutes of a World Cup football match, only to be told that there are no TVs in the lounge.

What kind of civilized lounge is this???

:

All kidding aside, yes it is a million times better than the UC it replaced (albeit starting from a very low bar).

The food was edible, you can get something other than Bud without having to pay, and it's a much more pleasant atmosphere. Weirdly enough, it reminded me a little of the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR, or maybe that's the Belvedere vodka talking.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Sitting in the lounge at the moment.

Scooted through security to get here for the first time, expecting that I could catch the last 5 minutes of a World Cup football match, only to be told that there are no TVs in the lounge.

What kind of civilized lounge is this???
Would you rather have no TV or a TV blaring CNN's latest episode of Trump says the darnedest things? IMHO no TV is a welcome addition.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Would you rather have no TV or a TV blaring CNN's latest episode of Trump says the darnedest things? IMHO no TV is a welcome addition.
x1000
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just got off HNL-EWR. GPU to LHR actually cleared, so sitting in Polaris dining room waiting on eggs Benedict. More staff than customers. The “workstation chairs” won’t last six more months - the tabletops are breaking. At least 4 are broken. Design doesn’t match requirements of actual use
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Not surprising that there is hardly anyone in the lounge in the morning (which is why I think early p.s. TCON passengers in J should have access...but I digress). As for the design - I bet that the issue is that too many folks lean on the tables, causing them to break. It’s not UA’s fault that folks have terrible seating posture, but it does seem like they designed these in a similar fashion to the fold-out tables on the plane - and people treat it like a regular desk.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Not surprising that there is hardly anyone in the lounge in the morning (which is why I think early p.s. TCON passengers in J should have access...but I digress). As for the design - I bet that the issue is that too many folks lean on the tables, causing them to break. It’s not UA’s fault that folks have terrible seating posture, but it does seem like they designed these in a similar fashion to the fold-out tables on the plane - and people treat it like a regular desk.
Yeah, it’s only 1/2” unsupported Corian plastic. It’s not going to take much load.

Other notes: Newspapers (WSJ) stored under reception desk. You have to ask for one. Staff is amazingly friendly and attentive in early morning. Probably goes downhill as it fills. Shower has neat push buttons for rain nozzle and regular shower nozzle. Most popular choice at ala crate dining are the eggs Benedict - I noticed at least 50% of the people were ordering it.

The occupied/unoccupied lights for the restrooms are a nice touch (probably especially so when crowded).
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I went there last Saturday with very little time as my INTL flight came in late. It's the best US airline lounge I've been to. Buffet food was on par if not better than AA Flagship.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:30 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Aren't the SFO work stations exactly the same? If so I'd have thought we'd be getting more comments about this problem from there, or is it a sad reflection on east coast vs west coast posture (and maybe weight)...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TCD
Aren't the SFO work stations exactly the same? If so I'd have thought we'd be getting more comments about this problem from there, or is it a sad reflection on east coast vs west coast posture (and maybe weight)...
Maybe it's because out here we consider them "privacy suites" not "workstations" and use the table for nothing more taxing than holding our Perrier/Chardonnay
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Yeah, it’s only 1/2” unsupported Corian plastic. It’s not going to take much load.

I can envision someone pushing down on the table to assist themselves getting out of the chair, and *snap*.

It would seem a support on the underside might solve this issue. The "v1" of the chair at ORD had a retractable table, which appears to be of a more robust design (though the narrower chair is not quite as comfortable for more robust, ahem, passengers...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.